1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Logitech's income drops 70 percent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Buy some mx518 now everyone !

Sad day for Logitech. Hope they'll get better.
    I also saw recently they did computer CCTV cameras, specially for home, and some other strange stuff. I guess it's the "non PC-centric market".

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm doing my bit! Just bought a Wireless 620 mouse.

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Was thinking of getting a new mouse for my laptop, anyone got a Win/OSX friendly suggestion? :p

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, they got quite a bit out of me last quarter, as I picked up a G25 steering wheel.

And margins dropping by 7% isn't anywhere near as bad as the situation that some companies are finding themselves in.

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

When they bring out a reasonably priced OLED keyed board with a fully programmable screen I'll give them some cash but until then I shall stick with my SteelSeries.

7. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

I've had logitech mice for gaming for the last 10 years. I would be lost without them.

8. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I love logitech gear - have loads of it at home.

They'll be getting a wodge of my cash once they start actually shipping the G13 - I've had it on preorder since before Christmas!

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

logitech have gotten into the habit in recent years of buying up really cool, smallish, relatively unknown companies making great consumer technology (Intrigue[Harmony], Slim Devices[Squeezebox], SightSpeed[video calling software], WiLife[security cams], Ultimate Ears[earphones]), leaving the groups pretty much on their own to continue making their products, and just giving them increased exposure.

this has probably cost them a fair amount of money, although in the long run it should work out alright for them. IMO they're second to none with their peripherals*, especially mice, and i freakin' LOVE my squeezebox network. Got a Harmony One on the way to me now, so let's see if i don't love that too :D

*notable exception: nothing beats the MS natural ergonomic 4000 keyboard.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2009
  10. SteBradshaw

SteBradshaw What's a Dremel?

They could start making left-handed versions of their right-handed gaming mice, that would open up new revenue channels for them. I might even start buying their products again if they did.

11. rewind

rewind What's a Dremel?

I've been drooling over the G19 for a while now... that LCD screen in fantastic. Mind you it's £150 price is a bit steep so I may only be able to continue to drool rather than own one. My old G15 will do me fine for some time unless I win the lottery.

12. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

Or maybe some good ambidextrous mice rather than 'increased speed and comfort' right hand only mice. at least then righties and lefties could buy their products.

13. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

so wait... this is about profit, right?

This is a luxury items company, that is still making profit in times of crysis, while buying other companies on the side. This is a great result, and should be celebrated, not whined about!

They quote a 70% decline in profit, and in the same press release announce 600 people fired, even though the REAL decline in profit (without their acquisitions) is only about 25%. If you are going to fire people, fine, but dont do it under false pretenses! I hate hate HATE the corporate assholes that make this ort of **** up, they just deeply impacted 600 lives!

Dont get me wrong, i love logitech stuff, i have about 300 euros worths of mouses, etc of them, but this sort of stuff just ticks me off!

14. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

seems to me like they are a victim of there own success the market is saturated with good logitech mice i have no reason to upgrade my g5 and this is costing the company

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ill b grabbing the G15 keyboard pad as soon as its available!

16. customh

customh conflagration.

I just bought an mx3200, and love it.
    It's really too bad if yakyb is right, because companies realize that and start making stuff that breaks after 2 years so they have recurring income....

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

picked up a g5 last year.. one of the best mice I ever owned- still feels like new after a beating.. more than I can say for microsoft mice that bust within a year and feel broke in after a month (well not counting the early microsoft tanks they used to make back in the 90s- but the newer ones)

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

double edged sword. that works for a while, until people realise, "hey, this stuff breaks after 2 years while company X products don't. i'm switching!"

it's far, far better to manufacture reliable, well-engineered products, and charge a premium for them, factoring in the fact that they will be longer lasting. this builds consumer loyalty, and when the time eventually rolls around for a replacement or upgrade, customers are more willing to pay the extra 10 quid for a mouse/remote/keyboard/whatever that isn't gonna crap out after one year and one day.

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I have so much Logitech stuff I SWEAR they know me by name.

Gonna get mr a G19 and MX Revolution soon. Guild Wars 2 is almost out!

20. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Well I certainly hope they get through it OK and keep bringing us good quality stuff - I love the mice and the USB speakers are great for laptop and other portable user use. I'm using a logitech V series laptop mice right now!

My only beef with logitech is when they replace a perfectly good product with another that's no better and sometimes not quite as good. Once a product is perfected leave it alone - I know it's not business sense as you need to keep releasing new product etc etc but I really would like another V400, it's better than the V450 IMO.

Tags: Add Tags