1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Converting to a VGA signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by supaste, 3 Oct 2010.

1. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

Is it possible to run a Componant or HDMI input into a VGA monitor? Bascially I'm looking to plug my xbox into this monitor which I rather stupidly bought which does not have HDMI slots nor is it HD enabled. I'm trying to find a converter cable to buy to do the job but I read somewhere that it's very difficult to convert a digital signal to an analog one without quite pricey equipment. Would something like this work - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=vga+to+component+female&cid=7093622705331766874&ei=Cr2nTOX_C6D6ygWevOmVBA&sa=title&ved=0CA8Q8wIwAjgA#p

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

3. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

Yeah that's the sort of this I was looking at before. The point I was getting at is does it work and if it does - does it work well. Just I was reading somewhere that It's a bit of scam and doesn't work properly.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I didn't think HDMI-> VGA would work because HDMI is a purely digital connection? You'd need some electronic method of converting the signals.

Component is a different matter, it's an analogue system so it shouldn't be a problem to convert to VGA. :)

In fact a quick google gives you something to start with.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You know there's an official VGA cable and plenty of knockoffs out especially for the xbawks?

6. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

OK so a vga cable for the xbox and a switch box sounds like it would do the job well however I've had a look at a few converters on Amazon just now - reviews report of serious ghosting issues.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

not sure it would pick up as a detected monitor by the xbox.. it could I'm not saying it won't just not sure- it might come up with something like analog monitor hopefully if they wrote that into the driver

like if you convert dvi to vga and then convert to vga to svga, I know this from experience.. it doesn't always work.. lemme look it up on google and see if I find anything

&edit http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=3563102695&ref=pd_sl_24ymennc45_b

8. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?