1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Why PC won't boot with display port connected?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 15 Jul 2012.

1. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Just out of curiosity is your monitor DisplayPort 1.2 or an older version? There are very few 1.2 displays currently even though the latest standard has been out for a long time now.

2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Ill go out on a limb this is Bit... Not sure how expensive DP cables are but could you mod the cable? Just a thought.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Depends. A driver update may solve the issue, or using an older driver. Also check for any firmware of your graphic card (also referred as BIOS, despite being for graphic cards), which can do some workaround to support additional motherboards, such as yours. Also look for any motherboard BIOS update. Try also an older version of your BIOS.. sometimes the manufacture fixed something but broke something else, such as compatibility with your graphic card.

You see, circuit design is very costly. If you want the best of the best, you need to look at enterprise solution, and med to high range Quadro's or the equivalent from AMD. Cost a lot. So shortcuts are made. While test are done, probably ASUS, in your case, didn't test DisplayPort with your graphic card, or didn't test it at all. OR, it could be the graphic card that applies a workaround to fix many other motherboards (lower end ones), and by doing so, broke stuff that, while made DVI and VGA work perfectly, DisplayPort didn't (probably they didn't test it, and assumed instead that it would work).

Maybe that is why your research concluded as a 0 issue, but with later BIOS of the motherboard, or graphic card, or even revision of the motherboard or revision of the graphic card, or simply driver update, broke things.

And that is.. assuming... that my contact is right... Remember that he didn't nor did I, have any testing equipment to make sure that this hypothesis of the problem is true. It might be something else.

I just felt like mentioning it, to keep in mind. Honestly, if this hypothesis of the cause of the problem is true, I don't think you could have done anything. Even if you had a physical picture of the motherboard in super high details, passing through each PCI-E wires, making sure that the length of each of them are identical (that is why if you look at a circuit board, you have wires that turn like a maze for no reason, instead of doing a straight line), it won't help. As sometimes it's a mater of 0.5mm difference.. and possibly lower. Remember tat we are talking about ms latency here from a or some wires.

4. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

I can't remember which revision monitor I have ( it might be the A02 or A03, but not quite sure until I find out from records )... All I know that it's a U2311H, and I think bought it off ebay, think last year ( also can't quite remember ) from a e-tailer... I think this monitor is a refurbished one as well... Will that make any differences?... As it is, the current set up works when I unplug DP cable, boot up, plug DP cable a second or two after booting up & also when I reboot too...

So, for the time being it'll have to be this way, I'll probably grab either a cheapo HD5450 or another HD7750 and use the old method & split the outputs between two gfx cards... Just wished something will go right for me when I buy anything for my PC build, I never get it easy! :waah:

5. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not, but the latest ratification of DisplayPort standard is 1.2, and they've only started to make displays/graphics chips with that version very recently so it sounds like your monitor is a 1.1 (which is fine) but I just thought there might be a chance that you're more likely to run into issues or bugs if it's not the very latest displayport.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

But then why moving the graphic card and monitor to another computer (different motherboard), the problem is not existent anymore.

7. trueno!

I wished I knew exactly...

- Sent from my CFX Skate via tapatalk...

8. Seanrodri

Seanrodri What's a Dremel?

Good luck, eh.

9. trueno!

Was checking prices on displayport cables on ebay again & came across this cable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8M-Disp...ion_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4d02ee39da and I'm now wondering whether I should get one of these to try out & see whether I am currently using a wrong dp cable ( the v1.1 standard ) which is this one I bought on ebay also http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280886861238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 ... What do you say guys/gals?... I have this suspicion that I need the v1.2 dp cable to get my monitor & HD7750 working properly when I cold boot my PC, but am not entirely sure though!?...

I await your responses! ;)

10. trueno!

Bump to above post! :p

11. urbanriot

urbanriot What's a Dremel?

While googling possible solutions for my issue, possibly the same issue you're suffering, I came across your post.

In my situation I have a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD7970 based card that was working just fine with my DisplayPort connected HP ZR2740W monitor until I flashed my BIOS, formatted my system, made a few changes, etc.

I have an Intel workstation motherboard S5520SC and sensibly, it must have been the motherboard BIOS flash that affected how the video card functions as the previous flash I was using was about a year old. Moral of this story was 'if it ain't broke' but I wanted to take advantage of some updated virtualization options.

I highly doubt my issue is a cable problem and it's possible yours isn't as well... I'll update if I resolve my issue on my own. Next up - play with some obscure PCIe BIOS settings...

I'm also going to update my video card BIOS in the event they've corrected some kind of issue with motherboard compatibility.