1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Twin-Pump Setups...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulW, 9 Mar 2004.

1. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this, or thought of the idea? Also if it would be a good idea or not...

Say the system has 2 pumps, and is set up something like...

Resevoir
    \/
    \/
    Radiator
    \/
    \/
    Pump 1
    \/
    \/
    CPU
    \/
    4-way splitter
    \/
    \/
    GFX (Line 1 + 2), Northbridge (Line 3), HDD (Line 4)
    \/
    4 Lines re-joined into 1
    \/
    \/
    Pump 2
    \/
    \/
    Resevoir

and then re-loops again...

Not sure if it would be a good idea now thinking about it, but would the 2 pumps help to increase flow, as there isn't as much effort for just one pump, or would it make more sense to do something like...

Resevoir (1 Line Out)
    \/
    \/
    Radiator (1 Line In, 2 Lines Out)
    \/
    \/
    Pump 1 (Line 1) - Pump 2 (Line 2)
    \/
    \/
    CPU (Line 1) - GFX (Line 2)
    \/
    \/
    HDD (Line 1) - Mobo Chipset(Line 2)
    \/
    \/
    Resevoir (2 Lines In)

opinions please...

2. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Put them in series (one after the other) will work fine aslong as the attual flow rate dosent excede the max flow rating fo the smallest pump. :thumb:

3. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Both pumps will be exatcly the same spec

reason I'm askin about the 4-way split, is the cooler i'm getting made up now will have 1 in & 4 out...

4. slater

You wont have any problems then :)

5. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

:clap: Gona get myself 2 pumps now instead of just one :rock:

maybe its more greed than anything with me wanting two :naughty:

6. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal Minimodder

You'd definately want them in parallel. If you put them in series, you'll just get more pressure, and not much more flow rate. If however you put them in parallel, you'll get about the two flow rates added together (in theory, ignoring resistance). It's basic electronics, but it also applies to water, or so my textbook tells me.

7. slater

But pressure is what we want :D . With the higher pressure comes more flow and higher performance. Running 2 pumps in series is like haveing 1 pump with double the head rating. The down side is the extra heat your putting into the water

:thumb:

8. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

I doubt the extra bit of heat put into the water will be much of a problem with the h/core which is going to be used!

So best then with a loop something like

Res -- h/core -- Pump 1 -- water blocks n all -- Pump 2 -- Res

:confused:

9. slater

Well yeh your right The performance gained by incresed flow rate/pressure will counteract that that is lost buy the heat of the extra pump.

That setup looks fine to me. It dosent relly matter were things are located in the loop just go for what fits the case best.
    :thumb:

10. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Question is now though...

Given the fact the MCP600 is gona be a complete git to get hold of, should I settle with 2 DangerDen pumps...

I'd rather have a 12v pump than an 230vAC pump!

11. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Sorry about the size of the pic, but this is a 'rough' idea...

[​IMG]

size of the arrows don't mean anything, its just my pants drawing skills within PSP, but all they do is show the direction of the flow!

the blue squares is where the tubes are joined together

12. overfloe

overfloe What's a Dremel?

wow 2 DD pumps! wont that be overkill :naughty:

13. olv

olv he's so bright

I think the resistance of the NB block and hard drive cooler will but much greater then the GPU block so the water will prefer to go through the gpu block so you risk low/dead flow to your NB and hard drive i think. Watercooling is much better if you keep it simple and dont complicate it too much with lots of different loops and stuff.

14. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

already thought of that one, will use some sort of adjustable valves so the flow doesn't favour certain routes...

Plus will help me fine-tune the efficency of the setup for different needs.

15. olv

olv he's so bright

But surely by using valves to balance the flow, it effectively means that you make some bits more restrictive in order to make it even? Surely you want to make the system as least restrictive as possible so that you get maximum flow and pressure? I don't know if a '1 in 4 out' block is the best way to solve your problem. Perhaps if you have a resevoir with 2 outlets and 1 inlet. Have two seperates loops that run off the same res and rad buy have the CPU on it's own on one loop and then the other 3 on the other, then join up both loops to go through the radiator and then to the resevoir. I think that's how i'd do it. But i guess you've already thought of this so try and out and see how it goes :thumb:

16. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Don't overcomplicate things...

Run everything in series and stick to 1 pump. If you are after extra flow then put 2 pumps in parrallel, or better, get a bigger pump.

It doesn't matter how much flow rate or pressure you have in the system if you can't remove the heat. You would be far better off getting a bigger/ extra radiator.

I run a large radiator with Northbridge > GPU > CPU > Rad > Reservoir > Pump and get 40C passively cooled @ 3.3GHz full load. Idle temps get below 27C with a Low Flow PAPST fan @ 7v.

If you run the pumps in series you are unlikely to make any gains at all.

I will say again, the most important part of the watercooling system is removing the heat. The colder the water is the more heat it will take up.

17. slater

Whats that? ;)

I will say this again run the pumps in series! you will gain lots of performance with a restrictive system. with the pumps in parallel there is no increse in the pressure and thus as soon as it water gets to the restrictive cpu block all advantage is lost.

If it was me i would run one pump after the other. In your dig. one of the pumps is pumping directly into the res which is a total waste. these pumps dont work well as suction pumps :rolleyes:

I would have res-pump-hcore-pump-blocks-res

Have you seen bladerunners setup? it is simlar to yours and works perfectly well. if you want to go for ull watercooling then its best not to run eveything in series as it would kill flow.

Oh and his rad is pretty dam large. as big as a caprice core just square :thumb:

neway work calls

18. pauldenton

pauldenton What's a Dremel?

just in case you do get those pumps, note that you have the flow through them the wrong way round.... the short straingt pipe is the inlet, the longer one with the curve is the outlet.

19. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

Running two pumps in serial won`t do much good. The first pump will move the water to the second pump, and the second pump will move the water further, at exactly the same speed as the first pump(they are exactly the same!) If they aren`t the same, one pump will push the other.
    But as this is a restrictive closed loop, the "power" of 2 pumps will help them reach closer to their original GPH

The best way would be to split the tubing before and after the pumps(paralell):

Pump1
    -< >-----
    Pump2

But i think they would still be restricted by the size of tubing etc..

20. diehrd

diehrd What's a Dremel?

The 1 dd pump is more then enough.If you want lower temps get rid of that silly little RAD. And run parallel lines to 2 larger radiators.Use 4 120mm fans per rad in the push pull set up and the reduction of temps would be a lot more then what you are looking to do.And I am betting less expensive.

Tags: