1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows GFWL problem again!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by maximus09, 19 Nov 2011.

1. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Hey guys,

I got a massive problem recently with Bioshock 2 which I bought recently in the steam sale.

It started with GFWL (as usual), which updated fine, however was crashing when trying to login. So Windows prompted me to close the program and I clicked onto Bioshock 2 icon in the start bar to maximise it again and it seemed that GFWL was still running and signed in. Good news, however this happens everytime I start BS2. But my problem now runs a lot deeper!!

Now an even bigger problem. The other day when exiting BS2 Windows asked me do I want to revert to Basic Mode instead of Aero. I thought that is weird so I said no.

When I stated up my computer today it just would not boot. After a few restarts I got in to Windows but everytime i tried clicking on anything I get an error saying windows explorer has stopped working and should restart. Click restart and still it continues crashing any time you try and do anything. Even if you try and shut down.

I had problems with GFWL with Bulletstorm as well and it seemed this resulted from a conflict with Kaspersky anti-virus. After installing the game and GFWL and later updating Kaspersky problems stated occuring. THIS time I think Kaspersky might have been updating while I was playing the game and a conflict happened, this is another possiblity, but really I don't know.

NNNOOOWWW. Windows 7 64bit (professional) will boot but I can't do anything as explorer crashes. I cannot get into safe mode as it crashes. CHKDSK also crashes when trying to scan the disk. I have tried to repair windows through the CD but the only option available is to "Repair Startup" as I haven't created a Restore Point. Also when trying to repair from the CD it states that a file is corrupted and should run CHKDSK (But this crashes when I try). FINALLY after trying all this Windows will now not even recognise my SSD!! SSOOO not only has GFWL messed up my game and Windows but also my £200 SSD!!!!

Please if anyone can help or has experienced anything similar with GFWL then please reply so I might get this solved without having to fork out on a new SSD and reinstalling everything and trying to recover everything again:wallbash:

Thanks in advance!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

GWFL isn't the cause of breaking your hardware.
    Software (except overclocking tools, but that is if it's hardware enabled to support it) can't break hardware.

You have as different problem, which JUST happened to happen with GFWL.

What I suggest for GFWL games, is to ensure to download the latest version from Microsoft web site FIRST, and not let the game do the update, especially if you never had it before.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

What I suggest for GFWL, is not to use it at all. There are some very good xlive.dll that bypass it entirely so you don't even need it installed what so ever to play. It will force local profile for saves, but you loose any of the tracking like achievements etc.
    It was coincidental and likely there is a larger problem. I would secure erase the ssd and do a fresh install at this point, and make sure there is no problem with the ssd. Also you might consider using MSE for your av needs going forward. It is much less intrusive and resource friendly and at least as effective.

4. GoodBytes

In some games, the local saved game is encrypted. Re-installing Windows, would break the ability to recover saved game. A game that comes to mind: GTA-IV

5. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Well it appears that after a sleep, windows is booting again, but still the problem with Windows Explorer crashing everytime I click on the start menu or anything else.

Unfortunately I can't do a Secure Erase as my other machine (this one) will not allow it for some reason, something to do with the Sata controller?!?!

Also everytime I start up my main machine something new seems to stop working, for example now desktop icons are invisible!! I have managed to remove Kaspersky with the removal tool, but problems still persist.

I would like to reinstall Windows but I can't backup any of my emails from Thunderbird without using the backup utility, which doesn't work :(

I am now trying to remove GFWL with a removal tool. If I can just get Windows stable enough to do a backup then I can reinstall!

Does anyone know how to do a Secure Erase? Aparently the Sata Controller on this machine is locked and wont allow it!! I have managed to update the fireware before but not do a Secure Erase. I have a OCZ Vertex 2 Sandforce.

Thanks for the replies guys!

6. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Thanks mate I will try this once I manage to get my comp working again. What is MSE by the way? I definately want to change my Anti-virus now, I have had enough problems with Kaspersky conflicting with GFWL!!

I have written to them by the way, last time and they said they would fix it in the next version, but still I wont give them my money anymore if everytime I have to reisntall my system if I play a GFWL game!

7. GoodBytes

MSE is Microsoft Security Essential. Or if your prefer, Microsoft Forefront free edition. It is Microsoft anti-virus solution which is free for home users, and up to 10 licenses for small businesses. It's also villeinage 64-bit version for increase in scanning performance.

It's a very good one, reviews are excellent on it. Being said to be the best free A/V out there. Super well optimized as well: Doesn't slow down Windows boot, and doesn't slow down our system. It feels like you have no A/V installed. It's absolutely non intrusive. You feel like you don't have anything. It's really cool.

You can get it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/products/security-essentials

8. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

They way I do it is to disconnect all HDD/SSDs, then boot into this livecd
    Once that has booted, I'd reconnect up the SSD I want to erase and use the secure erase function from the "erase disk" tool.

9. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

thanks mate!!!:rock:

10. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

GFWL sucks donkey balls. I would consider looking for that xlive.dll file which allows you to play games without loading or having installed GFWL

11. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Just an update guys, i managed to reinstall Windows and everything was working fine until a couple of days ago when I was playing Fallout New Vegas. It just froze, I restarted and Windows loaded the desktop but it kept freezing after about 30 secs. So once again I lost all my data. Obviously the SSD is buggered!!

I contacted OCZ for an RMA they suggested Secure Erase which I did again and this time when installing Windows it froze, tried multiple times and cannot install Windows now. So i'm just waiting for them to send me the details to send the drive back! I wish it wasn't so close to Xmas because now I probably wont see a replacement until the new year :(