1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Beauty in Decay

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Guest-23315, 25 Dec 2010.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

I asked for this for Christmas and have just got it, and I think its an absolutely STUNNING collection of photographs. Definitely recommended.

Amazon link

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Also the following site might be of interest...

Clicky.

Darkened

Guest-23315 likes this.
  4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I love this kind of stuff, but I don't have the balls to sneak into these places.

On the other hand, that's why I chase shipwrecks.

Any idea how he's getting those colors? Is it HDR or just super saturating?

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This is definitely my favourite photographical genre without a shadow of doubt.

Also, Darkened, great link :thumb:

6. ninety2wo

ninety2wo What's a Dremel?

I've never heard of it, post some examples?

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Last edited: 13 Jan 2011
  8. Cthippo

There probably is a filter, but upping the contrast and saturation achieves that effect.

I joined the site but haven't gotten anything posted yet. Been focusing on my own website.

9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

HDR techniques (including combining exposures in post) are probably also used in a lot of the photos on the website.

That combined with upping the contrast, clarity and sharpening either in post or during the tone mapping will result in the kind of photos the website seems to be teaming with.

I must say that though HDR is usually understood as the "over-the-top" processed images, there are more than a few examples on the site which are really well balanced.

Darkened

10. Cthippo

IS HDR done in post processing or does it have to be within the camera?

My camera is really crap at high contrast shots :(

11. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

You're better off reading a good article about HDR, like this...

But basically it can be done combining (usually) 3 to 9 images in post processing, but the initial work is done in camera. By that I mean keeping the camera on a tripod and taking the 3-9 images with different exposures.

From there you can either do exposure blending in photoshop via masking, use photoshops HDR function or say Photomatix, which will do both for you + tone mapping.

I haven't done any yet with my 7D, but with my Oly E-3 there was a handy way of taking 5 exposures in a few seconds. So check out if your camera has an exposure bracketing option and also if it can use that bracketing with continuous burst. I had my E-3 take 5 photos at 5fps and the exposures were 0 (normal exposure from camera), -2 stops, -1 stop, +1 stop and +2 stops.

With Canon it's a bit more tricky since it only allows for 3 shots, so -2, 0, +2 (or what ever bracketing you set in the menu), but there are ways around that. So check your camera manual and do a search for your camera model + HDR and see what pops up.

There is a lot of good articles and forums about HDR, so that's recommended reading for you if you are interested in HDR.

Sorry if I missed something important, still a bit tired :hehe:

Darkened