1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Which Windows 7 package should i get?

Discussion in 'Software' started by HunterDoom, 10 Jul 2010.

1. HunterDoom

HunterDoom What's a Dremel?

I am sooner or later going to get Windows 7 Professional, but I cannot quite figure out which package to get.

I am a system builder and repairman (not fully in the job, just a hobby I like to do) and I am wondering which package of Windows 7 will allow me to keep installing Windows on any computer without any limit to how many I can install. If there is nothing of that kind of package, which one would give me the most allowed number of computers to install Windows 7?

2. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

The retail box can be installed on any number of machines but only one at a time, whereas the OEM version is tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. There is an Enterprise version that allows multiple installs but you have to be a MS partner to get one (I think).

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Correct.

Windows 7 is per computer license. If you plan to install it on over hundred of computer or more; than you should communicate with Microsoft Sales department for possible plan and negotiation on licensing price, term and conditions.

If it's just for you, than I recommend the full version as you can transfer between systems (motherboard), the license, and if ever the activation prompt you to contact Microsoft to activate, it's easy to do. Just call, explain you changed your system and they'll give you an override code which you type in the the same activation box that will pop-up, if you have an activation problem).

OEM menas that if you replace your motherboard, than you are screwed.

If you have an XP or Vista license, than I would get the Upgrade version. Upgrade will give you the same features as the full retail license. Windows 7 Upgrade, allows you to perform a clean install, and doesn't require XP or Vista to be previously installed. Once you upgrade once (start the setup in Windows, but perform a "Custom install" (clean install), and your set. The setup will keep in mind that you started in an activated Windows, and inform the server that you have an older Windows version).

If you want to boot on the upgrade disk for the first time, and perform a clean install right away (let's say you have a new HDD), Microsoft allows you to do this. See Method #2 here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp. This method is new to Windows 7 Upgrade.

Basically Windows 7 Upgrade edition is to say thank you for staying with Microsoft.

4. HunterDoom

HunterDoom What's a Dremel?

Alright cool, thanks for the advice!