1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Another very low-cost option to stop pedals from sliding about is to get a rubber mat for your floor, or just a rubber off-cut from a local trader. At most it should cost you about £3-4.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bit Sec Tagline

Hello all. For upcoming Bit Sec Artwork that Pica will be helping us out with, lets have a think about our organisation 'tagline'.

Though there are no 'rules' for this, my personal guiding principles for this are:

• Keep it short and sharp
    • Steer away from any BT related 'in' jokes as we already have pubbers
    • Maybe space/tech leaning
    • Alliteration can be fun

Get your thinking helmets on this weekend then folks. On Tuesday we'll organise a poll, and as always Bit Sec'ers can choose their favourite, with the winner being announced next Saturday.

Sound good?

3. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

BOOO!

We Came; We Saw; We had Cheesecake

May The Relix Be With You

Or if you prefer some Latin phrases:
    ad altiora tendo - I strive towards higher things
    ad astra per aspera - to the stars through difficulties
    Amat victoria curam - Victory favors care
    audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune Favors The Bold (also: fortes fortuna adiuvat)
    aut vincere aut mori - either to conquer or to die
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

fortis cadere, cedere non potest - The Brave may fall, but cannot yield
    hinc itur ad astra - from here the way leads to the stars
    lupus non timet canem latrantem - a wolf is not afraid of a barking dog
    praesis ut prosis ne ut imperes - Lead in order to serve, not in order to rule.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If we're going Latin, then "Veni, Libero, Vici" - I came, I played, I won.

Or the ever-appropriate "Pew, Pew, Pew"

5. Tomisama

Tomisama the loyal fanatic

I am still looking for my thinking helmet; I know I had one, didn’t I?
    (its hell to get old – lol)
    Until I find it, please consider the following as coming from a friendly spirit.

I have hesitated to say this, not wanting to be at direct odds or make anyone feel bad; but to be true to my own recent experience and desiring not-to-be-the-one who should have said something early-on.

Why do you need pedals?

I thought I did, so bought them and tested their application in about four different popular flight programs, and found them to be of little if any use. None of any true consequence to be sure!

Now if you were flying vintage or popular civilian aircraft simulations in training for the real thing, I could see the added expense and experience as beneficial. However, have you noticed virtually all joystick controllers enable Z-axis for rudder control? And none that I know of physically block stick rotation, which would require that you use pedals?

I believe that this is because the jet speed and space era craft that most people are interested in simulating, have electronic control systems that take care of any rudder compensations required. And of course in space there is no use for rudder or ailerons at all. Even the steering of jet aircraft on the ground is handled through electronic nose-wheel control, and not the rudder corrections of the propeller age.

So again; why do you need rudder pedals?

Maybe as a backup system for atmospheric flying, but honestly they are so limited in effect, you can fly without them...

Last edited: 7 Mar 2014
  6. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Hadn't thought of that, maybe it would. What I need is strong reference points.

Because, it's not rudder, it's pitch, roll and yaw controls.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

My Thrustmaster Warthog has no Z-axis (or twist stick) on the flight stick because it's a direct copy of the A-10 setup, which uses pedals. As such, for this stick, they're required.

Secondly, I hate twist stick. It's incredibly easy to apply a bit of rudder when you don't intend to do so.

Thirdly, it's not "rudder" per say, but simply the Z-axis. The flightstick, by its nature, should only be providing X and Y, which leaves as a necessity another input device for Z.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The twist on my X-52 is really stiff, nearly impossible to use I find, so some cheap peddles may be needed.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So, uh, I accidentally spent some money. I got a large repayment of travel expenses that I had already budgeted for, and the cash was spare. So I ordered one of these which I've had my eyes on for a good while:
    [​IMG]

I ordered it with the triple monitor mount, additional desk worktop mounts (as can be seen in the above picture) and the A10 warthog throttle/stick mounts. My wallet is crying but it's going to be awesome. Only downside? Can't actually fit it in my flat until I move in the summer of 2015! (However I'm going to be massively busy with my medical degree finals until that point anyway).

Gives me time to decide what the hell I'm going to do with monitors - I definitely want triple, but I'm trying to work out if I want 3x 16:9 or go funky with 1x 21:9 and 2x 16:9...

Last edited: 9 Mar 2014
  10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I am coming to your house to steal your stuff...once I get a gym membership and weight train for a few years...

Shall we call another 8pm Sunday meeting? RSI chat would be good, teamspeak would be better

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Can't do today, but we can swing one in a few weeks. Not sure there's new stuff to discuss yet - personally I think we wait for just before DFM and get things like comms set up and so forth.

12. VipersGratitude

No worries...but with the dfm being a matter of weeks away, and less than 7K alpha slots left available it would be worth getting something regular going.

I know I haven't watched all 60 episodes of wingmans hangar, and I'm sure I'm the rule not the exception, so we can share info amongst ourselves, and perhaps with others (and hopefully overcome their objections to pledging).

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'd say leave it for 2 weeks - Top Gear will have finished by then.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

DFM is a month away, minimum, so we've got time. Sunday 30th at 2000?

15. VipersGratitude

Sounds good to me....and once a time has been settled on perhaps Parge could advertise the inaugural TS meeting in the thread name? Attendance wasn't great last time.

It may also be worth starting up a Bit-Sec steam group, just as an easy directory for communication outside the game - "We're going to lose the station, and all your assets, unless you get your butt online!"

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I was thinking, when the PU is up and running will we still use TS? As personally this would spoil the RP for me a lot...

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It really depends what comms arrangements are in-game to be honest.

18. VipersGratitude

I thought about that too....first and foremost it all depends on the competency of the in-game comms. If it is up to scratch then TS could still be used by a comms officer on a multi-person ship, hopefully streamlining fleet communications, while never shattering the illusion for those who want to completely immerse themselves in role-playing. Unless you're the comms officer...

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's the thing. If they basically build TeamSpeak or similar in to the game then great, otherwise we're going to have to use something else because we will need the flexibility. I also imagine comms will be a late thing to be included.

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew