1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Compact Workbench Project

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 26 Nov 2012.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I haven't visited here for an age!

Anyway, I thought I would post something I'm working on. I'm quite heavily into electronics (analogue and digital) at the moment. I did convert the spare room into a workshop when we moved to this house:

[​IMG]

However, we are currently trying for a baby, so the mancave must go! Hence, I need a new workbench that is compact (to fit in the corner of the living room) and hides away all the ugly stuff when not in use.

Concept:

[​IMG]

Features required:
    - Loads of cubby holes and shelves, to fit projects (big and small), boxes of bits, tools, instruments, meters...
    - Space to screw my big parts drawers (2 of them) to.
    - Plenty of power outlets and good lighting
    - Space to hide the workbench PC (ITX) and amplifier (bottom right on the drawing above)
    - Shelving for the other half to keep her books and files on (she's a teacher)

OK. On to the more accurate drawings.

Carcass is built using sheets of veneered 10mm ply (I can get this cut to size at the timber merchants as I do not own a table saw).

Worktop is a standard 600mm kitchen worktop - 2m long.

Carcass (shelves and doors will be added when built):

[​IMG]

Cutting diagram to give to the timber merchants:

[​IMG]

It will be braced by 2x2 batons placed as follows:

- on each side under the top shelf
    - four in each of the bottom 'cupboard' section, as these must be rigid as they support the most weight.

The backing will just be a sheet of thin veneered hardboard, it does not act as a brace itself, the 10mm ply, worktop and shelf form the main structure.

Just thought I'd share this; I hope to go and get the wood cut this weekend (off to buy the worktop later this week), so will share my progress.