1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Computer Fair in Cardiff on Saturday (25/11/2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 23 Nov 2017.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just in case anyone else nearby is interested. Event page here, looks like admission is £3.50: http://www.premiercomputerfairs.co.uk/upcoming-computer-fairs/cardiff-computer-fair-2017

TBH I didn't realise that computer fairs were still a thing these days, the last time I can remember going to one was over 20 years ago with my dad... There are a few things on my list of "stuff to buy once the damn bike insurance stuff is sorted out", so I thought it might be worth having a nose about.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

You mean Saturday 25 Nov, aye? Because today's the 23rd and it ain't Saturday :D

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bum. Yes, yes I do mean that. Thank you!

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'd like to visit but I'm worried about the border guards when I come to leave wales...:)

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AWWW if it was only next month I'd actually be back in Cardiff. I also went to one about 20 years ago: must have been ~2000, I remember being in 6th form.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah we apparently don't like it when people leave, so we charge you to get out. There's no other good reason for still having the damn bridge tolls!

Bad timing!

Yeah last time I went to one of these things it was in the Newport Centre, I was probably in college (6th form...whatever...) too.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My daughters judging at a Guinea Pig show in Rhiwderin tomorrow, I usually end up sitting in the car all day watching videos on my phone but I'm not taking her this time otherwise that would have given me something to do and its not that much further on to Cardiff.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2017
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ah, shame. Yeah Rhiwderin/Bassaleg isn't really that far away, from there it's not too far to get down to Leckwith on the A48...

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Dam it I was in Cardiff last weekend! That place sure has changed a lot in the 16 years since I went uni there. Pulled up to travelodge in the bay which is next to the red dragon centre. I'd been telling my misses about messy Wednesday nights in evo down the bay, but when we got there I didn't think it was the same place. It seems so tiny now compared to the gargantuan leisure complexes being built now and there's a lot more that's been built up around it. Even the Tesco extra next to the Talybont halls I stayed in seems normal sized, and when first built it was twice the size of the largest supermarket I'd been in before.

10. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

Whilst I'd like to head over as it's only 40 mins for me normally, just remember Wales are playing New Zealand on Saturday so there will be a couple of road closures in the centre of Cardiff.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Good point. Getting there through town won't be a problem at ~9-10am I think, but getting back through town after about 11am... nah, forget it. On the other hand, it's easy enough to get from Cardiff City Stadium to J33 of the M4, so that should keep you away from the worst of it while going home. I live not far from J30, so that should do fine.

See Map:

[​IMG]

Of course there's a crash on that stretch of the A4232 on a Friday afternoon... Imagine that... Glad I'm off today!

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Its run by the same people who do the one in Bristol every month and they did one here in WSM last month. Don't expect any good deals on graphics cards, RAM or motherboards. You can usually save money by ordering it online. However if you want a good deal on some used laptops then its well worth going.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Funnily enough, a laptop is one of the things on my list :thumb:

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I went to the one held about 2 months back, picked up a core i3 small form factor pc (silverstone case) for my nephew for christmas for £350.
    I was glad I went as they had a build using the TT Tower 900 case, which is the case I'd been thinking of getting for my PC. I didn't realise quite how big it was until I saw it.

Byron C likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not really that much to write home about; their laptops were a bit overpriced, compared to what's available online, and most of the rest of the stuff I saw could be bought online for about the same price.

Did pick up an 8-port PCIe SAS adapter for a tenner though. No hardware RAID, but I don't need that.