1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATE 3/27 - Custom Plexi PC/HTPC/SFF

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jivecat, 26 Feb 2003.

1. Caged

Caged What's a Dremel?

Looking very good so far m8 :). Just hide the join at the bottom/back of the case.

Have you had a chance to play with that Biostar board? What's it like etc.

And if you are from the UK [which I doubt] then where did it come from? I really need an nForce2 mATX board for my Lan rig :(

2. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

It's quite good actually. I don't do much overclocking, but it does have all the normal features for adjusting things such as FSB, etc.
    So far a very stable board.

Sorry, not from the UK. I purchased the board at Mwave.com

3. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

It's a masterpiece!!:baby: :baby: :eeek: :rock: :hip: :cooldude: :) :jawdrop:

4. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't done as much work as I wanted to, but here's a little update.

I finally got my optical drive. Check it out.
    [​IMG]
    Top View

Hmmm, maybe that angle isn't good enough. Here's a shot of the front.
    [​IMG]

Better? How about a shot of the back...
    [​IMG]

What exactly is it you ask? It's a slim slot load DVD-Rom, an often searched for but not often found jewel. I found it on ebay. It's supposedly an OEM'd drive for Apples iMacs (the old models with the slot load drive). But it's made by Panasonic so I took a chance that it was really only a normal laptop drive.

For the most part, I was right. It has the same connection as any other laptop CD/DVD-ROM EXCEPT for the fact that it's flipped upside down!
    [​IMG]

So what's the problem? Well, I picked up the obligatory "Laptop CD/DVD-ROM to Desktop IDE" adapter, which is supposed to fit right to the back of the drive.
    [​IMG]
    To Slim DVD-ROM connector

[​IMG]
    To IDE,Power,Audio cables on desktop mobo.

However, due to the flipped connector, the adapter must also be flipped: (Click for larger versions)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately, a flipped connector doesn't keep the drive from correcly functioning in my computer, though the adapter sticking out isn't the most elegant solution in my opinion.

So, at the moment, I'm looking for an extension cable of some sort. Oddly, I haven't been able to find any laptop CD-ROM cables, with which I would plan to make a small extension so that I could flip the connectors and hence the adapter could fit behind the drive. (I've already looked into flipping the connector on either the drive or the adapter. WAY out of my league :eeek: )

5. NeMoo

NeMoo What's a Dremel?

Hey, whats the name of that cd rom drive and do u know a place in Texas to get one :D

6. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

It's a Matsu****a-Kotobuki (Panasonic) SR-8185-C. Sorry, I don't know where you can get one in texas.

(the forum filter messed up and filtered out part of the name. The missing letters are: S H I T. Funny, the filter actually forced me to swear :eyebrow: )