1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Laptop socket repair problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by nukeman8, 21 Oct 2011.

1. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Im probably going to sound very stupid but im trying to do a power socket repair on a presario f700 laptop.
    I stripped it down, located the socket and then tried to solder it off. No matter what i do i cant get the existing solder off, i have tried 3 different soldering irons and i just feel like im missing something, help? :confused:

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i too get this problem, i use a temperature controlled de-soldering iron, set @ 450 and still cant get some off, in which case, i end up using snips to destroy the outer metal casing, which then makes it easier to remove.

WARNING using such a high temperature can cause damage, be warned.

3. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

have a look at this

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/solder.htm

there is a bit near the bottom which says:

I seen this being done on a youtube video before, seems to work quite well, but not tried it myself, I have had the same issue in the past it is a pain. Just make sure you don't touch the board with the iron while you are de-soldering or you can bugger the board.

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

You are using a solder sucker right? I was desoldering some led screens off some VW Golf clocks (replacement mph clocks for a Jap import that had kph clocks, nothing dodgy) the other day and it was irritating and intricate work because the pcb holes are very small. I think I could have benefited with a slightly more powerful iron (mine was 18W I think), I had to melt the solder, move the pin to the furthest edge of the hole with the iron and place the sucker as much over the whole as possible to get good results, it took ages.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the problem solder joints aren't melting in my case, normally because all the heat sinks off somewhere like the big metal cover on some sockets, or the big piece of copper they are soldered too