1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning what's the best way to streamline Mobo 4pin?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nikeunltd, 7 Aug 2009.

1. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

Alright,
    Im planning on getting the nice CoolerMaster Storm Scout case with the EVGA E758-A1 Mobo using the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

It is a good combo and all, but the problem i am having is something like this...

[​IMG]

so, what can i do to make sure that doesnt happen??

I was thinking of running the 4-pin behind the tray, then come in through the square hole in the back, run the cable on top of the mobo, then run the cable down.

[​IMG]

would it work?? if it doesnt, is there another way?? also, how can i find out the length of that power cable?

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

That would work. If theres that much stress on the cable your going to need an extension. These are made by akasa I believe. Dont cost too much but do the job perfectly.

Andy

mvagusta likes this.
  3. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

corsair dont seem to list the cable lengths on their site,
    but it does say:
    http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx
    as the cm storm scout it a mid-tower i would guess there will be plenty of length, and if not you can always get an extension as andrew8200m said..

as for running the cable behind the mobo tray it would depend on the gap behind the motherboard and maybe which cpu cooler you are using also..
    but even if you cant fit it, you can always run the cable from the psu to the left side of the case near the floor, then to the rear, up the side passed the pci slots, then under/over the fan, and from their to the power connector. just get some cable ties and bases. it doesnt look that nice when the case is opened up, but when the side is on i dont think you would be able to see it and the airflow shouln't be affected..
    sadly there is no space above the motherboard to dremel a little hole out for it :(

either way it looks like a nice case :)

4. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

do this:

[​IMG]

8-pin is soldered to the contacts at the back of the board :thumb: I will be making a guide this week :D

mvagusta likes this.
  5. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

That is sweet! Will it work for the 24 pin ATX as well?

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Instead of running it in front of the video card run it between the video card and the mobo.

[​IMG]

and under the CPU heatsink if you have to

7. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Just to make sure - does your PSU come with a 8pin ATX connector? If it does, that is what you should be using.

8. SNiiPE_DoGG

yes it would work for 24-pin too, you just have to be very careful about isolating each wire and solder point ;)

9. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

snipe dogg, awesome idea ! im lucky because my cable is just long enough to run behind the tray and u can barely see it at the tot, but ur solution is soo much more... nicer ;)

10. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

That pesky 4-pin is always the inevitable cock up when it comes to putting my rig together. It's so easily forgotten about, and once you got your case looking perfect and then realise you missed it, you feel guilty about running that one cable across your motherboard. Life is made a little easier if your PSU is at the top, but routing behind the motherboard tray is your best option.

11. KillerLettuce

KillerLettuce custom title

yes, just cut a hole in the motherboard tray and run an extension if the cable isnt long enough.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

That's a really nice idea but probably not for begginers :p

13. SNiiPE_DoGG

well honestly, I would say soldering the 8-pin to the back of the board is probably the easiest solder job I have ever done (I usually do volt modding) but as with anything in modding, practice makes perfect and everybody's got an old motherboard lying around.

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If you have a soldering iron I'd go for lengthening the wires first.

15. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I bought one those Akasa extensions for my 8 pin and just cut a hole on the mobo tray, still need to re-sleeve it though as Akasa fail badly at that.

16. nikeunltd

THANKS!

Thank you all!!

Fortunately, as a computer engineering student and newb modder, soldering stuff is basics for me. i will run the wires by the open hole Horizon suggested first. if that fails, i will run the power cable through the back tray, if its not long enough, i will get a akasa cable (if i can make my own, that would be awesome).

IF i feel adventurous, i will solder =]:rock:

thank you all!! i will keep you posted.

17. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

"The Langer" already did that on his PrometheusCU Project
    Linky

18. nikeunltd

change in event. i got an old first verison Antec p180 (with out the two ports on top) lying around and i am going to be using that instead of the coolerMaster. again, would it fit? i hope it will...

19. nikeunltd

im still trying to find akasa PSU 8 pin extender for a low price in the USA. anyone know of any?

20. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?