1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: the "Secret of the Ooze" (Finished!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gvblake22, 7 Mar 2006.

1. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Hey Hey!!! Thanks for bringing my thread back from the grave because I actually have a little progress to share with you all! :clap:

Started out by simply drilling out the holes a little bigger on the PSU mounting bracket to make sure everything still fit good (and it did):
    [​IMG]
    ...still have to cut those long edges of the braket down when I figure out exactly how the PSU will be mounted/positioned. The 80mm fan next to the PSU is just for reference. There will be an 80mm exhaust fan there in the final case, so I figured I would just throw it in for the picture.

Then my dad drove down to the shop and hauled a big heavy box out of the truck. To my delight, it was a brand new SCROLL SAW!!!!!!!!
    After a bit of assembly, I was able to put this beast together:
    [​IMG]
    I messed around with some scrap pieces of plexi and this thing cuts beautifully! I can't wait to get further along in the project so I don't have to cut stuff like this by hand anymore:
    [​IMG]
    ...and yes, I did make that, but it is for another little side project. More on that later... ;)

After the flames were cut out and the scroll saw assembled, I went back to working on the case. The focus this time was to try and get the pieces of aluminum angle set up so I can attach the front and back panels. This is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There will be one of these pieces in all four corners of the front and back (8 pieces in total). And there will also be another drilled and tapped hole on that bare side that will accept the screw through the front or rear panel (so the one pictured above is only half done).

Now the frame is nearly finished!!
    [​IMG]

Next task was to get to work on the new front panel replacement:
    [​IMG]
    ..and here it is with the screw holes drilled and installed on the front of the case (paper towel role for size reference only :p):
    [​IMG]

Then I wanted to get to work on the green frames that go behind the front and back panels...
    I started with a 12" x 12" piece of the florescent green acrylic (1/8" thickness) and measured everything out from there:
    [​IMG]

Because I am a cheapscate, I just guestimated that the 12" x 12" piece would be enough, but it didn't end up being quite big enough for what I was hoping for...
    But I got the piece cut out and installed and I think it still might turn out ok:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously there is still a lot of finishing work to be done on the front panel frame (plus the creation of the back panel frame); stay tuned! :dremel:

2. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

awesome case man. im a long time browser, finally joined the forums. one question for you: where were u able to order your acrylic from? i've had the hardest time finding a place close to me to order from.

3. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I've gotten all my acrylic from Delvies Plastics. They are based in Utah, and I've placed orders both by phone and through the internet and have had a great experience each time. They even offer custom laser cutting services (though I have yet to try it out). I highly recommend them though, I've gotten great service, they have a wide selection of colors and thicknesses, and their prices are very reasonable.

4. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

awesome!! thank you very much! now i can build the case for my g/f comp, and finish mine!!

5. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Anytime jodah. Good luck with your project(s) :thumb:

6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Finally this thread is resurrected, it's been a long time, but I never gave out hope on this one :hehe:

That's some grade-A acrylic work you've done here, do you have some deadline set on this thing, mean, when do you expect to get it ready?

Nice flames btw. Be sure to show us what you're going to do with them...

Janne

7. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

agree

8. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Thanks for the support guys!
    I have absolutely no deadlines or even target dates for this project. Between working full time driving almost an hour one way to my Dad's house to work on the case, paying off student loans, and trying to live the rest of my life it gets hard sometimes to always be able to squeeze in a weekend of modding here and there. So just sit back, relax, and sip your favorite beverage because this might take a while :thumb: :hehe:

Ask and you shall recieve...
    It is actually a Playstation 2 stand I am making for my girlfriend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two sides will be bent up vertical with the heat gun and go up along the sides (top and bottom) of the PS2 and hold it upright.
    This is the florescent blue acrylic these flames are being cut out of:
    [​IMG]
    Just have some sanding to finish up and then the actual act of bending the flames up and that little project will be finished and I can go back to working on this case. :dremel:

9. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

OH SO MANY GOODIES!!!! :D
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to get that front panel finished so I can start installing all this great UV reactive stuff!

Notice that there is some blue mixed in there. The frames of the fans, the blue backlighted temperature sensor, UV blue connectors, the blue LED's behind the knobs on the fan controller, and the Bulgin anti-vandal switch which has a blue illuminated ring. This is because it is just so darn hard to find these accessories all in green. Since I'm a cheapscate and didn't want to buy and solder in green LED's everywhere and pay extra for the green backlit bulgin switch and try to rig up a way to make the temperature sensor appear green, I've decided to mix up the color scheme with a little UV blue here and there. Not part of the original plan, but I still think it will look good.

10. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

great parts man but where did you get that Bulgin ?.
    keep up the good work.

11. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I got everything from Performance-PC's. I've ordered stuff from them several times and have been extremely pleased with their products and service every time :thumb:

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Building an all acrylic case soon too, looking at your for ideas on how to construct and I must say it's looking great! On Performance PCs, did the bulgin come pre wired to connect to the mobo?

13. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Performance pcs sells bulgins that are not wired, as well as bulgins with wiring to connect to the mobo. Great shop/service I might add, bought several times to them, delivery to Belgium is not overly expensive, packages always arrive after 1 week (which is fast).

14. Mod_God

Mod_God What's a Dremel?

Buy that woman a ps3 :D

15. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Ok, back from the dead with another update for yaz!!!! :thumb:
    This time around I prettymuch finished the motherboard tray and back panel mounting. I had to redo the motherboard tray and remount it to the frame, but the final result works great and fits nearly perfect, so I'm happy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rectangle around the rear I/O ports seems to be a little crooked (which I didn't notice before). So I'll be correcting that as well as eventually painting all the aluminum glossy black when everything is cut and finished.

Then I also got some more work accomplished on the front panel as well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The little round button thing started out as a little square cut out of the fluorescent green acrylic then filed round (yes, it took FOREVER).

Still much work do be done, but I'm still making progress! :dremel:

Oh yeah, and I did finish the blue flame PS2 stand...
    [​IMG]
    ...CLICK HERE for the full project log...
    :naughty:

Last edited: 25 Dec 2006
  16. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

if you need to make cylinders out of square acrylic, file the square section to an octagon shape, and then stick it in the chuck of a drill, spin and hold sandpaper/file to it to make it perfectly round :)

your project is looking good so far, keep up the good work
    love the ps2 holder too :)

17. Mod_God

Mod_God What's a Dremel?

looking very nice, lots of plexi work....me like :naughty:

18. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

With the front of the case, where you have the larger green plexi with the smaller black plexi, have you thought of doing rounded corners?

19. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yes, I have actually. I just haven't done it yet because I'm not sure how it will look because the rounded corners will come really close to the main panels of the case and if will look wierd or not. I can always round them off later if I decide to, but I can't un-round them if I do it and it doesn't look good! haha

Anyway, here's a holiday update for everyone. Got the top rear exhaust fan mounting all cut out. I'll let the pictures do the talking...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Until next time! :dremel:

20. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

very very cool man. where'd you get that i/o plate? i haven't been able to find one that would fit in my case i'm making. (probably cuz its fitting a ATX motherboard, instead of a mATX one) anywho, i'll hafto send you some pics of my case. i finally got my acrylic in from the site you told me about. keep it up!!