1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom Water Cooling Blocks

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DJ101010, 19 Jan 2012.

1. DJ101010

DJ101010 What's a Dremel?

I did a quick look through the pages, so I may have missed this somewhere, but is there any kind of guide for explaining how to make your own custom water cooling blocks? Maybe even something that at least gives some helpful tips? I haven't made a build with water cooling yet, but my first scratch build desk is going to be water cooled. I have been doing a little research, and I have noticed that most blocks have the liquid coming into the block and leaving the block perpindicular to the contact plate. This seems to me to be an inefficient way to move the liquid, as it requires more power to push the water against the block and then out at an perpendicular angle to the plate instead of running the liquid parallel across the surface of the plate.

Any tips? Or guides? Maybe i'm wrong about the perpindicular/parallel issue, maybe some of the awesome modders here can help me out? :confused:

Last edited: 19 Jan 2012
  2. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

3. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Just thinking that it maybe needs the resistance to allow it enough to pick up heat?

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Won't be resistance just the fact that it would be impossible to join the CPU block from the side.

5. Yukionno

Yukionno What's a Dremel?

6. DJ101010

The cpu block makes sense now as far as perpindicular mounts go, but does the same apply for other parts' blocks? Like GPU or SSD or HD blocks? Especially if one is building a custom case that will have plenty of room, would the parallel mounts be more effective? Or is it just a universal rule that perpindicular mounts are the best way to do it?

7. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm terribly sorry, I'd love to help but I can't seem to get my mind around what you mean. :)

Are you talking about the fittings or? :)

9. DJ101010

Sorry Angel, I have never worked with water cooling before so I don't really know the terminology well enough to explain myself. This picture here should clear things up a little

[​IMG]

Behold my MS Paint skills! :rock: ha ha...

What I have noticed is that most water cooling blocks are set up like the left drawing, which moves the liquid in from the top and back out of the top typically. What I am wondering is if setting it up like the one on the right, where the liquid comes in the side and moves sideways through the block, would be more efficient? Also, if anyone knows of any guides that help teach or give tips on custom block making, let me know please!

10. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

IMHO.
    If efficiency means that the fluid will flow faster then the right design may be a little bit faster.
    If efficiency means more heat will be absorbed then the left design is a safer bet.

I currently lack the factual data to prove this, and my fluid mechanics(not fluid dynamics) class was 5 years ago so this may be bulls**t.

11. Ruairi

Ruairi What's a Dremel?

There are fullcover GPU blocks with the latter method, I'd say Its usually the former so the fittings dont hit components around the cou socket area. These are only educated guesses though.

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Watercooling isn't just about flow rate. Method one will invariably create more turbulence inside the block, which in turn improves heat dissipation/efficiency. Most CPU blocks are designed this way because of the high heat concentration you have to deal with (and I'd imaging it's easier to plumb in as has already been mentioned. A very inefficient block simply won't be able to transfer heat to the coolant quickly enough, no matter the flow rate or pressure.

13. asura

asura jack of all trades

Increasing the fluid velocity is a game of diminishing returns, if the pumps used in watercooling were very weak, then yes a direct path would allow for slightly faster blocks. But a big part of what slows down water in modern waterblocks is impingement and (to a lesser extent) friction.

A quick glance at any waterblock review, which tests the block with different water velocities and you'll see the sort of gains one can achieve with playing this game.

Maximising flow, and turbulence (and therefore heat exchange) as close to the CPU's core(s) is the name of the game, which is why so many blocks have their inlet over their centre rather than at an edge as in your first diagram. Furthermore by the time the water in your second diagram gets above the core it's behaviour has become much more laminar - less turbulent - providing a less efficient thermal exchange.

14. DJ101010

Wow, lots of smart answers! Makes my head hurt! Thanks for all the help guys. It kind of makes sense now. I haven't even started building my desk mod yet, so no worries. I will just have to decide which route to take when I get there. I think i'll use a standard CPU block, but I might decide to make some of my own blocks the other way for the hd blocks. You guys are awesome!!! :clap::clap::clap: