1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATE 3/27 - Custom Plexi PC/HTPC/SFF

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jivecat, 26 Feb 2003.

1. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Hi there!
    Longtime modder (cars,houses,people), newb PC modder here.
    Starting my first custom case project and I just thought I'd start a log on it.

The Goal: "Small 'n Silent do-it-all PC"
    - This new rig will replace my 4yr old beige box (pIII 600). It will be required to play all media types (music,video,etc.), watch/record TV (PVR), facilitate video editing (so I can bring my work home), be silent (so's that I can sleep in peace while it burns the midnight oil rendering projects), and pop popcorn in less than 3 minutes.

The Concept: I'm shooting for a minimalist case design that would stand out but not be gaudy at the same time. While I want this rig to function as an HTPC, I am not of the school of thought that feels it should look like a Hi-Fi component. It's different, so I want to look that way. I've decided to fabricate it out of plexi because, well, plexi rules and I don't have the tools to make it out of tempered steel.

Ok, enough chit-chat. On to some pics.
    I've just ordered most of the parts of this computer. Should have most of it in by the end of the week or at the latest early next week. So for now, just the tools...

[​IMG]
    My trusty B&D RTX. Not much more to say other than it's pretty awsome.

[​IMG]
    My trusty B&D cordless screwdriver (yes, I'm a B&D whore). It uses alkaline batteries (which have yet to be run dead) so I won't have to wait to recharge it. Good torque too.

[​IMG]
    My trusty Coleman (better known for their sleeping bags and camping stoves) cordless drill. It's a $35 dollar drill, so this item is more of an experiment in how long a piece of junk'll last. So far so good for projects around the house (just need good bits).

That's all for now! I'll post more pics as the project progresses. Until then, you can just wait in agony as I am for my parts to come in. :wallbash:

Last edited: 28 Mar 2003
  2. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Got (most of) my components this past monday. Here's a little peek:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Amd 2400+

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Biostar M7NCG Micro-ATX Mobo (Nforce2...)

[​IMG]
    Zalman Silent CPU Heatsink

I also picked up my plexi for the case. It's a 1/4" piece that measures 10.25" x 39.11". It's a solid white color. I thought about making the case clear, but my goal was not a "Clear PC", so I chose because it looks very clean and should fit in nicely with my house.

I was planning on waiting until the weekend to form the plexi, but I just couldn't wait! So I went right to it on Monday...

(Click on image for larger version)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I built a wood form that I'm going to use to bend the plexi around. I routed the edges with a 1/2" radius.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I centered the plexi on the top of the box and clamped it down. Then I did the first bend...

[​IMG]
    And another bend...

[​IMG]
    Just a couple more bends and I'm done!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Awww. Wouldn't you know it. I overshot my measurements and I have too much plexi! I wanted the ends to meet flush. What do to, what to do...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I wanted them to meet in the center (tho really it's not important), so I marked the center with a pencil....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    And went at the first side with my RTX. No problem!

[​IMG]
    Oops! Broke a cutting disk for the first time ever! No matter, I've got 19 more! (I went on to break 4 more within the next few minutes :sigh:) Note to self: Plexi melts easy! And then it's a major pain once it cools and hardens...

[​IMG]
    But no matter. I got the other side done pretty easily.

[​IMG]
    After some sanding down, this is what I have. The edges aren't completely flat, but I'm tired, so I'll leave this till the weekend.

Thus far, forming the plexi was by far the easiest. I had no problems with my plexi bubbling and each bend went pretty quickly. bending all 4 corners took roughly 1 hour (with stops to take pics in between).

Next steps:
    How to mount the mobo in the case. I'm thinking of mounting the board on another piece of plexi that I'll route a couple channels into the underside that will coincide with a couple channels in the base of the case where the mobo tray will just slide into. Any ideas? I don't want to mount the mobo directly onto the case because that'll mean I can't use my power screwdriver whenever I want to take the mobo out! (it doesn't fit) :waah:

Also, a bit more on the system. I'll be putting in 2 HD's. One 60gb with partitions for the system and another for files, and one 120gb to be used solely for video editing (my job)...oh and PVR functions too.
    I've also purchased an ATI Radeon All In Wonder 8500 that I'll be using for TV and PVR stuff. In testing in my old old computer (600mHz P3), it works quite nicely.
    I've also got a special treat (at least for myself :)) that I'll be using as my optical drive. I'm still gathering components and testing, so more on that another time...

Also, where can one go to get motherboard connectors? I need a power button connector (i know where to get a button), connectors for the various leds, etc. This may be obvious to most, but as this is my first custom case, rather my first mod period, heck it's the first time I've built my own computer, so I'm a little in the dark so to speak.

Anyway, that's all probably until this weekend.
    Comments are welcome.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2003
  3. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Looking very nice sir! Even the wood form was cool enough!

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Looking good.

Maybe after the plexi stuff, make something out of the wood form as well ?

5. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Yeah, before I bought the plexi, I was even thinking of making the case out of some nice wood, all stained and polished like with a little wooden power button. Just may yet do it...

6. sinizterguy

It would definitely look really good.

Not many wood cases out there.

7. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

The only problem with the wooden form (actually MDF) that I've already made is that my routing job to round the edges is pretty ghetto (tho it doesn't really matter for forming 1/4" plexi). That's what a $6 router bit will get you.

8. remy74

remy74 What's a Dremel?

motherboard connectors

Can you just gank them from your old case?

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

DVD Burner? :D

10. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Nope! I wish!

Truth be told, the "treat" is not an unheard of component, it just isn't used much in custom rigs.

11. sinizterguy

What's that ? Don't keep us in suspense.

12. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Re: motherboard connectors

I would, but I'm also going to use my old case as a unix server. So I kinda need some of that stuff.

13. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Well, the thing is, I don't really know yet if it will work. I'm waiting on some added components to come in before I can try it. I won't say what because I don't want to disappoint (myself especially) should it not work.

14. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Okay, after sanding the edges with a sanding block armed with 36 grit sandpaper, I got them (nearly) flush. I moved on to joining the edges.

I clamped the plexi back around the wood form and rebent some of the corners to tighten things up a bit. Fortunately, the edges met up almost completely flush. So I clamped it down and applied heat for 2 min, let it cool for 2 min, and repeated this cycle once more. At the moment, it's clamped up and I'm going to let it sit overnight.

Here's a pic of the "finished" product:
    [​IMG]

I did get some bubbling from applying the heat because the area I was applying it to was so small. And as one can see, there's still a visible line where the edges meet.
    [​IMG]

It's not really a big problem tho because it should be cleaned up when I wet sand the whole thing, and I might add some sort of sealant to the join between the edges.

Next up:
    -Still working on figuring out how I'm going to mount the mobo in the case. I've known others to use plexi as a mobo tray. Is this really a problem?
    -I've got to make an HD cage for my 2 drives and a bracket to hold the optical drive. These will be made out of plexi.

Expect another update in a week or so. :)

15. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to say it's looking good, good luck with the mobo mounting, I don't know but someone here will!!

DDK

16. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

you know what ive never seen someone do that i think would amke workin on that case easier, afterall the parts are boxed in so building the system will be a chalenge.

get the rails and wheels for kitchen drawers and make yourself a removable motherboard try. they way you can install everything on the plexi try, have the rails under the mobo to hide them. then just slide your system in. workin on the insides should be a breeze two with this idea. Oh and you could put your HDD or power LEDs in the tray, under the mobo and make the edges glow.

17. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Interesting idea. I'm going to look into that.

18. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

It looks really good! I've added a couple of items to my next-Xmas gift list :naughty: :naughty:

GeeK!

19. richms

richms What's a Dremel?

How exactly did you round the corners of the wood there? Just a router bit or was there more to it then that?

20. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Yeah, pretty much. But a little more detail if you'd like:
    Got a edge/corner roundoff router bit with a 1/2" radius. I rounded off the edges before connecting the panels together. I used my Rotozip, set the depth on the tool, eyed the edge and used a wooden block to route a straight line across the edge of the board. My first time wasn't so straight or smooth (first time using a Rotozip or routing anything), so I just readjusted, and went over the edge again. Much better. Each route went better than the last.

I was pretty happy with the results I got and felt it was smooth enough to form plexi around. Tho if I were to actually use the box for something, I would sand it down a bit to even things out.