Project :: Party Box :: Big Update 05/02/03

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CharlieCat, 24 Jan 2003.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Nice work mate! It's harder than it looks this case building malarky.

2. CharlieCat

CharlieCat What's a Dremel?

Small Update 28/1/03

Okay so it's taking much longer than I expected...but that's allways the case - no pun intended.

I have mounted the VFD using a couple of strips of L-shaped plastic which holds it in place lovelly.

[​IMG]

I have also spent what seemed like hours drilling and filing the cutouts for the various ports at the rear of the case...but I think it was time well spent as they look neat and clean.

[​IMG]

The hard drive has also now been mounted using a couple of stand-offs to allow for some air to pass under the drive.

[​IMG]

I have made the cutout in the front panel for the VFD to show through and installed the now obligatory, in my cases, security buttons. I will be placing a piece of plexi between the VFD and the front panel along with a bit of blue gel sheet stuff.

[​IMG]

I also picked up a couple of handles for the case but am not sure as to wether to put them on the top of the case, on the front or to buy two more and have them both on top and on the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guy's think ?

Next up will be mounting the motherboard and DC-DC converter. Then I will turn my attentions to the wiring for the VFD and hacking the IR Man infra-red thingy.

Also, having just read ZapWizards mod with the headphones I have been giving serious thought to hacking mine up also.

That's all for now....

Cheers, CC

3. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

With those thin style of handles, I personally think they look better on the front. It goes with your design and makes it look like it belongs somewhere in a submarine... lol

4. NiHiLiST

Yup, definately the front mate. Looks like a cool ultra-expensive piece of kit that you slide into place in a huge unit :D

5. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

imo, they should go on the front, helping protect the vfd (though your putting plexi on there too) while in transit. looks great, cant wait to see more :D

6. ouija

You keep saying DC-DC converter? Don't you mean AC-DC converter?

[edit] Oh yea, and if you do put the handles on the front... perhaps some rubber feet on the back so that when you lift it you don't scuff the plexi? Just a thought :) Very nice case :baby:

Last edited: 29 Jan 2003
  7. CharlieCat

Nope, I am using an external AC-DC power brick style PSU - like a notebook - which has a coresponding DC-DC power board which must take the incomming 12v and provide the other 3v and 5v rails etc.

I have not mounted the motherboard and DC-DC converter which can be seen better in the second picture under the motherboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree that the handles should go on the front too.

Cheers, CC

8. NiHiLiST

Is that the PSU from the Morex Cubid cases? Sure looks like it :)

9. CharlieCat

Yep, it certainly is my good man :clap:

Only draw back is that it's only 55w so I am going to be limited to any lighting plans I had. I bought a small CC but everytime I switch it on it reset's the system as it must draw too much power :waah:

Cheers, CC

10. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

looks like a standard via dc-dc converter.... i believe they all run off a system like that...

11. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Youve already got one,why not two in parallel?

Nice job,if you put the handels on the front then you can make a bay so you just slideit into it @ home and everything connects...

12. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

Don't forget about lighting with leds. You can get some cool effects and consume very little power. Probably won't get the "big glowing box" effect of cathodes, but that's getting played out anyway, in my opinion.

[edit]
    That's not to say I don't like the looks of CCs, but it really seems to have lost its wow factor. No flames please.:D

13. headbrace

headbrace What's a Dremel?

Where did you get those corner joints from?
    I really need some for my case project.

I must say it looks really good, and he handles look gr8 on the front. Really industrial.

14. CharlieCat

The connectors are from a firm I found on the Internet called Ross Handling. They sell all sorts of connectors and have a pretty low minimum order value, I ordered twelve corners in total I think - it was a while ago.

The tubing is 20mmx20mm steel stuff from B&Q - again I've had it a while so not sure how much it was either.

Cheers, CC

15. ouija

Do you have a link for the converter? That would be very useful in my upcoming project. I just assumed you meant an AC-DC converter.

16. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

For your info: Here are the headphones I hacked apart
    They used to be a RadioShack brand name, now they say RCA (But RCA of course doesn't make them)

They sell for $49, but go on sale for $19 about three times a year.
    (Pretty rear sale in fact)

Wireless Headphones

I suppose any IR headphones can be hacked in this way, but it will take some reverse engineering.

Oh, and front handles, makes it look like a rack mount, very industrial.

17. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

ya wouldn't happen to know when they go on sale? i'd like a pair of wireless ones, but i quit my job, so i'm low on money and $20 sounds good......

*BACK ON TOPIC*

great case!! i like it. (i luv almost any home-made case - goin that extra mile or 20 impresses me) and i've got to agree with everyone on the handles goin onto the front.....

18. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

http://mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=9#p67
    That's one UK source, I don't know if there are others. If anyone finds a US source, please email me. :)

On topic, sounds unanimous: Handles on the front.:D

[edit] my email is complexprocess@hotmail.com, btw.

19. ouija

Thanks for the link :D
    Keep up the good work btw :rock:
    Very nice case

20. olv

olv he's so bright

yeh definately stick the handles on the front. Its looking really good, i love BIG VFD's :D never really seen the point in 2 lines when u can have lots :rock:

how stable is that motherboard platform as it looks wicked i was just curious that it might wobble a bit?

and where'd you get that steel frame and corner joints, u've given me ideas for a project of mine :idea: