1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Core i3 Clarkdale details leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

I keep delaying building a HTPC and I am now thinking it maybe worth holding out to see what these bring to the table. 103 euros seems like a decent price for the lowest end one.

Though I guess GPU performance will be the deciding factor.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I assume all of these are dual cores? Any idea if/when there will be any more quad core i5's?

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Doh!
    These parts will be a bit too late for the PC I'm building later this months. Shame.

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

This does look interesting. The thing going for AMD is the lack of new motherboard, ram needed for the upgrade.

However, if you are buying a new system it's looking like Intel for any build regardless of price.

Looks like Intel will recoup that money given to AMD a couple of weeks ago quite easily. What AMD are going to do I don't know, the only thing going for them at the moment is ATi but will that change as well early next year?

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Whats the difference between Level 1, 2 and 3 cached memory? I've never questioned it when it was just L1 and L2, but now L3 is in the tech specs I gotta know.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Please inform me better if i've missed the point (and i'm sure I have), but why do I want a CPU with intergrated GPU? Wouldn't upgrading gfx when needed, also mean replacing a CPU which is otherwise perfectly adequate. Or ending up buying a dedicated gfx card anyway. Is this just aimed at small HTPCs?

8. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

I feel like these chips are only going to be successful on paper and in reviews but not in sales, and in no way a nail in the coffin for AMD. OEMs are still trying to sell off their inventory of Core 2's as well as their inventory of Socket LGA775 mobos. Intel will be very much competing with itself before there's a huge threat to AMD.

Now, if zambezi and llano are flops in 2011, then AMD is going to have a problem.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because it means cheaper motherboards, less cooling issues because it only needs one large heatsink and OEMs love onboard graphics. Intel is the biggest graphics manufacturer in the world, thanks to its shitty IGPs.

You can buy one of these and plug in a graphics card like any normal motherboard and it disables the onboard.

L1 cache is tiny and is the fastest most needy place on the CPU pipeline. L2 cache is slightly bigger, slightly slower and holds more general data at the end of the pipeline. L3 cache is the slowest and holds more complete, but regularly accessed data from all cores, not just one. It stops other cores sniffing each other to see what they are doing: it's called a snoop-filter. Dual cores don't really need a L3 cache, but many-core CPUs do.

10. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

L1 is a tiny bit of on-chip superfast RAM (not really, i know) only one core has access to. L2 is somewhat bigger somewhat less fast RAM on the chip where both cores have acces to. and L3 is again bigger and again somewhat slower and buffers between the RAM (the sticks in your MB, not on-chip) and the L2, like the RAM buffers between the hard disk and the CPU.

somebody more hardware litterate: correct me if i'm wrong

EDIT: ah, ninja'd by bindi

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Thankyou Bindi

12. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Those are some pretty decent numbers, although I assume the GPU will be more or less useless for anything worth doing? I'm still not sold on the idea of a GPU in the same package as the CPU, as it can't be especially good to keep the heat down, which outweighs the advantages of bandwidth.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:thumb: no probs!

14. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

The lowest i3 is still to expensive... All I need is a cheap dual-core, a mobo, 4gb ram DDR and a GPU that has a HDMI connector.
    For example:

AMD X2 250 (2 core, maybe 3 core) -> 50€ (no need for more, the HD movies are played thru the onboard GPU), fresh cpu...
    Asus M4A785TD-V EVO -> 75€ (with HD4200, plays some games, and offloads the cpu with the HD acceleration for blu ray's)
    4Gb DDR3 -> 65€

Board + AMD cpu = 125€

- The lowest core i3 -> 103€.... without a mobo, the cheapest 1156 mobo I found was 110€, but the new i3 mobos come without a NB, just a SB, but even without the Northbridge I don't believe it will get as down as the 75€ AMD motherboard... Still too expensive for HTPC...

15. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Thanks Bindi & alpaca

16. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

The concept has been an interesting one ever since it first surfaced, which seems like far too long ago now.

AMD in trouble? Personally, I don't think so, Intel have never made any real progress in to the graphics market or given any of the real graphics card makers anything to worry about and this is no exception.

Clearly this is a niche product that will have a greater appeal in smaller more portable devices where power saving and less demanding graphic uses apply.

17. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'd like to see if VIA Nano could compete with i3 if it went dual-core. Imo, a dual-core nano with an onboard ATi 5-series GPU would be cool.

18. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

turbo? seriously? not had turbo for about 15 years lol

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

AMD/ATI is ruling on the GPU side, if they get (when?) on top again on the CPU side, watch out!

I would still like to see at least 3 more companies making X86 procs.

Not a fanboy, I just buy the best,
    Star¤Dagger

20. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

The whole idea intrigues me, some people aren't bothered about GPU performance and games. am sure this chip will be sold in alot of OEM systems were people just want a computer in the house, and at least when you get a motherboard with onboard GPU, you now get some choice in the GPU to go with that board.

Personally not for me but prefer to have seperate but we'll see how the future pans out on these

Tags: Add Tags