1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM Model Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kroganwrex, 30 Sep 2008.

1. Kroganwrex

Kroganwrex What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody, thank you for reading my thread, lets get started!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so i had 2 X 2gb elixir M2Y2G64TU8HD5B-AC ram sticks. One of them is bust and I cannot find a replacement on the internet , would a M2Y2G64TU8HD6B-AC model version of one work? Notice it is 6b-ac rather than 5b-ac like on the original.
    Any input appreciated!

Also my motherboard is an asus p5n32-sli if it makes a diff.

Im basically asking whether it is possible to use slightly different models of ram simultaneously.
    Or whether it is possible to use a completely different brand of ram in conjunction with my working elixir model.

2. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

You can use different brands together, though different timings will be modified to the lowest supported timing. They will also function in dual channel mode, however it is best to use the same model or brand per channel, with the best performance coming from matched pairs.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

matched pairs will always do better, and with how cheep DDR2 is now, I would just invest in some new ram.

4. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

I second that. Why worry about finding a match when you get get a new 2 Gig kit for $40 US.

5. Kroganwrex

Hmm,Ok, the 2 models i stated have pretty much exactly the same spec, will It really be that dumb to go for itand get the slightly diff model.

6. Kroganwrex

Anyone?

7. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Are you spending extra money to get the same chip? If you are, then you should go with a new kit, if not, then have at it, you might lose overclocking ability and a slight percentage of speed/latency, but if you're looking to save cash then you have to decide which place your priorities are.