1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Nolio -Orange Flourescent Acrylic Case- Update!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bahgger, 5 May 2005.

1. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Hey bit-tech.net! :)

This is my first complete attempt at making my own computer case, and I'm only so priveledged to do this because the choice was in my hands as to what I wanted to do for my Design and Technology major project.

The computer will be used almost certainly for games, with the latest and greatest components enjoying a stay inside. The cooling won't be anything fancy, just plain quiet fans, perhaps UV reactive.

Nothing in the computer will be taken from an old one. Every component such as the motherboard tray and the back panel will be machined. The time frame for me to complete this from today is approximately one month. I've already had around a month to complete detailed intricacies.

Anyway here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

My very first initial idea for the case

[​IMG]

After countless hours on SketchUp with countless revisions

[​IMG]

Half scale model photos just to show you how it will kinda look like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full scale here :) Started by drawing out the dimensions on my base. The base will consist of a two level system with the bottom being a completely rectangular sheet of acrylic. Glued together with Tensol 12, it'll provide a strong base for everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to show the glowing character of the Orange Flourescent Acrylic

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 May 2005
  2. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Project Nolio - Orange UV Acrylic Case - 6/5/05 New pics

The top panel dimensioned and ready for cutting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front and back panel were to go onto the base with sides that were bent in 10mm. The first attempt at this resulted in a curved front due to excess heat in the middle I believe. The unfortunately wasted material is seen here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the bending jig I made very quickly on some MDF that had some weird sketches on it.

[​IMG]

Learning from my mistakes I did it again, but this time clamping the panel in two pieces of MDF for a while to let it cool straight. The panel came out less curved and was good enough to be dimensioned and machined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No finishing has been done yet on the front piece so fret not it shall look nicer! Last pic is of the Bulgin Illuminated Vandal Resistant Switch I got from KustomPCs :)

[​IMG]

Much more pictures to come as soon as I can churn them out! I've been keeping these from bit-tech for a while because of all the talent here I felt rather newbie-ish so I didn't want to embarass myself :p Now at least I can get comments from the real enthusiasts :)

Last edited: 7 May 2005
  3. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Very nice and original idea!!! And it looks like you are paying a lot of attention to details. I think this will be a great project =D

4. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

gonna look nice :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

5. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast What's a Dremel?

Wow thats really nice

6. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

sweet and subscribed!

7. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

wow!!!! you have really put some thought into this deal! holy crap. good work so far, i love that plexi work

8. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Sorry guys for the Red X's photobucket.com was down this whole evening I believe. Anyway a few more pictures for you to see. Today I filed down the optical drive bays in the front panel and it looks just like how I want :) I also tried fitting the switch and started on the back panel. Photos now :)

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Backpanel

[​IMG]

9. advance

advance What's a Dremel?

I can't wait to see how this one turns out... subscribed!

10. CaPs_On

CaPs_On What's a Dremel?

Damn, that looks promising, gonna look out for this one:)

11. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Aw you made your first post in my thread! :) Welcome to bit-tech.net Caps On! Thank you and everyone else for their inspiring comments :)

12. ginx

ginx What's a Dremel?

nice, i really like the color of that orange. the overall design looks pretty promising too

13. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Thanks ginx. I haven't really showed anything explaining how I'll get pieces to hold together and so on but hopefully that'll happen in the next week or so :) I really want to do as much as I can on this case but time is what restricts me rather than ways to solve problems.

14. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

Oeh, nice design, really nice .. like the front panel very much and the plexi colors are sweet too. Subscribed! Keep on the good work

15. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

i love your design with 2 5 1\4 slots at the top and at the bottom

16. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Thanks :) It's aimed to keep versatility in check. If I placed the case on the floor, I'd want the DVD Drive in the top, but while the case is on the table I'd possibly want the DVD Drive at the bottom! Really more of a fake reason though since my teacher suggested I implement more versatile design features. I'd probably always have it at the top :p

17. kickarse

*chants*

more pics, more pics

*carries bahgger off for sacrifice to the mod gods*

18. CaPs_On

CaPs_On What's a Dremel?

Hehe, i know, got so interested that i posted first here:)

Btw: Subscribed!

19. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Hey again guys!

Today I managed to start on the 'Tensol 12'ing of a clear acrylic rod to the front which helps with support. I also looked at how well my front and back panels fitted with the base and made adjustments to the dimensions. Finally I cut out the voids and every thing that needed to be cut in the base which is great. I'll have to file that down still though. Anyway here are the photographs I managed to take.

Taking a look at the front and back as well as their alignment with the base. The back fit perfectly...

[​IMG]

But the front wasn't as accurate :/

[​IMG]

Didn't worry too much about that so I went and started on the front panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those supports are needed because the side panels will go into their positions from the top :)

Anyway after that I started on the base and removed the plastic covering on the bottom because I like masking tape. While removing I thought I'd show the brilliance of the orange colour. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot to take a picture of the base with the other bits cut on the big bandsaw but just imagine that I cut it at about 0.25 cm/second cos I was being careful :D Anyway that's all for now I'll continue work on monday :) Enjoy!

Last edited: 6 May 2005
  20. kickarse

MONDAY! NOOOOOO! We need a weekend update!