1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My voltbus - 4 position fan controller with 7 seg voltage readout

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrSaLTy, 24 Jun 2004.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

2. MrSaLTy

MrSaLTy What's a Dremel?

I hear ya, but there wasn't enough room for that with the pots and switches etc and the goal was to get it all to fin in a 5 1/4 drive bay. The new ones I'm making that are for 1 channel in a drive bay don't look so busy. :D

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

Can we posibly have a tutorial for this because i want this and am a noob when it come to electronics :D

4. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

I don't normally waste peoples bandwidth with non useful posts... but you deserve a big thumbs up. That's a nice little unit... anytime spent making the PCB diagram, specs etc would be time well spent and your community would be forever in your debt. Or something like that ;)

5. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Very nice job. :thumb:

Just a suggestion: For all those wires you can cut up your old hardrive/optical drive cables to make it even cleaner but that is just me.

:clap:

6. princexxx

princexxx What's a Dremel?

That looks really good. I think the best way to learn about things like electronics is to take something like this project on board and work it out. Good work, looks really nice. You've done a very professional job there.

7. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Jesus christ. I would buy one of these in a second. Lets just say it cost $100. I'd pay that if I had the money.

8. MrSaLTy

MrSaLTy What's a Dremel?

More pics for your enjoyment :D

Just to give you an idea of how cramped it is up front, here is what the faceplate looks like from the inside with the displayed not installed yet. The switches, LED and pots take up almost all the space and when the displays are in its totally full.

[​IMG]

Case pics... FYI the friggin flash make the case look way lighter then it really is, and it washes out the displays a lot too. These are the best I could do at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More stuff later when i get the time....

Thanks for the comments guys! :thumb:

9. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Try this. Set your ISO to 100-200 and no flash, then prop your camera onto a solid object and set the timer and walk away. Perfect non-blured non-flash pictures every time.

10. MrSaLTy

MrSaLTy What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow and see how it goes... my camera isn't exactly new at this point but I'll try it out.

11. agent orange

agent orange What's a Dremel?

Dude, you seriously need to sell this design.... I don't think it looks too cluttered...

12. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

You did a damn good job on that rheobus thingy. Very clean and professional looking. I wouldn't be suprised if you were able to sell the design to some company.

Good job.

13. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

I second that, too bad we don't have a modder hall of fame; and lets see how fast some company comes out with something very similiar. If I were you I'd patent it so greedy companies cant make money out of your design. Oh, and impressive set up you got there.

14. IaKoVl

IaKoVl What's a Dremel?

Sweet PC man.
    i want to know only 2 things.
    1) how do u make the bubles in the tubes (cool effect).
    2) how did u made the 4*7segment voltmeter. can u plz tell me.

:wallbash: so cool :wallbash:
    u rock man :rock:

15. warmonger

warmonger What's a Dremel?

Very nice, high quality job! It looks down right perfesional :thumb:

16. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

I would take that design and sell it to a company. I would love to see that thing mass produced and it would be cool for you to put something in your pocket.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

omg you have more led's on the front of your case than is legal. I love it!! those tube thingers are awesome as well. That might be the single most cool 5.25" thing I've ever seen. Go get it patented and sell the design to Sunbeam, you'll make a fortune!

18. MrSaLTy

MrSaLTy What's a Dremel?

Again, thanks for the nice comments fellas. :D

Here is one more pic I tried with a longer exposure. This actually shows more of the true color of the case.

[​IMG]

19. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Holy Crap that amazing hats off to you man, if i wanted one made or wanted to make one myself how much would it cost? for like parts and everything? or even if you were to make one for me how much?

20. MrSaLTy

MrSaLTy What's a Dremel?

I haven't sat down and figured the cost actually, mostly because at this point, I really don't want to know. :eeek: I'm sure it was well over $100 US though. When I got the displays they were like $2.50 each and there are 16 of those. (although people now say .3" displays can be gotten for cheaper.) The switches were uber spendy too... Subminiture GOOD quality switches are friggin expensive. I think they were like $8.00 each.

But most importantly is the time it took to build. It took months to find parts that would fit in the space I needed and there was TONS of tiny soldering that needed to be done. The PCB wasn't too bad but the display board was a nightmare. A couple hundred solder points in the display alone in very cramped spacing plus over 100 crimppin connections takes way too long.

It would never be cost effective to make one for someone, not one this complicated anyways.