1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hackers target core net routers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 7 Feb 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

....funny it wasn't that long ago that i was talking about a way to 'take down the internet' that involved basically doing what this group of hackers did.

it would have worked what they did but only if they had kept it up to a point at which the DNS records held on the servers and ISP DNS servers lower started to become invalid so to speak (basically 24 hours old IIRC). Then they would have caused some good old fashioned vigalante mayhem but keeping up a DDoS of this severity for anything up to a day without being traced would be not exactly easy.

P.S. as it was said in the article, its not real hacking, hacking is finding and uncovering information that you weren't supposed to see or gaining access to a system purely to have a look around....this was a groups of randoms playing H4X0Rz

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Call them Crackers Then! Hackers try to make something do what it shouldn't do.

4. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

damn script kiddies, they should leave internet tubes alone :p

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Pfft - big deal. I downloaded the internets yesterday. Let them hack it -- I can always reload it...

6. randosome

randosome Banned

As far as my understanding went

Lets say i look up bit-tech.net - well firstly my PC would look at its DNS records, if it isn't there, it then goes to the next DNS server up (you Router ?) then if that doesn't have the DNS record, it would go up again (your ISP)

So technically, if you look at a site that almost no-one else has looked at, you could actually end up querying the root servers, but unlikely

now if the root servers did crash, then you would still have all those DNS caches all along the way, still unaffected - therefore you probably wouldn't notice, and the root DNS servers would come back up and everything would be OK

Now i think all those DNS caches do update every so often (depending on the TTL set on the domain)

7. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

thats exactly why you've got to keep the core routers down for an extended period because once the DNS records go out of date in all the lower DNS caches (which i believe would be about 24 hours until DNS records are invalid because of age) then they'd query the core routers for their routing tables and certain IP's in their DNS database but since the core routers would either be offline or just plain DoS'd then they wouldn't respond and no-one (apart from anyone who knows the IP of the sites they go on) would be able to do anything.....apart from the USA who can pull all the international lines and run on their own, again unless it was a DDoS in which case that may not help either because the attack would be coming form inside the USA as well.....but this is all hypothetical rambling, its not like i was actually going to try it :worried:

8. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Next time I know the internet is being hacked I'll know who to question. :p

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i noticed this...... the trucks were not fully loaded that day. :D

10. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I think it would take too much to take down the internets for too long, it probably made some people a little nervous though.

11. randosome

randosome Banned

even then, if the lower DNS servers don't get a response, their not exactly just going to throw out their DNS records are they ?

So what would have thought would happen is that some pages wouldn't work because the DNS would no longer have the right ip, but most of the Internet would still be fine
    Unless of course the core DNS servers were off for like a month, or a year
    For eg, a site like bit tech - i think they have probably only ever had 1 ip, unless it changes there shouldn't be a problem

Tags: Add Tags