1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Smartphones to account for half of UK mobile market next year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Big love for android. i can use it, my dumb friends have no problem with it and my technophobic father even enjoys using it. i was interested in rim/bb but android had the better looking future at the time, which is important when we are talking about 24month contracts.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's already happened - Smartphones outsold "dumbphones" in the UK back in March 2011. This is from counting up all the sales of phones in the UK each week as well, not from a survey.

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I bought a Droid (a Desire) and, frankly, I regret not splashing out on an iPhone 4. Everything on Android just feels like it's all still in beta, and the number of glitches nearly outstrip my terrible old Nokia 5800.

I mean sure, you get more choice and you get some more freedom with Android, but why is that a good thing in a phone, I want something that works as and when I need it to. I can deal with the odd glitch in Windows because there's no real time factor, but when I'm out and about and I need to call/text/whatever and it freezes, the lock screen screws up or some other stupid glitch occurs I just hate it.

And @Bauul, in case you hadn't noticed, people don't buy a new phone every week to use, people use the same phone they had a year or more ago in a lot of cases. Use =/= No. of sales.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

They might have outsold them, but the article refers to the whole market - ie everyone who owns a mobile phone, not just those who bought one in March. Dumbphones might have been outsold in March, but they still account for more than half of phones out there in the UK - this is set to change next year.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i hope Apple will not miss the trick here for their new iPhone announcement.

as said in the article, most people buy a cheap smartphone first, before placing their loyalty on a particular platform. that's how i entered touchscreen smartphone market: iphone 2G on cheap first, then upgrade to iphone 4 on its release. (heavily tempted by 3GS, but was poor as a student)

so if Apple can produce an iOS phone cheaper than HTC Wildfire to draw people into their eco system. Apple may gain quite a large market share from this smartphone boom.

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

They can't. Part of the appeal with Apple is it's exclusivity due to cost of entry. Apple's marketing mirrors that of a fashion company after all...

I should dredge up the posts from my history where I predicted exactly this ;)

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ah okay fine, that was me reading the article too fast - my bad! Although in my defence the following 90% of the article is about what phones the respondants had just bought.

Interestingly, I worked in the industry for a couple of years, mostly with phone manufacturers, and from their point of view "ownership" figures were pretty unimportant. Basically this is because so many people hold on to their phones for years, they might own a particular brand but they're not contributing to the market in any way.

Instead, they were far more interested in how many phones sold each month/quarter/year, which was a far more immediate concern, as it's on that that a company lives or dies.

9. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I'm very much looking forward to moving to Android when my contract is up in a few months as Nokia really left me with out a paddle in terms of Apps/Updates for the N900. Great hardware/software but without the apps its a bit boring!

10. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

I've got no problem with the apps on the n900 - then again all I wan't is a python interpreter, c++ compiler and an x terminal so I probably don't classify as the average smartphone user.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Smartphone count increases yet available bandwidth, data speed and data allowances decrease.

12. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

NEWSFLASH: Garcia Hotspur in Demonic phone hacking scandal! Garcia Hotspur, the globe trotting happy go lucky demon slayer denies the claims of his arch nemesis Fleming about hacking into his HDT Desired and deleting the names of some of his potential demonic posessions. "A Demon can't even do an honest days posession without one of these bleedin do-gooders turning up with their bleedin Holy Water and Crosses " said Fleming " and now he's even hacked into me bleedin phone as well". When asked about the claims Garcia simply said "My name is Garcia Hotspur, hunter of demons. My wrath is your Hell!".

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Since everyone needs 2 phones in any case (business & personal), I got an iPhone and an android based phone, they both have features I really love, whomever can meld the 2 into 1 will make billions!!!

Cheers,
    S*D

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I feel your pain mate, though a fair bit more! I got an N97 on release with a 2 year contract and BOY did I suffer. Just got myself a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I'm not looking back :D

For those who favour Apple over Android, I say to each their own. Android can be a brilliant platform, but obviously the hardware isn't anywhere near as well vetted as Apple. If you get a great phone than IMO it's better than iOS as a platform.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I would say my shop at the as in merchandising is 60% smartphones at the moment and sales wise at 40% smartphones now

16. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

the n900 isnt a smartphone - well nokia didnt sell it as one. they constantly said it was a mini/palm computer with phone function. and it was squarely aimed at the techie types who fancied getting dirty with something, one of the reasons they were quite difficult to get hold of.

17. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

And half of the people buying Android phones go "Huh? Whats Android?". To them its just buying a fancier phone.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm a candidate for a "dumb phone".
    As my criterium for 90% is "Long Battery Lifetime".
    I'm old enough to have had phones that barely lasted a day, and it's a bloody annoyance.

Anything under a weekend is unacceptable.
    An week is a must.
    two weeks is what I get from any old nokia (with a new battery)

The only thing "Smart" I'd like the phone to do is have a free (connectionless) GPS map.
    OVI-maps offer this, but alas only for the dying Nokias

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately there Nokia will soon all be windows based phones

20. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Word on the net is Apple will be launching two phones, a budget iPhone 4GS and the iPhone 5.
    Apple are now playing catch up in the phone market to be honest, they are fair too behind the Android world in terms of specs, price and market share. As good as the new iPhone 5 will likely be, the Samsung Galaxy S3 will likely eclipse it.

Tags: Add Tags