1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: Party Box :: Big Update 05/02/03

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CharlieCat, 24 Jan 2003.

1. CharlieCat

CharlieCat What's a Dremel?

This is a dual-purpose project.

Firstly, and mainly, I will use it as an MP3 player at home making use of the wireless network card to access MP3 files stored on my server under the stairs.

But I will also write the software such that it can operate on it's own so that it can easily be taken to parties etc and work as a stand-alone MP3 jukebox.

The case will be custom made from steel tubing, plastic corner joints, plexi sheeting and barley pattern aluminium. It will not be light but it will be strong.

The hardware will be based around an Epia-M motherboard - the passively cooled version – along with the external PSU and DC-DC converter to keep things as quite as possible. A 120GB Maxtor HDD will provide the storage and a generic wireless PCI card access to the home network. A Noritake VFD will be used for the display – or you could hook up either a TV or monitor – and an IRMan will be used to provide IR control of the box. I will write all the software myself.

Right then, let’s get on with some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now....

Cheers, CC

Last edited: 5 Feb 2003
  2. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

All I can say is, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! :D

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

:rock: excellent!... how did you bend the barley plate?... looks like it is going to be a simple/sleek design

4. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Looks nice..... looks like it's gonna be real heavy too:D

Party Box, I like the idea, will you end up with that much room left? Stick a fog machine in it..protect the goodies of course..or one of those laser thingies that projects a beam designs out onto a wall, or keep one side clear line the inside with mirrors with a disco ball..hahahha....sorry it's REAL early in the morning for me...I was just thinking if I walked into a party with something like this what would be cool to to see, this will be one hell of a conversation peice at a party man! Throw in some "WOW" gizmo stuff and everybodys your friend!!

Sorry, like I said..It's REALLY early for me and I'm not awake so forgot what I just rambled about!

Keep up the good work!

DDK

5. Spoonman

Spoonman What's a Dremel?

Looks really good man. Can't wait to watch it come together.

6. jp82729

jp82729 What's a Dremel?

Looks good. I'm lovin the industrial look. :p

7. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

tis teh hardcore that case :D:D

8. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

where ya gonna put the disco ball? :rock:

9. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Very interesting.. good luck :D

10. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Looking cool so far... Like the metal sheets a lot. Wouldn't it have been a better idea though to have made a less 'solid' construction?

11. SleeperDC

SleeperDC What's a Dremel?

nice~ :clap: :clap:

looks very good so far...

12. kiwi-x

kiwi-x What's a Dremel?

how in depth are you planning to go with the software.. are you planing on just making a small controller app, or are you planning the whole thing from the bottom up...

13. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

wow! really nice case... keep it going

14. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Lookin good. I like the "Solid" look a lot. It seems a waste though to use the Epia when you still have so much space left. It could be made much smaller.

15. CharlieCat

CharlieCat What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all your comments; I have tried to answer most of the questions/comments below. Look out for more update over the weekend as I don’t plan to spend too much time on this as I want to start using it :D

eddie_dane :: To bend the alu sheet I simply clamped the sheet to the top of the framework and used a piece of wood across the front. I then applied pressure evenly accros the width of the sheet until it was nearly bent all the way and then just hit it with a hammer – using a piece of wood to protect it – until it was flush. I then just trimmed it to size leaving a bit extra which was filled to give a neat edge.

daydreamingknight :: I love the idea of adding some form of light/laser show device to the box – I’ll add it to the things I’d like to do when it’s finished.

RAMeLaiR :: I deliberately wanted to make it extra strong as I plan on carrying it around a lot to parties/mates houses etc and it’s not that heavy that you couldn’t carry it but at the same time you could easily sit/stand on it.

kiwi-x :: Basically I will be writing everything from scratch except the code that actually plays the MP3 files as I have an ActiveX control which handles all that nicely. So it will mainly consist of the interface – both via IR and touchscreen TFT.

Dex :: I mainly chose the Epia board because it runs silent – all you can here is the hard drive and as it’s a fluid bearing model it’s pretty quiet too. The case has to be as tall as it is due to the wireless PCI card. Also the case will house the board, DC-DC converter, a standard 3.5” hard drive, a notebook style CD or DVD drive, an Irman IR receiver, an RF keyboard/mouse receiver and have a large VFD display in the front plus the odd CC if the PSU can handle it. I guess it could have been maybe an inch smaller all round but that’s about it. As it stands it’s 10” wide, 7” high and 11” deep. I plan to add both top and side windows which might make it look a little less imposing.

Cheers, CC

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Sexy!
    :rock:

17. kiwi-x

kiwi-x What's a Dremel?

all i have to say is that what's posted looks good, and what is said to come sounds even better

- good work and good luck w/ the proggie (shouldn't be hard though)

18. olv

olv he's so bright

so simple yet so effective. wheres the steel tubing and corner joints from?

19. KillerSpaz

KillerSpaz Guest

Where'd you get that DC - DC Converter!?

I like the idea that it's so strong you can sit/stand on it.... that'd be cool at lan parties, cuz then you could use it as a chair :)

20. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Nice case!

GeeK!