1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pheonix jumps into HyperSpace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 6 Nov 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Just wondered what is it that "You'd be able to your hard drive before even getting into Windows".

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I believe that's a typo :p

Anyways, boot times mean a lot less to me than they used to, alongside raw clock speed and synthetic benchmark results. Perhaps I've lost touch with my enthusiast ways, but I'd rather have something that's stable and reliable than tweaking out every last ounce of performance only to find out that my stability test wasn't quite as comprehensive as I'd thought during the middle of some important work. How often do I reboot, anyways? Once a month, maybe, and I can always find something to do for that minute or so while it's doing its thing. If that doubled boot time means that everything else runs smoother and more reliably in the area where I spend 99.999% of my computing time, fine by me.

4. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons What's a Dremel?

I switched my pc off every night, so boot-times were fairly important to me. Getting into Windows wasn't the major irritation, it was waiting whilst CCC, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Steam all started up... before then I couldn't access the browser - if that's what I wanted to do, and I was in a hurry, it felt like a long time to wait.

But last night I discovered the joys of 'Hibernate' mode (oh, and PSShutdown to help make a desktop shortcut for it). Now I can send my pc into a coma almost instantly with Ctrl-Alt-H, but re-awaken it at the touch of the power button - I'm back to a working desktop in 10 seconds (assuming I didn't have many apps active when I sent it to sleep). And the power draw is low enough (allegedly) that I can happily leave it in this mode for days. That job's a good 'un!

Unless I come across major problems with Hibernate, it rather supplants the need for anything like HyperSpace, good idea though it is.

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

lol, Pheonix.

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I hate to defend MS but my one Vista machine is also my media center and it comes out of "sleep" (all drives, fans, etc off) almost instantly. The only thing is that it gets very sluggish if I don't reboot at least once a week.

7. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

To reiterate the article: fast mediaplayer with no fuss.. i love it.

8. pejcaofrito

pejcaofrito What's a Dremel?

So, Is this related to EFI in any way?

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

One thing that wasn't emphasized is that Windows can boot, whilst using this. So you can check your e-mails while waiting for windows to boot. Brilliant :thumb:

10. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Awesome. I was going to ask if HyperSpace had this feature. I'm surprised Bindi didn't mention it.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hopefully, although Vista still currently doesn't support it.

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> You'd be able to scan your hard drive before even getting into Windows, and keeping it outside of
    > Windows means that malware can't attack the virus scanner itself (as so many like to do).

But there's no reliable NTFS write driver for any OS other than Windows.

> However, those looking to customise it at home will probably be out of luck, as Phoenix plans on
    > keeping the updates to HyperSpace close to home on secure servers rather than have people play
    > around with it.

Not if it actually is Linux, they can't - large bits of it will be opensource. Not, as always, that this is actually much use to the vast majority.

Phil

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

True on the NTFS part - I'd forgotten about that, but it would be a better use of A/V.

However even if it is Linux and open - getting to it could be an issue if Phoenix only allows updating via a secure server? I'd still like there to be a big development community behind it :blush:

14. pejcaofrito

pejcaofrito What's a Dremel?

NTFS3g looks quite good: http://swik.net/ntfs3g
    Ubuntu currently implements it, and IIRC you can even install ubuntu itself over a NTFS partition.

Cheers!

Tags: Add Tags