1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 5.25" bay drawer *NEW* How to make it

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrWillyWonka, 28 Jul 2004.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Does anyone know whether I can buy a drawer which can go into the 5.25" bay so I have a bit of storage for suff like CD's and pens?

If not could u give tips on how to make one?? :confused:

Last edited: 24 Aug 2004
  2. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

thats such a cool idea, in fact! im gona make one, ill probaly use an old broken cd drive and take out the insides and use a Lian Li blanking blate for the front so it looks normal but have a handle on it :hip:

3. invader crack

invader crack What's a Dremel?

useing a old cd rom is an awsome idea for this
    first thing i thought of was to make it out of a thin wood (metel work just isnt possible in this appartment!)
    but that would really save sum time/monies if i find ne thing for the actualy brawer movey part consider one made :thumb:

4. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

wow, its REALLY easy to make.. i found an old dvd rom i snapped the tray off ripped out its guts and now have a 5.1/4" draw :rock:

5. MrWillyWonka

Glad someone thinks this is cool! I could make it out of wood (my dad's a carpenter so that'll help!!) but 1. I don't think it will look right inside (as I have a side window) 2. It'll be too heavy I think 3.umm... just no.

I'll probably use an old CD-Drive if I can find one (Should've kept my old bust one). I've had an idea - get a sheet of metal, cut out each corner so you get a + shape with the middle the same as the 5.2" bay base, fold the sides to make a tray, get some of these things u get on the side of normal drawers and fit it onto the draw, put the case in and there u are (oh yea, attach the bezel and a handle)

That'l work wont it, shouldn't b hard!!!

But I do have a slight problem, I got a door on my comp, and a handle will prevent it from closing... have to think about that one... :idea:

6. invader crack

you could make the handle outa fine chain but i think that look stoopied(first thing i thougt of hehe)

or u could drill a small hole enough to get a finger into then get sumthing to put on the inside er this is to hard to explain i'll try and make a pic

7. omicron

omicron Baud.

Get some folding handles, or drill two holes in the CD-Rom tray big enough for the handle to go through -- assuming it's a round U-shaped type -- then superglue a few coins or something to the two ends of the handle (in the tray) so that when you pull the handle it slides out, but doesnt fly out of the tray, and you can also push it (almost) flush.

8. invader crack

alright this is the best i could do with paint haha i duno if this help nemore

[​IMG]

9. MrWillyWonka

I know what you mean, but I dont't think I can do that cos I wouldn't know how do, and the bezel mite break and it mite look a bit stupid with a hole in the bezel - sry abt that, however...

This sounds like a good idea actually, but if the handle legs have to go through the bezel, it will hit any stuff in the tray, but if its a small one, and I do a bit of modify the tray, yea its possible. Wot I mite do (cos I got a day off from work tomorrow - woo!) is create a mini guide for this small but useful mod and put it on this forum.

10. omicron

omicron Baud.

Depending on the holes you drill, it could just be two bits of wood or something that are wider than the hole you've drilled. That shouldn't interfere much :). As for a guide, go for it - certainly a new one on me, but it's such a simple and useful mod (hell, Im sick of all my LEDs rolling about my desk) that I'm sure it'll be popular. Patent it quick, and you could make a mint when companies decide to manufacture their own :thumb:

11. invader crack

ya i wasnt sure how pratical my idea would be but i had to get it outa my head one way or anouther :hip: i think im gonna go ahead and make one of these myself right now, as i have an hour to kill befor i go to get the g/f from work :thumb: wish me luck hehe

12. omicron

omicron Baud.

Good luck! :thumb:

You could always make a motorized pop-out drawer, then you'd have no need for handles, just stealth it, and when you press the button the drawer pops out! You could even add LEDs round the edge and wire them to a microswitch, so when the drawer opens they all turn on so you can see what you're doing when it's all dark and you're ogling over your cold cathodes :hehe:

A year from now: "Cupboard? Pah! I have an AT case!" :hehe:

13. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

if you have one of those cases that has the rails for the drives you could bend the locking bit flush and just have the whole CDrom slide out, you'd need to add a handle and cut a hole in the top of the CDrom, but whats a little dremmeling between friends?

14. invader crack

and then it was ghetto'd

alright looks like im the first to post this mod completed

i had my broken cd rom in the drawer next to me so i couldnt resist doin this one :D

but i only had an hour till the g/f is to be picked up. and not realy havin ne materials around right now i decided to ghetto it up!!!!!! :rock: :rock:

basicly i have made a cardboard template of what i plane to do except fix the handle that im using here well enough talk on with the pics!

i forgot to take a picture of construction of hte box but i think its self explainitory

[​IMG]
    the box!

[​IMG]
    box go there :thumb:

[​IMG]
    i know 1337 haha
    [​IMG]
    the best part as been firmly add'd

[​IMG]
    stealthy o0o0o00o

all in all one ghetto ass mod i must say so my self :hip: :hip: :rock:

15. invader crack

damn must be too 1337 for ne one to respond haha :rock:

16. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

LOL, what a use for those spare bays :D . Nice use of cardboard there ;) .

17. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

You could go to the hardware store and pickup some drawer-sliding units. They sell in pairs, and you could fabricate a drawer out of plexi or metal and use those sliding-units on the sides inside the case. Not too difficult: 2/5 rating if you ask me.

18. invader crack

it really is a useful mod i put a pen in mine!

and yes cardboard works great :thumb: hehe i was only realy mockin it up to see how big everything would be... but knowing myself that will probly sit there for a week haha :naughty:

19. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Ahhh, cunning mod plan, I've got the day off today, I recon I can knock up a properly hidden drawer out of an old CD drive.
    I'm going to try ripping the guts out of it. Glue up the front and maybe even hinge the top so I can hide 'stuff' in there. Don't need a handle, it'll look out of place and unstealthy. I can pull it out with the side metal bits that you get on the cheiftec drive rails...

20. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

I am sure I have seen this done somewhere, but i think they used the drawer mechanism of the cd rom to open and close it. not sure really.