1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V "Virtual" GPU, or, streaming directly to my WDTV Live

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cleggmeister, 9 Dec 2011.

1. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Hi folks,

I'd like to stream my video output directly to my WDTV Live over ethernet. I already do this with films and the like, with the PC acting as a server, however I'd like to send all output destined for the GPU to the WDTV. Possible?

Any advice appreciated!

Cleggy.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Possible? No.

With films and video files, you aren't streaming the video from your computer to the WDTV. The WDTV is playing the files that are being shared by the computer, there is no streaming going on.

3. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I'd have to agree it is not possible but disagree that there "is no streaming going on". You could get a long HDMI cord from TV to computer. Or another computer near the tv that could connect to the main pc over the network. Lag will be an issue over a network if you want to use it for gaming though.

4. Cleggmeister

Thanks folks, I suspected as much. What about web-based content - Silverlight and Flash for example? To my mind the WDTV should be capable of decoding them so long as it can lock onto a stream from the PC. For example I use Sky Go on my computer, which plays via Silverlight. It'd be cool to watch this on the telly downstairs without needing a 20m HDMI cable :)

Does VLC allow the creation and broadcasting of a "stream" on the fly?

5. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

is this what your looking for? It just streams straight to the tv the dongle is plugged into. No need to use your wdtv though.

http://www.kfa2.com/whdi.shtml

6. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

You would need to do a little tinkering on the wdtv live side of things, but VLC will certainly let you stream your captured screen over the network.

EDIT:
    quick google shows this thread with people having success doing exactly what you want.
    http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=512

Cleggmeister likes this.
  7. Cleggmeister

+REP! Many thanks Ned

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder