1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Far Cry now available for free

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Sep 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. evox

evox What's a Dremel?

Nice idea. they should release more games like this. free but ad supported. If nothing else, it would definitely cut down on piracy. Ugh, but damn the free FP wait time ;)

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

How do the adds work then? In game banners, or the game pauses and a monkey informs you that MacDonald's are doing a 2 for 1 deal on chicken nuggets?

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I think it's on loading screens and in the menu

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, I do remember Far Cry on your old PC Joe, it looked... retro. ;)

You're right about the difficulty. I remember eventually getting bored of forever dying and getting a trainer that gavr you infinite health, but still recorded the number of times you would have died, had you been playing it normally.

Death count at the end of the final level? At least 900 if I recall correctly. Yeah, it was too hard. One of the examples of why the most recent trend of infinite health, but still a risk involved techniques (ala CoD 2, or Bioshock) work so very, very well IMO.

6. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

It's one of the first FPSs I ever played, and I really was wowed by the graphics, and...
    you can even shoot the fish in the water ;)
    Just like the redneck I am

7. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

and they're probably also doing this to stir up interest in support of the "movie", if they still are having Uwe make it.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Of course they'll get Uwe in: the German tax breaks and 'artistic grants' he gets means even if the film totally flops, he'll make a profit even if only a few thousand people go to see it. It's a win / win situation for everyone.

Well, apart from the movie going public.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

The original c&c is now available for free also! But the bad thing is, that it is not TCP/IP but still IPX, That mean a lot of users wont get to play this wonderfull piece of history. espacialy vista and xp64 users..

10. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Finally. All I need now is a PC!

11. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know of a mirror for the file? Fileplanet sucks, can't use dTa on Firefox with the link, and my last download just stopped abruptly. Dumb.

Ah never mind, just found it on Gamershell, usually get good download speeds from there too.

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Well thats handy, as i dont have an account, or live in the US.
    Oh, and i don't like fileplanet either.

Sam

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Still more fun than Doom 3 though...

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I bought it, and played 10mins then took it back to game. Great in those days when Game would allow you take back opened PC games no questions asked for PC.

game didnt run well on my PC back then so couldnt play it properly.

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

You can also Get GTA 1 and 2 for free from rockstar. They dont have ads because I downloaded them a year ago. Dont know if this link still works because its blocked here at work

www.rockstargames.com/classics/

16. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

anyone have a link for people out of the states

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is for people in the states only?

18. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

Yep, but apparently if you set your location on your Ubi account to US, it works. Gonna give it a go just now - my download just finished.

Use this link, blazingly quick download speeds (was getting 700-800KB/sec on mine):
    http://www.gamershell.com/download_20867.shtml

19. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I love Far Cry. I remember playing it on my old PC with my Radeon 9200 SE and almost wanting to gouge out my eyeballs. But because the game was soooo good I kept playing. Finally after getting my 9600XT was I able to turn on some of the eye candy and really start enjoying how good the graphics were.

Now my new PC can run it at some ridiculous frame rate with all the eye candy on now and the game is still a blast to play.

The last level in the Volcano was awesome. I died probably close to 100 times but damn it I never had to cheat. I almost did. I was really close. But I didn't. I killed (no name used to protect spoiler in case a few haven't beat it) with a grenade and watched him fly out the little room he's in.

I am excited for Crysis. It's the reason I built my new PC. I know it won't run it maxed out, but it should run with good settings at a reasonable frame rate with no problems :) Far Cry 2 looks awesome as well. Just got my new PC Gamer a few days ago and the preview looks awesome :w00t:

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I don't get the "hard" criticism.

The only encounter I find even vaguely taxing is the exit from the regulator into a courtyard full of V22-resupplied mercenaries - and even that's not too bad if you know to knock off the four guys near the door and take the V22s out with rockets before they can drop off their passengers.

Phil

Tags: Add Tags