1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I am currently doing this......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 26 Feb 2023.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well buggerborrox. I fitted the cooler, then got the rona.

[​IMG]

I wasn't overly happy with how the RAM impeded the fan though to be honest.

[​IMG]

I then attempted to fit the GPU. Note - attempted. It hit the facking cooler. I want to mount it vertically as I have fitted cards in there and it looks kinda poo.

After ripping hair out for a few hours and considering cutting it up (which would have been a terrible idea because the GPU is really heavy) I conceded and got a new one. £24. Thermalright are absolutely KILLING it right now on prices and quality.

[​IMG]

The grey was a nice touch too. I watched a ton of reviews and it seems if you use a 25mm fan as opposed to the one on there you drop another 5c. Given a guy had a 12600k at 85c (stock of course) on it I figured it would have no trouble with the 11400f. I then got all paranoid about it hitting the immense VRM cooling but it was fine.

[​IMG]

I really like that. I also like how top down coolers let you see all of your expensive RGB fan too. I will have no problems now. It's a country mile away from the GPU.

I won't continue on just yet with it. Oh yeah I did the SSDs too there. I managed to find one of these on OCUK MM for £35 delivered.

[​IMG]

It's the 850w gold model. The Gigabyte has these really annoying filtering caps on all of the cables and it makes a ticking sound. I think that is the fan, but by the time I buggered around changing it etc I just couldn't be arsed. A decent fan would run me £20, and knowing my luck it would have been something else in there and I would have still had to bother with those awful caps. I need a spare any way, given I used my test unit for Modular.

[​IMG]

Yaka likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

/Sega Rally. "Fiiiiiiiinish"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wyx087 and xaser04 like this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Morning all. Well that was strange....

Less than a week into using it I had a frightfully good piece of fortune. Things have been a total roller coaster lately, with lots of laughs but lots of tears. It's been a crap few months is what I am trying to say. Any way, yesterday when I woke up I looked in my bank account and couldn't believe my eyes. I was £1250 richer. I won't go into it, but it was 100% kosher. I just had absolutely no idea at all because of what has been going on. Now I know I said the rig was finished, but I sorta lied. As some around here will know I am a total sucker for some Lian Li pron. I have the very limited 012, and I have its mini me version the Q58. I adore both.

I have always had a bit of a thing for the Odyssey X. I know that Gamer Jesus shunned it, and I know that Jayzabellend shunned it also. Without building a rig into it. The cooling is so so, but at the end of the day I don't care. It's faggin GORGEOUS. I have lusted over that since seeing it ages ago. Problem is they cost £400. I contemplated saving for it for a while, but I never needed a case or wanted a case when I thought about it. Besides, with energy bills for me doubling and food going up 30% and taxis going from £13 to £17 in one year? yeah, I won't lie things have been a lot tighter than before.

Yesterday though that changed. Thing is, at the end of it all I am still a very tight bugger. And I did not want to hand over £400 for a not completely perfect in its design case. So I had a look around and about the best I could do was £375. I pondered for a while, then decided to stick the name into Ebay. And what would you know? there was one on there for £250. New, opened box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The great thing is it is the colour I wanted (this one)

[​IMG]

But better than that? it had a make offer button on :D So I went for the nuts :D £220. I then sat nervously for about an hour........ Offer accepted LOL.

I am donating the Asus case to my mate Gary, who does a LAN night so always needs boxes (cases like) for his guests. Which includes me twice a year ! One issue is the OX does not have a vertical mount for the GPU. And I want it vertical dammit. I managed to find this on OCUK B grade for £40. It is for the Lancool 2, but the OX does not have bars in the PCIE slots so it will totally work.

[​IMG]

"We're gonna need a bigger boat". Well, more fans to be exact. I paid up the RRP on these (£45) because I got the other two sets for half of that. Which is only fair enough.

[​IMG]

The last thing bothering me was the PSUs I have. One has cables that look like total ass (with capacitors on the ends) and the other has just random black cables. I don't want to use extensions on it, as both panels are glass. So I started looking into PSUs with nice sleeved cables and by god they are expensive. I had, in the end, settled on the Thor or Loki at around £220. I know the Loki is ITX, but that wouldn't matter as I could use the plate for SFX. However, that was all out the window when I found this on OCUK ex demo for £150. The tight alarm rang, and I was sold lol.

[​IMG]

SuperHans123 and IanW like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Case came yesterday. Box is huge, so of course I fell over it coming up the stairs. Thankfully it broke my fall :D

[​IMG]

There is a lot of it. Put it together in the way I want it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very pleased. As usual the quality from Lian Li is amazing. Last night I begrudgingly stripped out the PC I spent three days building :D

[​IMG]

Front fans are in. I need the other kit I bought, so the top only has the one now. I need to make circles for the new ones too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

b1g-d0g likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Ta daaaaaaa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

b1g-d0g, Arboreal and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Wicked. I don't think you'll be having any issues with airflow...

Mate, you seem to be building a box every other week! Is it the same kit being rehoused or are you running an internet cafe? (Remember those? Bonkers. Log into Hotmail to let everyone know you're still alive. Forward some spam. $5/hr). Was thinking as well - nice setup, by the way - has that rad got breathing-out space through the other panel? Liking the cable tidying (especially those straight PCIe GPU connectors - they should be mandatory like the 24-pin) and not a hard drive on display, unusually. Seems the PSU shows current draw as well, which is new to me. I do like some of the ideas Asus come up with, I just despise their customer service and abhor their reliability (but that's personal).

Are you going to put your castors on the feet or leave it like a eunuch of Astapor? Does it have a bottom mesh to stop dust suck? Oooh, I'm full of Friday enthusiasm!
    :rock:

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

I broke one down the other week. I had two at mums for away and I had two here. It’s a bit daft but due to my autism and agoraphobia I like to have complete ready to go spares. I do all of my shopping online (like totally all of it) and tablets and apps etc just don’t work for me. Not only that but I stopped using Waitrose three years ago when Rona started due to their easily abused by selfish ******s slot system and went to Iceland. And I’ve been amazed. Man they have stepped up their quality. I also really like and respect its owner and they’ve never let me down.

problem is they don’t have apps and their sites run poorly on phones etc. then of course there’s all of the gaming and calling each other c words and speaking in engrish. I’d die without my pc so having two is best.

this one I just done was my spare build and was done originally to a price. Unfortunately the threadeipper I had in there was too slow so I bought a new board etc and a case. Then a windfall to make it really nice came up so I did. I’m really great and finding cut price hardware on OCUK and then I get free shipping on every thing. And I’ve abused it at times but that’s why I love them so much because they put up with me hehehe.

the stuff I donated will be split between the boys and so Gary can keep his lan room working

I also gave away one of my xb1x to my cousins kid (he’s my nephew pretty much) because he has the same problems I had at his age so he’s my fave :)

8. Vault-Tec

I got a cheap Jonsbo Jellyfish 360 for it. I have no idea why in honesty, as the smol one was fine. That said, it is much quieter now.

[​IMG]

£50 or so. It was a ball ache. Had to literally strip the entire rig. I did, however, change the air flow. Three in the top now draw air in, rest all push out.

By this time DI2 had launched, and I was totally engrossed in it. 28 hours, the last 8 with a pal to complete it. We are only 40% done though, so we are returning soon. I had some issues with it though. My 2080Ti did not have the knackers to run it at 4k, and so I enabled AMD FSR2. Which made it run all zippy, but the problem was it wasn't without flaws. The inventory (critical as weapons wear fast and break) made it crawl, as did the map and workbench, but later on it actually started to crash. So, I dropped it to 1440p. Which didn't look anywhere near as nice on that big old sod of a TV, but allowed me to finish it.

So I got a new GPU. Goodbye old friend, until we meet again.....

[​IMG]

Hello 3rd AMD GPU purchase in a year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am now convinced there was literally no GPU better for this PC. It literally slots in like a chamelon.

Some time later.

[​IMG]

I need to mod the pump head. Like, cut the power to those farty LEDs and put a real RGB ring in. That can wait for when it is cooler, though. Did a load of testing, and, TLOU at 4k.

[​IMG]

Suffice to say I am very pleased. DI2 runs properly at 4k now, too.

9. Vault-Tec

So I decided to turn my £55 cooler into a £410 Asus one lmao.

[​IMG]

Cost me £24. I already grabbed the software. Looks very easy to use, too.

[​IMG]

Will create my own. Also has the tools in there to do so. Apparently they have AIDA baked into them somehow, so they are a lot easier to use. Of course the housing will be going in the bin. CNC has been dormant for quite a while now, so I feel something custom to clip onto the pump head coming on.

10. keef247

keef247 Modder

I hope you RMA'ed the Rona?

You should really fit some more fans in your case mate :naughty: bit worried about the cooling lioke :hehe:

Jokes aside can you please make that start menu bar an acceptable size, it offends me as does windows 11 - what made you not stick to 10 until it's no longer supported?

As I'm thinking of staying on 10 when I do the reformat for the 6800xt? As 11 is pure aids.

11. Vault-Tec

A long time ago I upgraded my 3950x desktop rig with a 12700k. At the time windows 10 didn’t work on it very well so I went 11.

I really like it *shrugs*.

As for the task bar? DGAF. It’s a TV rig and I’ve got the scaling high so I can see it to launch games.

keef247 likes this.
  12. keef247

keef247 Modder

Yeah I was trying to not mention the scaling offending me too but that is the downside to a tv isn't it. make 4k look like 1080p then all the menu's look aids on apps, but then you're only launching games so who cares :naughty:
    I cannot stand it myself, but I'm unix whore anyway. That's why my pc's are literally just turned on for gaming and I use macs or linux for everything else.

13. Vault-Tec

Yeah I don't use it for anything other than gaming. TBH if I did not have several launchers on there (and I CBA spending hours linking them into Steam) I would use Big Picture.

keef247 likes this.
  14. keef247

keef247 Modder

Yeah I agree, but that would be a very slick interface for a tv :naughty: