1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI launches N460GTX Hawk "Talon Attack"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 4 Oct 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I imagine that current Hawk owners will be pretty annoyed by this 'update'.

At least the Hawk is now sensibly priced, the £220 or so launch price was a joke.

Mind you I am more than happy with the 925/1850/4300 I can get out of my Sparkle GTX460.

3. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I never understood the pricing on these type of products when there not the top end.
    It's pretty much always better to just get the next product up and OC that.

In terms of pricing ofc.

4. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

whats a GTX485

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You'll find out soon ;)

6. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

my palit sonic is running with these numbers...
    cost me 160£

7. memeroot

512 and 70htz faster?

8. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Oh God, will it replace your banhammer?

9. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Isnt the GTX485 the full fat 512 shader card, the one that uses more power than a small country?

[​IMG]

10. memeroot

cant wait :)

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I bet its the Fermi 1.5 rehash that nVidia was working on that reduced some of the MAJOR design flaws in FERMI making it an actual worth wild card to consider.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I'm feeling the huang dingaling lately.. playing mafia 2 with physx enabled full up with 32x aa app enchanced in the panel, clamp, high quality textures, and 8x supersampled on my gtx460 1gb

had to flash in a volt mod it though (1125v).. runs 940/2140 and it's smooth in game at 1080p.. the leobeater wins again- suck my 700 us dollar rig builders heheh

but that's what I never liked about physx- the gimmick is you have to buy 2 nvidia cards, which is just bs.. seeing what I'm seeing with the 460 oc'd to the balls, it does the job solo

I'd like to see stock 480 benches myself.. bet I'm beating those on a ref design- msi making even more headroom is fun to see- if it goes over 1000 on air especially

I'm kind of scared to push the voltage any more with the stock cooler.. haven't read much with people pushing voltages without water

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I wonder why MSI bothers to develop the Twin Frozr cards as well as the Cyclone cards.

I could see having a reference cooler and a premium cooler, but two different premium coolers?

I wonder which is better.

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Looks like the manufacturers are trying to squeeze some revenue out of the current chips before the end of October. :)

15. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I hope not. I was kinda hoping for something based more on the GTX460 architecture, but with the number of stream processors of the 480

16. flipman

flipman What's a Dremel?

This card looks nice but another Hawk card with faster memory. lets first see what the extra performance is before considering it over the last one and for the 485 GTX i just hope they pull something out of there hats and not to late after the new HD 6000 release in 2 weeks time.

17. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Understandable why they are focusing on the 460....its seen as a far better valued card than the 480.....yes its not as fast and dosnt come with an alternative house heating solution, But its by far the best $/performance card on the market.

PLus there are 10x the positive reviews of the 460 than the 480....giving it more market share.....

But on the other hand.....y pimp a mid level card that only enthusiests would buy??? When the market would probably already have 480 or a Radeon 5870 (cant remember model of the top of my head)

Maybe they are trying to bring back the house heating functionality that the base 460 lost. :p

18. Lehmann

Lehmann What's a Dremel?

i want the gf104 with all of its shaders.

19. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

And while this is all happening AMD is about to release its next series of cards. But you never know maybe they'll have some problems, but surly they cant be as bad as the space heater:)

20. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I sincerely hope that a fermi refresh is imminent with both GTX460 and 480 getting the full shader count and in the case of the 470/480 refresh a much more efficient tech than what is currently available.

As it stands, with DX11 still in it's infancy I still feel that my 'aging' GTX280 still give me enough performance to allow me to pass on this generation of GPU's - that is to say there is no compelling reason to change just yet.

As for the new 460's, I like this one, faster memory in new GPU's will always be beneficial as they all seem to love bandwidth and scale well with better ram timings - begs the question can the current standard 460's be BIOS flashed to reflect the new memory timings?

Generally, the chip itself runs cool enough to allow even models with the reference cooler the chance to grab a 900mhz overclock, it's fantastic value I'd love to see a detailed fully overclocked 'head to head' with other GPU's.

Tags: Add Tags