1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Vega fail :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Jul 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Keep it and use Adaptive Vsync ;)

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I just saw the specs meant for Volta. Holy ****. AMD are in trouble here.

3. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Does it actually work? From my own experience and reading online the omen 32 hates Nvidia at 75hz, it drops frames and feels awful.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If rumors are to be believed the V64 is going to perform similar to a 1080 and cost around £200 more. :mad:

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I thought the general consensus was V56 was interesting and V64 was a bit meh. But you know, wait for benchmarks, confirmed price etc - it's not like it's far off (finally).

Wait for benchmarks/prices for V56/V64, decide if you want to buy one, if not get a 1070/1080/1080Ti/whatever and run it at 60Hz. You won't notice the extra 15Hz since you're always multitasking when you play games anyway :p:

Last edited: 11 Aug 2017
  6. Vault-Tec

Works great for me at 70hz.

They're still having grandiose dreams of it being as good as a 1080Ti.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If it is as it seems maybe they should just sell them directly to miners and bask in the Ryzen/TR good PR for a bit while they work on something more competitive?

8. Vault-Tec

If mining stays popular AMD might just get away with Vega but for all the wrong reasons.

9. wolfticket

I wonder how mining actually affects AMD. I know publicly and probably privately they are hardly positive about it. It presumably isn't deemed a sustainable market and is damaging to their presence in the gaming market.

That said though, judging by prices and availability, they are presumably selling cards as fast as they can make them at the price they want to sell them for, albeit not to the people they really want to sell them to. That must do something for their bottom line.

10. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Their bottom line is massively affected by it short term, but in the long run, I suspect it is going to harm them.

Think of the tens of thousands of 470/480/570/580 cards that will surface on eBay.

I worked it out on a very rough basis, and there's a mining farm in Iceland with an absolute minimum of 25000 cards crunching away. It's most likely closer to 50k in reality.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

At least cooling up there just means opening a window! :p

12. rollo

rollo Modder

They lose more gaming market share is its biggest effect, and if there cards are £100 + above RRP makes it tough to sell compared to much cheaper nvidia cards.

No idea why Nvidia is bad for mining never did work that one out but they are not affected by it at all.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Tbf the price difference between AMD and nVidia cards isn't that significant because once miners exhaust supplies of the AMD cards they move onto the next best thing, which is the nVidia equivalent, pushing those prices up too. That's what happened with the 480/580 and then the 1060/1070.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There are hundreds of coins out there where nvidia cards are better at mining them than amd cards, the demand for amd cards is mostly due to the value of Ethereum (and by coincidence nvidia unlike amd is garbage at mining Eth) that has gone through the roof as the various ICOs that make use of it are the ultimate money printing license for short term investors.

15. Vault-Tec

Because mining obviously uses AMD's GCN or whatever it's called properly, and as they planned. GCN has been AMD's Fermi since they introduced it, I guess it has its uses.

Ed. Same reason Fermi was so much better at folding than the 5870 etc? Because it was a kitchen sink.

16. wolfticket

More a case that power just means drilling a hole.

I figure that as much as it might not be good for AMD in the medium or long term it still beats not selling any cards at all. Maybe they would be better off setting up their own mining operation and cutting out the middle man :happy:

From a personal POV I'm quite looking forward the coin market tanking a bit to see what that does for prices and relative performance. It's almost sad to see all these GPUs being sent off to waste their lives doing pointless maths.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2017
    Guest-56605 likes this.
  17. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

That did make me chuckle some fair play :thumb:

18. rollo

rollo Modder

reviews have leaked. Space heaters for sale. Old Nvidia 480 all over again. The power usage numbers are insane. Only the water cooled version is ahead of the 1080 and only in BF1 is AMD ahead in general. $250 extra for the water cooled card.

Or you can buy the 1080ti for less and have 35% more fps.

Thanks for not a lot AMD.

Pricing on Volta anyone.

19. Vault-Tec

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team