1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Targeted ads showing up on mobile phone?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 29 Jul 2018.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Help me figure this out.

My partners phone is displaying ads for items which she hasn't been looking at yet another person we know have(we've seen the boxes and they've told us), now the only possible way i can think of is if my partner logged into that phone using her Facebook then she claims to of logged out.

The items are very recent and from the ads displayed we can see what this persons been shopping for

Wheres the connection here? i'd understand if it was ads for items in the past but these are very recent?

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Don't know what shennanigans they're up to. Sounds like there's been some sort of link created if she's logged in on another phone?

Mind you the number of times me and the GF have talked about something and then videos of that something appearing in the home page of youtube is beyond coincidence now.

That's even when it's not supposed to have access to the microphone.

What other AI comms they have going who knows.

Jake123456 and The_Crapman like this.
  3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Are you friends with them on Facebook as well as IRL? They purchase something from their machine/phone, they are friends with you, you are categories as having similar interest to them, you are shown ads for things they have bought. No "scary AI" or magical microphones needed, ad targetting is almost entirely this sort of basic association.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We talked about this here:

This:

...is more likely.

5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

So my relative doesn't have a facebook account so that's not it, and today we've seen more stuff she's been looking at :/ on my partners phone, perhaps its something to do with her browser cookies?

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Pretty sure it'll be because of logging into account on other phone.

If I log into my bosses ebay account to buy something for work, then log out and back into my own ebay account, I will end up seeing his browsing history on ebay for a few days.

Does it on my mums facebook too, even though she's not logged into facebook on the home PC (has in the past but always signs out), after my Dads been browsing ebay, it'll start showing ads for related stuff on my mums phone in the facebook app.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm not on Facebook or any social website.

The Youtube app has thrown up many coincidences.