1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EU slaps Intel with record £948m fine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 May 2009.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

It just depends on how big a fish you are. Intel, the big fish slapped around AMD, the minnow.
    Then along comes an even bigger fish and slaps around Intel. Unfortunatly for Intel there
    have been, and are, lots of really big fish just waiting to slap Intel around some more. :hehe: It's not just the EU. Japan and South Korea have also had a shot and the US courts will soon be bending Intel over as well. :blush:

I wouldn't feel too sorry for em. They will still make good CPU's and they will still make lot's
    and lot's of money. :D

Last edited: 18 May 2009
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Is that simply because "American Money" is flowing into EU pockets?

They broke local laws, they pay the penalty. At least the EU has balls big enough to call them out on it, and cant be bought by lobbists. The EU is a politically middle system, compared to America's "everyone can do what the **** they like". ;)

Do you actually understand what Intel did?

It's not "unfortunate". I've seen first hand Intel's some of tactics for years, but couldn't say anything because a) it wouldn't change anything and b) it was all completely off the record and those people that did show it to me would have lost their jobs and their businesses suffered.

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Exactly how many people in the industry were aware of this? Or is it easier to count those that were NOT aware? :worried:

Anyway, completely agreed with the "cant be bought by lobbyists" comment.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It was pretty much known to everybody capable of reading between the lines of statements made by either Intel/AMD or the PC retailers like Dell/HP/...

Oh, and dag...

Thank you for attacking me when all I said was, that AMD is quite a good position and on par with Intel yet I still hope for more innovations.

I like you. You're cute. Can I keep him, Bindi?
    He's like an overprotective brother or dog. :D

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

hmm okay I like that description :)

6. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

8. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

I do not understand why we still have these silly quibbles on forums these days...? SO what? He made a few spelling mistakes - he may have been rushed to type and short of time or he may have other (better) things to do then just sit on a forum all day (not saying this is a bad thing necessarily :p ) and make sure every word he types is spelled right.

Oh...one more thing....can someone actually point out the spelling mistake that FatMikel made? I read his posts and didn't see a single one, except a few missing words in his typing which obviously shows he was in a rush.....?

That sadly may be true for some time to come unfortunately.....lets hope their new fab divison is able to rack up some profits that'll help them build a few extra fabs.

This as you may have read further on is obviously not the case.

Same here. Didn't expect this to happen at all.

Perhaps - but the free market also has the other side of the coin. Your free to do whatever you can to thrive, but push too much and you have to pay the price for the consequences......all the mentioned above have done so, and more are likely being investigated.

That's perfect business sense - shame they couldn't go about it in a legal manner.

Good point. I wonder how many OEMs were involved in all this.....the question would also need to be asked - did they even know that the other companies were being offered these things? If so, then why didn't they have the balls to stand up?

I don't think these jokes are at all appropriate.

No we don't (or at least I don't anyway). BUT, the fine they were charged is no where near enough to barely even dent them. They will appeal - why not = no company wishes to lose £1bill without at least a fight. This will hopefully get them to pull their dirty socks off and try and keep the new ones clean. It probably won't stop them completely and others from doing the same - but they need to know that they are being watched and that they need to play fair - playing fair is the only thing that will benefit us, as consumers. AMD will hopefully get a chance to develop and push forward future developments and put the petition back into competition.

That is a fact that I've observed over the last decade or so. I've always been frustrated as to why the Athlons didn't do much much better than they did - Athlon 64 was one of the best platforms of the time. Despite it doing well, it didn't do well enough imo.

And Danwood76 unless you try and put up an un-biased balanced and a logical well-thought out argument that actually supports what you're saying and refutes the evidences against it, you will lose your arguments exactly as you have so far in this thread.

Anyway - nice to be back in the UK! :)

Tags: Add Tags