1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mafia 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Aug 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

yeah baby yeah! I've been waiting on this since GTA IV turned out to be such a bore, and the demo of this game gave me that awesome feeling that San ANdreas had back.

Plus, it works absolutely perfect with eyefinity. :D

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Hmmm... I've got this on pre-order. I think I'll stick with it, shame its not quite as amazing as we were all hoping for.

4. brokenthinker

brokenthinker What's a Dremel?

It doesn't sound as good as I hoped, but i'm still going to buy it.

<Mod Edited>

5. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

:O

BUM!

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've been told by a less than reputable source that you don't get much chance to free-roam the city during the day - If the demo is to be believed, you do get a call in the morning and that's it for the day - But I've not seen a reputable review mention this - Can anyone confirm/deny?

7. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Hmmm sounds like it's all about the pillow talk.... Call me baby, I'm in

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not sure what you're asking, really. You often get a call in the morning for the early portions of the game - "Hey, Vito, we got a job, meet me at the bar." type stuff - but IIRC you don't have to rush there. You can get involved in police chases ahead of that.

9. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

sooooo the main question is: is it better than the first one? i've played the first one so many times and been looking forward to sequel since then.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sorry, should have been more clear - I got told (and as much as I don't believe the person telling me, I like to be certain before I buy something), that there was very little opportunity to free-roam Empire City. I'm assuming, though, from your response that this is an outright fallacy, and there is indeed plenty of free-roam opportunities.

To be honest, I'd not be buying the game for the story as much as the fact that I enjoyed the shootouts with the police/guns available to the player - Free roam, as useless as it might be, is my prime interest in this game :D

11. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

I remember you guys gave a very favourable mention to this game a while back. Looks like it wasn't as good as you'd hoped. I never played the original, but I have played the demo of this one, and I can see what you mean about the total immersion in the 40's era middle-America. I dig it so far, but I might not if I wasn't a big Scorsese fan. The free-roam issue is a biggy, so far as replay value is concerned.

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Wanted at least an 8 game, hoped for a 9. Ow well, at least I cannot bin this like Farcry2, as I bought it on steam lolz :D

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Did the benchmarks take a back seat or did they get locked in the trunk with a spade?

14. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

Oh, come on. Realistic dialogue my tiny heiny. It's appalling.

It's like they got a classroom of chav 11 year old boys to re-write The Sopranos because there wasn't enough swearing or mentions of tits and blowjobs. It's embarrassingly try hard.

Good review, though you seem to have enjoyed the game a bit more than I am so far. I'm thinking 5-6 at the moment, but I haven't finished it yet.

@liratheal

You can free roam, but there's literally nothing to do. You can drive around the whole place from very early on, but there's zero reason to apart from to look around and fight passers-by.

15. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

2nd...So how does it compare to the first?

16. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

i'll let you know when i get it :) it's on my rental list, but long wait

17. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I can't believe it's been 8yrs since the original. I kind of figured it'd be an 7-8 rated game :( I just hope my steam preload is done by the time I get off work.

@Hexx: That's one reason I got rid of GameFly. Unless my rental list was open the day of the release, it took 2wk+ to get the game. Alan Wake was the longest wait for me. It took roughly a month to get it from GF.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

My personal highlight of this review, unfortunate as it is, was the Ross Noble link. :p

19. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

i'm with lovefilm - works well, i've got red dead redemption and i've received it few days after the release day.

if you wanna try it free for 2 monhts, here's a link with a staff code on it:

http://www.lovefilm.com/9pf6yhyd4/visitor/sign_up_1.html

the code itself is: 9pf6yhyd4

I rent most of the games at first, then i buy

20. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

oh sorry, just noticed, you're a PC gamer, there are no PC titles at lovefilm

Tags: Add Tags