1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GTA IV PC to use SecuROM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'll get the funerals ready for all the DVD drives that will die

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Lame.
    I always thought more of Rockstar than this tbh...

Why do they insist on this crap DRM that doesn't work??

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i dont think it'll be that bad.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Not sure if ive missed something but are you saying sercum kills dvd drives? Its been along time since used my pc for gaming.

6. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I'll be buying this, put it in the closet with all the other games I have that use securom and instead play the pirated version. Much less trouble this way.

7. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

AFAIK Only Starforce is killing DVD drives. Securom7(latest version) has been around for ... since Unreal 2? How long is that? And no-one complained - until new Securom *DRM* arrived. Securom7 vs. Securom DRM is like heaven & hell.

8. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

That pic always creeps me out. The woman has six fingers on her right hand :p

9. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I agree with Gunsmith. In fact is there any solid direct evidence of optical drives actually dying because of SecuROM?

Never the less, I will sadly not be buying GTA:IV. Or Mirror's Edge. :waah: Not entirely because of SecuROM (GTA's version is almost benign like any ol'disk check method...apart from the hissy fits it'll throw with mounting software), but because of any possible third party advertizing software bundled with it, like Massive in Far Cry 2. Dynamic adverts in-game aren't necessarily a bad thing (didn't see any in FC2), but I'm more worried about invasive harvesting of personnal details/habits. You have to opt in if you want to play, but what exactly will you be giving up in return?

The only small joy this game will give me is watching all the rabid, brainless anti-SecuROM sheep bleating "SecuROM, NOT WANT!!!" out of their frothing mouths as they spam Amazon to death with one star reviews.

10. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Windows is so full of DRM crap and Microsoft harvesting to begin with that one scheme on top of another will hardly make a difference.

Funny how all the privacy/rights advocates are sitting on their Windows installations thinking that somehow not installing a SecuROM game makes things better for them.. Get Linux, or stop crying.

11. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

[​IMG]

12. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Shame... No way am I putting that SecuROM crap on my PC.

I'll settle for GTA4 via Steam

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Would think twice about that....

14. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Hell no. Until they give ultra-silent DVD-ROMs with games i will just download the cracked version. Works faster, with no hassle and strange noises coming from dvd-drive.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I don't mean from SecuROM on it's own, I mean from people throwing their DVD drives out the window in frustration!

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

let me see if i got this straight....

NO, copy protection does NOT allow you to protect the integrity or our titles and future investments, it will be cracked and pirated before it gets to the shops, ALL the cash that you poured into securom will be as useful as buying chocolate knife when you are trying to cut a hot peace of titanium covered with a layer of diamonds! You have paid more money to securom than the money you will get in return due to a FICTIONAL reduction in piracy.

People will pirate the damn thing and will be able to play it with less problems than legit users... am i missing anything here?

I thought better of you, rockstar, but you are another of those companies that don't see a palm beyond your nose.... thanks for all your previous games but this one i will skip, at least until i see a genuine copy without crap.

ps: at least they don't limit the amount of installations...

edit: does anyone know the amount of money they give securom per game?

17. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

18. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Ah b*llocks... :p Why dyu need securom on a Steam install? I thought one of the points of Steam was to help prevent multi-installs/dupes without a valid key? Anyone knows you can copy the src files downloaded -- you just cant [read: legally] use them without a Steam account.

Sigh.. oh well. Newsgroups it is....

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

holy crap! This game was going to be the first game in ages i would have bought without first playing it, seeing how much i enjoyed GTA:SA and the MTA version of it.

Now i have to choose:
    1) Get a steam account, use my CreditCard for games shopping (not intended for that), download, install, install Securom, validate, register with Rockstar Social Club, register with Games For Windows Live, play
    2) download, install, copy crack, play, forget about the multiplayer

f*ck you Rockstar, i dont wanna do either! :(
    I just want to play the damn game. I dont want to be mucking about on sites that collect endless piles of my personal data that is then sold to the highest bidder at the next bankrupcy of either one of the 65 companies involved, that i dont trust in the first place.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHH

20. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

So even if i by it htrew steam i still get securom? im a little lost ether way, R* did a uber fail.

Tags: Add Tags