1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS Vita specifications revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. oblivion181

oblivion181 What's a Dremel?

So according to the operating temps I cant take this on holiday anywhere hot or it won't work. Come to think of it if we have a heat wave in England it won't work either.

Interesting

3. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Haha, this just reminds me of the Sega Game Gear and Atari Lynx - all specs over practicality. I'd like to say that the Nintendo 3DS will give it a run for its money, but its rubbish games catalogue just means it won't. Sad days for handheld gaming, especially if you're not into most of the rubbish that gets put onto smartphones.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't use it in Winter either if we have another cold one.

5. oblivion181

oblivion181 What's a Dremel?

A very good point that I had not thought of (I focused on the heat aspect because I just got back from holiday where if was 40 + for 3 days running and 36+ the rest of the time)

6. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Doesn't mean you can't use it, just that the optimal temperature is a little lower. Which is kinda normal for electronic appliances.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I have to say I'm very impressed for a few reasons:

I would have thought Sony would push to use a fast dual core than four slow ones, but still I'm interested to see where they got a quad A9 from. I don't expect Sony engineers to magically be able to create ARM stuff in a year.

That 543MP4 will be 2x as powerful as an iPad 2 which already rinses most smartphones in benchmarks, yet it has to render roughly the same pixel count. This is YET ANOTHER endorsement for the PowerVR Tile-Rendering which is quickly becoming the norm for mobile gaming - so developers will have to optimize game engines for this rendering method. I wonder how this will split the gaming industry as mobile gaming starts earning more and more money...

OLED display! Very sexy! But I want to know what type of AMOLED.

I hope the battery is replaceable too...

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I want one purely for the OLED display (it would make a great video machine)

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks nice, is PSP v3.0 finally man enough for a PS2 emulator though? Only then will it be truly excellent.

10. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

This is pretty nice, I'm playing a lot with my iPad and phone, and I can appreciate the concept of physical controls this device would bring to the table.

However, most games on my mobile devices cost a few EUR tops, so If Sony is planning to sell 30-50 EUR games to a handheld device.... It's gonna fail even harder than current PSN have. Anyone heard whether there's any info on upcoming pricing model?

11. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Well, I really have to think about this now.

Do I really want a unit that takes nearly the same amount of time to charge, as I can play it. The tech specs are pretty awesome, but it makes portability play of this unit somewhat less impressive than I had hoped for.

12. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

wow this sounds awful

13. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Only 128 VRAM?

14. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

More than enough for a handheld. textures really don't need to be that high res.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Its the need for a sim card for 3G that pisses me off, especially with the patchy-ness outside the city of coverage plus the ridiculous pricing.

16. Kyser Soze

Kyser Soze played by Kevin Spacey

Hi there - I'm a PSP developer (amongst other platforms) so I'm pretty interested in the specifications. Obviously we've had this info for a while and I'm looking forward to playing with our shiny new dev kit. 128 meg of vram is chuffing loads - I have 2Mb on the psp :)

Its plenty of space to fit a lot of texture data - PC cards rarely use their full 1 or 2 gig of vram on most games, unless they go to very high screen modes, in which case double/triple buffering uses up a lot of that. That won't be such a problem with the vita's screen res. Trust me, it will be plenty :). Half a gig of actual ram is lots too - especially as the vita won't be hosting an operating system as complex as windows or even iOS in some of that space.

17. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Apple also says not to store an iPad in temperatures over 45C and I've done that a few times when I had to leave it in my car (even in the trunk, in the sun when it is 38C out, it is easily over 45C in the trunk).

Basically it is just the range that it is guaranteed to work and/or not cause any kind of damage or (likely) thermal throttling. I wouldn't suggest running it when it is 40C out with some hardcore game standing in the sun. Probably will get thermal throttling or shutdown then. I haven't seen anything with an "on" operating temperature range much above 35C (the iPads rated top temperature, though it is rated down to 0C, take that Vita!).

18. rollo

rollo Modder

5 to 35c is normal for nearly all technology items

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

but its made by Sony so even though other devices have the same temperature range its not acceptable on this one. :wallbash:

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Want.

Ok, the battery isn't stellar, but that's how handhelds have gone now (see the DS's ever-decreasing play times as a prime example). Yet Sony have stuffed an absolute power house in there, rather than using gimmicky 3D with crap graphics.

Tags: Add Tags