1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Graffiti | Completed June 27

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Geqxon, 27 Mar 2004.

1. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

I bougth the hardware in November, and my parents kept whining that I didn't use this stuff, so I picked up the project again :)

The idea
    Lets start with the main goal: Make a "dope" pc casing to play divx on the pc. And have to be portable to hide in the closet. And housewife friendly. First I tryed a aluminium dj-suitcase. To much used (you can see it in some of the pictures). After that, I found this cool graffiti plate that a friend of my brother made in 1999:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I dont have robotic legs, thats a camera tripod ;)

I was thinking of making a wooden box with this graffiti tag (triplex), so the tag is all over the box :lol:

The stuffs
    Optical, Motherboard + PSU and HDD
    [​IMG]
    Optical: 52x samsung cdrom drive
    Motherboard: Compaq with P3 550mhz CPU, Ati Radeon 7000 for the TV-Out. No ethernet because of IRQ Problems.
    PSU: Again Compaq
    HDD: Western Digital 80gb

Audio-Video cabeling
    [​IMG]
    I only wanted the input/output plugs I needed, so it was housewife friendly. I solderded a 10pins tv-out plug to a composite plug, and a 3.5mm jackplug to a red/white audio plug, in order to hide only have 3 cables, audio/video cable and a power plug. I am also making a design so you can still acces the rest of the mother I/O plugs

Remote and Powerleds
    [​IMG]
    These stuff will be placed in the front of the case, behind a black plexiglass plate (wich will be 2" by 2"). Forgot the place the remote on the picture, but I have it somewhere.

The prototype
    [​IMG]
    The case is on his side on this picture, but you have to picture it standing.
    [​IMG]
    What you see in the pink circle is the only thing you'll be seeing at the back of the box.
    This all is gonna be fitted in this box:
    [​IMG]
    This is the box in carton. The cd-rom will be placed inside, and in this picture it just sits on top for size-comparisation.

The name
    At the moment I dont have a name next to something like "Media-PC" or "Graffiti". Does anybody have a good name, like graffiti in latin?

Wish me luck :)

Last edited: 27 Jun 2004
  2. curme

curme Minimodder

HERE is an interesting page on the origins of graffiti, pretty interesting. And pretty interesting case! Can't wait to see what happens, good luck!

3. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Thats an intresting page you got there :). But should I make the graffiti so the side goes througth in the top, or should I make 5 sepparet styles, one for every side?

4. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Nice ideas for the case. I'm studying latin at the moment at school so if you'd like any help with translating a name into latin then give me an email.

ferox65@msn.com

:thumb:

-Nathan

5. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

You've got mail :)

[​IMG]
    Sawing through 25mm thick wood aint fun. I am gonna try to do it the electrical way :dremel:

Last edited: 28 Mar 2004
  6. Nath

I'm looking for a good title as i'm typing this so ill update this post soon with some names

7. coorz

coorz Miffed

Aah, graffiti one of my first loves...remember Subway Art, SEEN...
    Interesting to see how this one turns out :thumb:

8. Nath

OK I've had a look if I can find anything remotely related but obviously because latin's a dead language there's nothing about electronics. I'll have another look right now and see if i can find something to do with graffiti because i'm sure there's a word for it.
    Thanks for the patience! :thumb:
    -Nathan

9. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

jus a lil note
    "whack" means crap lol :hehe:

10. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Thanks Nathan :) Great proces :thumb:

Crap. I thougth whack meant something like cool :D Stupid little dutchboy.
    I just got the idea for adding some nice NYC street culture stuff in it, or some "police line / crime scene do not cross" marks :D

11. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Hey im from NY city. So what there are more murders than parking tickets here and muggers have more rites than victms and ppl are on permanent pms. :hehe:

But seriosly Wack does mean bad, crap, no good, POS, etc etc. LOL

12. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Got some stuff
    [​IMG]
    Some pre-sawed wood
    [​IMG]
    Nice firmly handle you got there ;) 17cm wide :jawdrop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How its looking attached to the hardware :)

You migth ask yourself why the IO ports and the PSU arn't at the end of MDF plate. Well, I am gonna make 2 backs. One back with all the normal IO ports, and 1 back with al my custom audio/video port ;)

13. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

....where will that grafitti come in.........

14. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

sorry couldnt resist showing you my divx box. I too wanted the same things you did and did something almost identical (well to your first idea of dj suitcase.
    [​IMG]

yours is turning out quite nice. Just make sure it gets good airflow, otherwise your divx will start running choppy.

JEEVES

15. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

The graffiti will come next, it will cover that MDF plate :)

Nice suitecase you got there, although yours a little big bigger and not anymore a challange ;) J/K High blingbling case you got there :).

16. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    The clock on the front is nice, its a LCD clock with no background, meaning it will have graffiti on the back of the display :D

17. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

dude. that clock is SCREAMING for a LED. go buy some www.lsdiodes.com and put on behind it. wow. i want it!

18. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Well, I am putting the power/hdd led behind it, and the 3 keyboard leds. Is this enough???

I also have a nice ledfan wich I may put behind it :thumb:

19. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Have you drawn up any ideas for the Theme behind your Graffiti for this case?

Pretty cool and artistic idea!! :thumb:

20. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

I have small ideas, like the clock being a fanguard, and the double back, stealthing and so, but I dont have any ideas next to that :)

I want to add stuff like "police line do not cross" lines all over it, but that would make it all look messy :(.

[​IMG]
    Nice clock with a 60w lamp glowing behind it :)