1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPhone 5 rumoured for September launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Jun 2011.

1. Balance Keeper

Balance Keeper What's a Dremel?

Its not a buble so why should it burst? Awesome marketing and even better products. But u can continue using ur Chinese or Taiwanese **** crap trash (and yeah i know iphone is being put together on foxcon factories but that doesn't matter cuz engineering and developing is whats matter).

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Oh the arguments are fantastic.

Won't bother upgrading my iPhone 4 until my contract finishes in June 2012 and the iPhone 6 is out. Speed bump schmeed bump.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dream on. Steve thinks ten years ahead. He already has succession lined up, and Apple has a path planned out for the next decade. If anything, there will be a little more room for out-of-the-box thinking. Think Google creativity combined with Apple attention to detail.

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

IP3G case enlarged with IP4 res @ 4.3" and Android OS :rock: want.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Care to repeat that in English?

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Um, since they decided they want to hire purchase a £600 phone for £35 a month, including line rental, unlimited texts and lots of minutes. That stuff costs money, you know, and the phone companies are trying to run a business. If you wanted an iPhone 4 on a 1 year contract, they'd have to charge you £60+ just to break even, and then they wouldn't be able to give you the bundled stuff people expect with a £60+ tariff. It's not rocket science.

If you object to a 2 year contract, just do what I plan to do when my contract expires in November - buy a SIM free phone and switch to a SIM only contract for about £10-15 a month. Avoid being locked in to one network; avoid arbitrary upgrade cycles and just upgrade whenever you want / can afford to. Simple! That's the beauty of the free market economy :)

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Suffered 18 months of the HTC hero. Was ready to throw in the Android towel.

Galaxy S 2 = happy android user. Only negative thing about android is the fragmentation of the market. With so many devices, app developers have a hell of a time developing for every phone and configuration. With iPhone, you just dev so the app runs on a 3GS and you're sorted. This means fewer quality games on android specifically.

8. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Nokia WinPho7 Mango device for me! :) Never owned an Apple device and feel better for not being screwed nor shafted in some way by the "shiney shiney o no you can't because we say so" commies.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I only lasted 12 months with my Hero, its just not powerful enough.

Devices like the Hero are the great strength and weakness with Android, it can compete with Apple and WiMO at the top end with decent powered devices and with lower end phones through low price/power handsets. The problem comes with folk who get a budget handset and expect it to out perform a £600 phone this makes the platform look bad, people round here may realise this and get a better phone but some will just decide that android 'sux' and get an iPhone.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Delighted ;

That there in a nut shell is my ideal Apple device if they start thinking "outside the box" it would consist of;

>Iphone 3 case scaled up a tad
    >Iphone 4 retina display scaled up to 4.3"
    >Android operating system, either plain or sense driven

Not specifiying internals as they change so frequently, but dual core and at least 16G internal memory possibly expandable via sd card.

It'll never happen, tiss but a pipe dream, tiss also probably the only circumstance I can see myself going back to Apple.

11. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

How are any of their products bad?

12. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

I'm perfectly happy with my Nokia N900, Maemo does everything I want it too - Bet you can't develop and run C++ and Python on an iPhone

13. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

It isn't so much they're bad , they just aren't any better.

This sort of sums it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPYromrN7OI

sry, if it's been seen already

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

haha, nice video. actually sums it up quite well.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

> iphone 3G case sucks big time. In terms of sturdiness and feel, original iPhone was the best.
    > iphone's size is perfect. I won't want to change a single bit. Do remember back button is usually located on the top left, so it has to be small to allow single hand user to be able to reach that button
    > honestly don't see anything good about android, sure it's customisable, but that's about it. No, I don't want apps to link into each other, I just want apps that are self contained.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Never used the original, but i did like the 3g case, the curves fitted my hand beautifully, and the quility of the build was right up there.

Size is subjective, I've got big hands, and it's my phone so I can stick the back button where I like :hehe:

Android, I dunno hard to quantify, but I went N95 to Iphone and I was like oh wow this thing rawks :clap: then I went onto Android and it was like yes this is better for me :rock: nothing definitive, nothing really quantifiable it just works for me.

One point I have noted, those who I know with bog standard Iphones seem to like Android if they switch and were very easy to lure over to the dark side, those I know who have jail-broken their Iphones seem to prefer the Iphone OS and aren't interested in leaving it :confused:

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

guess I'm in the last group. I have jailbroken it and won't be able to live without some of those plugin. But there are only 5 plugins, accumulated over 4 years of iPhone usage. (since original) so although I want to tweak, I still don't want to be forced into tweaking my phone to have a pleasant experience. Just pick up and use, apply tweak if there are annoying issues, otherwise as stock as possible.

Never even tweaked my windows setting other than wallpaper, just want something to pick up and use.

Each to their own.

18. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

My 3GS contract is up in September, and I will definitely consider the iphone 5.

Very happy with my current phone, but the only thing that will be making me look at android phones is the screen size of some of the models. I spend an unhealthy amount of time browsing the internet on my iphone - a bigger screen would make the experience much nicer.

19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

*deleted* :worried:

20. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

You actually think this has anything to do with just "trying to run a business", like the poor poor telecoms companies are struggling to get by? Seriously. Think again. It's nothing more than trying to lock people down for longer to just make more profit after the cost of the phone has been covered.

And if you actually think that because the full retail price (say, £500-£600) for a top-of-the-line is what the big-boys like Orange/Voda/T-Mob etc are paying then you're very much mistaken. I would (and happily do) pay £5 more on a monthly basis for a phone to reduce the length of my contract because it's a significant saving over paying additional full-price line rental for an extra 6 or 12 months on a longer contract. Plus, the resale price of the phone is higher if the phone is a more recent model/newer.

Will you still be using the same argument in a few years time when 36 months or 48 month contracts become the norm?

Tags: Add Tags