1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 100w Drawing Lightbulb

Discussion in 'Modding' started by M_D_K, 23 Feb 2012.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Hello fellow techers :)

Got a bit of a pickle at work I need to make a 100W drawing lightbult with a Bayonet fitting, as you can't buy 100W bulbs anymore due to the goverment having a hissy.

Basicly one of our Press breaks has a light on the front that indicates when the light guards are active and if the bulb breaks the machine wont work until it detects a new 100W lightbulb and has to be 100W, I've got the engineer out but I'm not paying there crazy money to fix the problem so.

If I got an LED bulb what would I need to cram into it to make it draw the extra say 94w of juice safely :) ?

All help will be met with cookies of greatness :).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Bulb-...9343600?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item27c20ccdf0

Cheap ebay bulb.

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I found 100W bulbs in stock in my local pound shop, and promptly purchased 6 boxes. I use them in my office, because energy saving light-bulbs just don't cut it when you're making intricate models, or drawing. I don't care if energy saving bulbs claim to be 100W equivalents, they simply don't come close.

So yeah, have a look around, they're still available.

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You couldn't put 100W through an LED without melting it.

LED's by design draw a very small amount of current, so without fitting a "big ol' current sucking resistor" you're not going to find what you are after.

You might be better off looking for a Xenon Halogen Lamp with a bayonet fitting as this will give you the high current draw you're after.

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

That is exactly what I'm after, how would I wire that into the bulb so that it draws the power?

I'll take a look at the halogen option as well :).

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Not through one LED no but you could through an LED lamp if they existed in such a high power draw package :p

I really wouldn't go for Xenon, they have such short lamp life!

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I've got a load of 100w philips lightbulbs that are energy efficient. They are avaliable.

Also you could try amazon?

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

9. Dezzsoke

Dezzsoke What's a Dremel?

Or you could use 2 60watt bulbs, just cut the wire, and connect another bulb parallel.
    since its parallel the machine thinks its 120watt.

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

According to the engineer its got to be 100w :(, got one old 100w in at the moment but will work on modding an LED lightbulb when it arrives.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Have you actually tried a lower wattage bulb? Despite what the engineer says their usually 'fitters' not 'engineers' so when it comes to servicing they replace like for like.

I had an engineer at my last job throw a fit over the fact we gave him a purple Cat5 patch to replace his broken grey Cat5 cable they use in the field to talk to our devices. Needless to say we gave him a Red cat5 cable and said it was faster.

12. Dezzsoke

Dezzsoke What's a Dremel?

there's 60watt bulb, and there's also 40watt bulb, 60+40=100, but i think anything over 100watt will turn the thing on.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ This. I'd think it very strange that the machine sensor would be married to a specific wattage of bulb. I bet it just looks for a closed circuit and any bulb will do.