1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Bulldozer to ship ‘within the next week or so’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 26 Aug 2011.

1. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

rts gaming performance is what this chip will provide. Supreme commander will love this chip but the single thread nature of crysis software will also benifit, AMD please remember bang for buck!

2. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Only thing that is worrying me is the lack of benchmarks this close to release. Im up for a new Pc and ive been putting of buying an I7 cause of this.

I hope there not pants.

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'm waiting for the first review to decide wether I go for sandy or bulldozer. Curtains will soon fall :lol:

4. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with PQuiff about the lack of benchmarks. I have to say that if you had world class hardware to release surely you would get benchmark samples out there early to get all the free publicity the high scores would give you. Even if you had limited initial quantities to sell the benefit would be massive.

But no benchmarks.

Whenever I see a game that doesn't get reviewed before release I think the publishers must be trying to recoup as much money as they can from early sales before the public realise how much of a stinker the game is.

For all our sakes I hope the same isn't true of Bulldozer. The market needs strong competition among the best cpus to keep Intel honest and keep innovation a priority. But I fear we are going to see Bulldozer unable to compete with Sandybridge, never mind Intel's upcoming roadmap.

5. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

This is my fear as well, released in the next two weeks and not a real snif at info on the chip. Makes me think it's just a catch up CPU. If it is AMD are going to have to make the platform price very good indeed. No point in jumping now though, mays as well wait and see if there is a smell about it. :worried:

6. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I think in a lot of ways AMDs marketing is going to backfire. Even if the quad module "octocore" parts are faster than 2600k, which I suspect might not be the case (we'll see soon though), it looks pretty bad if it takes 8 "cores" to match 4 intel cores with hyperthreading. Let alone when higher clocked and/or more core parts for SB-E come out which sound like they will, with almost no doubt, stomp all over Bulldozer.

7. amppatel

amppatel What's a Dremel?

Not going to be as good as SB - intel rocks!

8. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

There is no reason to believe AMD would allow bit-tech to mention that they have samples.

Only Intel does previews of new hardware. Nvidia do not, AMD graphics does not (except for the 4870x2, 5970 and 6990) and AMD processors does not.

Like I said anything except Intel CPUs are very rarely previewed. You compared game releases to hardware releases so the rarity of graphics card previews is a valid comparison. They obviously want the launch to go with one big bang. Dribbling any substantial info out beforehand is gonna torpedo that strategy. Launch day reviews and enthusiast buzz is plenty of publicity. The internet is clamouring for information now and has been since the Bulldozer technical explanation late last year. They've been steering a good course for hype-without-spending-a-dime up to now. I mean each new bit of official info from AMD directly stirs up quite the frenzy all for free.

I do agree with this, it isn't 8 cores and they should not call it as such. ....but then again it's not 4 cores either, or 4 with HT, so what do you call it? Appealing to the plebs and calling it 8 cores for the sake of being somewhat understood is the lesser of 2 evils instead of throwing a wall of text at everyone to explain things.

9. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

TBH I'm not bothered how a CPU is etched out or what the hell it's called, I just want the faster chip at a given price point or (as I'm buying a full system) the platform overall cost with that faster chip.

10. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

"‘within the next week or so’. ZDNet says the claim was made at the Hot Chips conference a couple of weeks ago"

If this conference was a few weeks ago, and they said at it it would be launched in a week or so. Shouldn't it be out by now?

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I tend to agree with this, sounds like a lot of splitting hairs going on over names etc. If AMD can do better than intel regardless of how many modules or cores or what you want to call them, then they can safely say that at that given moment they have the best cpus on the market.

Teelzebub likes this.
  12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah really if it's priced good and beats the 2600k.. we'll see

13. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Due to an unfortunate poping sound coming from my motherboard earlier today, I'm suddenly very keen to know when we can expect a bulldozer based APU?

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Q4 2010 or more likely Q1 2011 IIRC.

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

It'll take me that long to save up anyway ;)
    I wonder if the APU graphics can our perform my existing 7800GTX.

16. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Bulldozer isn't an APU... If you want APU Llano is your answer. The article specifically stated that 'dozer is CPU only.

Regarding the core/module debate, ultimately it's how Windows, OS X or Linux sees the chip. If it sees 4 cores/threads then it's fair enough to say the modules are indeed cores with parallel processing ability. If they see 8, then I'd call it octocore.

Many a gamer is waiting for this release, so if it performs well in low threaded applications as well as highly threaded, then it might out do SandyBridge. Remember, single core performance is just as important here. No point having 20 cores when your program uses no more than 2-3

17. Action_Parsnip

LOL - He asked when a 'Bulldozer based APU' would be out, which means the successor to Llano and which will be Bulldozer based.

18. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Ivy or Bulldozer..Ivy or Bulldozer :confused: :sigh:

19. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

I am pretty disappointed that the '8-core' chip is actually just 4 modules, but I guess we will see how it stacks up. I had been thinking of a platform upgrade for bulldozer or ivy bridge, but I have been monitoring my i7-920 in games and it doesn't seem to be even close to being a bottleneck yet.

I had to go ahead and buy one of the cheap crucial refurb drives to deal with the upgrade bug for another couple of months ...

I do hope that AMD comes back into form on the enthusiast end of the market. I would quite like an AMD system again at some point.

20. Action_Parsnip

Enable background monitoring and log to file in GPU-Z and go through some games. Look at the GPU usage statistics. Arma 2 and GTA 4 die on their arses on my rig, even with a measley 4890 and a 1080p screen. Depends what you play though, really.

Tags: Add Tags