1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Nolio -Orange Flourescent Acrylic Case- Update!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bahgger, 5 May 2005.

1. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

do you have a sketch of the final product?

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

looks gorgeous - one of my favourite plastics - such a nice glow.
    can't wait for it to get outta that tape.

3. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Hehe same here jazzle :D Actually, jazzle, thank you for starting the SketchUp movement for without that this would have been so much harder for me :)

@ kickarse,

What kind of sketch would you like? I can provide some SketchUp sketches if you want..

4. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

No, Bio-informatics is the correct term. They offer it at Waterloo here in North America as well.

Back on track, I like the way it's shaping up. How are you going to do the ridges on the side of the case and still be able to open it?

5. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

The side panels will slide down from the top before the top panel goes on :)

Today I managed to spend 2 hrs 40 mins in the workshop but I only got gluing of the back panel supports done, filing the base edges (inside and out) down (this took too damn long) and finally gluing of the base to a second piece below it. Pictures later though they aren't very interesting :)

6. kickarse

that'd be cool

7. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Hey again guys! I must admit for the amount of work I did today it seems little in terms of the amount of pictures I got :/ What you don't see however is the amount of time I spent filing down the edges on the base so that 5mm thick acrylic could fit snugly inside. Anyway the pics show the gluing of the support rods and the gluing of the top of the base to the bottom part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Seeing as how no-one found the last post interesting... :D

Here are more pics of what I did today :)

Fitted the front and back panel on and they fit great (woohoo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back panel

[​IMG]

Bottom with those crazy edges I told you about. Top and bottom piece are permanently glued on now.

[​IMG]

The curve on the front panel

[​IMG]

The curve on the back panel (not as bad as the front and still acceptable)

[​IMG]

The supports that will go behind the front panel so it's stable. This wasn't the final version as it didn't take the curve into account but it gives you a general idea :) Hope you all enjoy!

[​IMG]

9. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

This is great stuff.

Is it me or is there like a new wave of seriously skilled dudes out there ?

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Agree.

11. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Okay guys 4 hours of workshop madness tomorrow so I'll aim to get the front panel up and if I'm lucky the back one too ;)

12. kickarse

i'm beginning to like the masking tape look with the stripes ;)

13. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Can't wait to see the real color instead of the masking tape jailbird case.

14. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Haha sorry guys I guess this is taking really long to unveil the masking tape but I just don't want to scratch the case :/ Well today I managed to make the holes at the front for the USB and audio ports. I also filed down the back and made it nice and clean as well as glued the triangular supports on. Was aiming to glue the front panel to the base today but I left it to tomorrow morning. Will update with pictures then :)

15. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

Cool cool, cant wait. So far so good. Guess there arent any major setbacks so far so thats good!

16. kickarse

*chants*

updates updates updates

*ends chant*

17. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Great job, bahgger! Wish you could have found a workaround for that acrylic warping, but sounds like it's turning out alright in spite of. I personally love working with the stuff, but I've learned my lesson to never try and bend it! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress further.

18. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Sup guys! :D

Update update update! :)

I've been holding out for a while because it seemed as though I wasn't making progress but I really was :) Anyway here are pics guys! I got the two triangular supports at the front glued as seen below..

[​IMG]

Then the next day I chose to glue the front to the base. This required three long clamps as well as these little pieces of wood just to hold the back more securely.

[​IMG]

Final result? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then moved my attention to the back. I drew and cut out the large triangular support that would be on one side of the back. This was used instead of two so access to the PCI slots isn't choked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got the acrylic cut for the rack.. gonna bend it when I can :)

[​IMG]

Somemore pics of the triangular piece with the backpanel still not glued.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok new day new photos! :D Guess who got his motherboard tray cut out with holes drilled! Not glued because I need to get my backplate made (aluminium grr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Testing the holes. Drilled M3 so that I can use long screws instead of motherboard standoffs. This way I can adjust the distance the motherboard is from the motherboard tray :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final pic of the mobo tray. Because the back was bent, I'm having a problem using it as a support for the motherboard tray :/ I'm thinking of getting a metal sheet and bending it in a slight curve at one side so the motherboard tray can still be held. The entire plate could go behind the acrylic motherboard tray and it could have a neat design too. Anyway final pic of the front ports I drllied and made :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Whew, big update bahgger! Glad to see the progress being made! When this thing is done, it'd make a great traffic cone! ;)