1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Orac³ - Part 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jun 2004.

1. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

Awesome... That just about covers it, well done.

Any chance you kept track of your total investment?

2. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

Fortunately the article just dropped off the bottom of the slashdot front page, and bit-tech seems oddly faster :p

Great job g-gnome, superb work and great attention to detail there. That's the cleanest looking jumble of wires I've ever seen :hehe:

I think I'm in a similar camp as some people here in that I'd probably not do the same thing or necesarily want it sitting on my desk, but I do want to take the same ammount of time, preperation, and dedication in any future mods I do on anything. You have certanly raised the bar for clear case designs in the future. Thanks for finishing it and sharing it with us, even if it meant the webserver was blasted from the ether for quite some time :p

3. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

well. i didnt wanna post and just be like all these other guys and say somthing like

Code:
    WIOAH MYA GOONDDESS! I CANT TYPE ASDFAST AS IJM READING THOIS!!!!11!!1!!!!! :wallbash: :eeek:  :o  :dremel:  :jawdrop:  
    so ill just say this.

i know that what youve done is simply incredible, ive shown at least 50 people already - and like a few of the others here ive been watching since day1. back then, it was just simply a forum post. i have a project in the works - and ive not been able to get to work on it simply because of my job - this project is getting me inspired to get it going and hopefully complete it.

thank you gnome.

4. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

G-gnome, that is the best modded case I have seen, PERIOD.

Good job.
    (Any plans for matching keyboard, mouse, etc...)

5. Rody

Rody What's a Dremel?

By far the best modding I have ever seen! Wish I had your talent and time to work on something as big as your case. Hope to see more from you. Good luck!

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Oh my goodness- you've got Zap's approval as the best mod ever?! Whoa!

7. C-DUB

C-DUB What's a Dremel?

After many months of lurking and watching the progress of G-gnome's beauty unfold, I finally signed up to the forum to say what a pleasure it has been to see it finally come together.

I can honestly say you've inspired me, as well as, I am sure, plenty of others here. Your level of precision and attention to detail is phenomenal. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

8. tad

tad What's a Dremel?

I've watched this great mod right from the start. Fantastic job. I think everyone appreciates the time and effort that went into it.

As an old 'Blakes 7' fan it was the ORAC name that originally caught my eye. For an idea what the original ORAC looked like see ....

http://other.many-paths.net/ships.htm

Good luck with the next one.

cheers tad.

9. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

did you read the posts at /. ? apart from getting completely derailed and talking about RF etc, most of them seemed to hate it or love it. why do people spend their time bitching* about something that has already happened and needn't have _any impact on their lives? also the people on /. seem obsessed with swearing and slaggin each other off.

(I am aware of the hypocrisy in me posting this)

* used as a verb so no censoring right?

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

welcome to the forums guys! :rock:

12. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Remind me never to attend a /. event, if there are any ;) man, some of those comments were classic!

'its not functional'
    'the RF, the RF!@#~!~'
    'watercooling is stupid, my koolance broke'

:hehe:

13. Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San What's a Dremel?

Oh u've never read slashdot comments before then? G-Gnome got let off lightly - I've been called a Nazi :( and seen 1500 comments go up on a Linux story within an hour of it being posted.

Atleast we know Bit-tech needs some redundent bandwidth - just in case I finish my Case mod and it gets /. effect ;)

14. asfd

asfd What's a Dremel?

Like everyone else I can only congratulate you for your excellent job on that project: very nice with a lot of attention to details... An awesome mod probably the best one I've ever seen... :jawdrop: :thumb: :jawdrop:

Extremely nice pics BTW

***Wish I had those modding and photo skills

15. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

Man i might have been the one who noticed that stuff that you were using to test fit the mobo cover, but i would have never guessed anything close to the sweet chrome cover that you had actually made. This case is just magnificent, it is by far the greatest case i have ever seen anywhere. I give you so many props G-Gnome, you have supreme skill and craftsmanship.
    -Vcdman

16. formfield

formfield What's a Dremel?

Damn there's a lot of people bitching about this and that on quite a few message boards about the Orac3.

"All he did was sleeve his wires in shower hose and screw on some green plexi"
    "Anybody could do the stuff he has done with this case mod"
    "This isn't even modding, it's case fabrication"
    "What's the point, where's the functionality of all that stuff?"
    "Too much time on your hands"

Blah blah blah. It's pretty rediculous.

What the hell is wrong with these people? I'm guessing that most of them haven't read more than 5% of the articles, so they just don't know what the hell they are talking about, and the ones that have read the articles are jealous of the work that's been done here.

Rather childish if you ask me.

G-Gnome, your work is amazingly original and creative, and that is a beautiful piece of art.

Adam

17. nizon

nizon What's a Dremel?

One word: Wow.

One request: Lets see some shots with the lights off, I would love to see the finished case in the dark

18. Alienhead

Alienhead What's a Dremel?

I really like the shower hose idea. It looks like one of the sentinals from The Matrix.

I hadn't thought about wraping each individual cable, I usualy just bunch em together. Now I need to go find some cool cable covers like those.

19. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Could you make a couple of wallpapers from each side of the case (top, bottom, sides, front and rear) :confused:
    I would like to take a closer look at the cabling in the case.

20. the.nth.degree

the.nth.degree What's a Dremel?

i wasn't able to post yesterday cuz there was so much traffic :D

really a marvel, both technically and aesthetically. luv the look of the shower tubing (with any luck we'll soon see similar tubing actually manufactured for watercooling), and u can never go wrong with neon acrylic and chrome :rock: . as impressed with the look of the finished product as i was, i think i may have been more impressed with the technical side of things. maybe it's secondary to others, but i was very impressed with the planning, design, fabrication, and wiring of it all. i was wondering tho, does that tube in the back serve any purpose other than just lookin kewl (and it does). do those wires just terminate there or does it serve as a junction and if so where do the wires then lead? i too was a bit disappointed u scrapped the leds but it hardly detracts from the case. hat's off, d00d

Tags: Add Tags