1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB 2.0 missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 25 Sep 2005.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Anyone know why my DFI NF4 reports itself as having no high speed USB ports, when it patently has? I'm assuming the NForce chipset drivers that come with it should have installed USB 2.0 drivers.

2. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

dont you need sp1/sp2 for usb2?

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

SP1 I believe :)

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The drivers that ship with some of the DFI nF4 boards are very flaky... try replacing them with the XP generic ones.

Go to the Device Manager, then right click USB Hub (or USB Root Hub), and click Properties. Go to the driver tab, then click Uninstall. Do that for each of the instances of that driver.

Reboot, and XP should redetect your ports as shiny new USB 2.0 ones :)

Also, unless you're running RAID, remove the nVidia IDE drivers and firewall as well as nTune. All those things seem to cause a lot of problems with DFI nF4s.

5. Pookeyhead

I'm using Win XP Pro with SP2. It's a new, legal copy, so I never did the upgrade to SP1, then SP2 thing, but I'm assuming it would have everything I need. It seems to new, that when I log into Windows update, it finds nothing.

I'll try replacing them with generic Win XP ones, and see what that does.

Thing is... USB 2 appears in device manager, it's just when I plug in a USB 2 device, it warns me that it would be better in a USB 2 port, and tells me I have none in this machine.... :wallbash:

6. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Thats really odd, I had that problem with a USB2.0 hdd caddy once, it turned out to be the caddy at fault as every other usb2 peripheral worked fine, are you using an external (powered or none powered) hub?

Does every USB peripheral pop up the same error?

7. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

My guess would be going to the mobo or chipset (AMD or intel?) website and getting the latest drivers. I have a ASUS P4C800 E and it doesn't detect the USB drives even with all the latest updates on XP, unless you go and install Intel's 875P driver. Try finding the same for your mobo.

8. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

As said, grab the latest NForce drivers off nVidia. USB2.0 is always touchy with XP, in my eXPerience (LOLOL >_<). Also make sure it's enabled in BIOS :)

9. Pookeyhead

Im using no external hub... just noticed this when I plugged my camera into my PC.... tried every USB socket and was told the same thing. Also tried my external drive, and that's the same.

10. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

Uninstall the driver of any USB 2.0 hub that is already there (via Device Manager) . Then go to C:\Windows\drivers to delete the USB 2 driver folder that u once installed from the DFI driver CD.

Reboot, Windows will automatically install new driver for your USB hub, now its USb 2.0 for you, given you set [USB 1.1 + 2.0] in the Bios :)