1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PSU Group Test: 500W, 600W, 700W, 850W

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 14 Sep 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

could you tell me how? they're all sourced from the same transformer..

3. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Darn it :(
    I am waiting for someone to topple the crown of the BeQuiet 650w. I really want this PSU, but am struggling to afford £20 per 100w.
    PSU's seem one area in which the prices are going UP faster than inflation.
    My current PSU (Hiper 580w Type-R - which I have never had a problem with despite so-so reviews) cost less than £10 per 100w less than 3 years ago.

Come on PSU manufacturers, give us a quiet, stable, cool PSU with oodles of spare power, modular cables and all in a nicely priced package! (Guess I AM asking for the impossible!)

4. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Corsair HX-850 Cheesecake!... I read a review somewhere that they stretched it to 1064w and she didn't break... great PSU...

5. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

But at what temperature? PSUs lose the ability to output higher wattages as the internal components get hotter - Corsair rates its PSUs at 50C to give them decent tolerance, so possibly if the test room was 15C or something, the HX850 could output more than its rated wattage. Put it in a hot case though, and the maximum output will be more like the quoted 850W.

Just worth bearing this in mind if you're building a PC - don't assume that you can get a cheaper, low-wattage unit an 'over-watt' it! :D

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Cosair still seem to be producing brilliant PSUs, frankly I won't bother with PSU reviews unless something drastic changes, u simply cant go wrong with what COSAIR offer at the moment....just pick the right power range and your away.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

My HX1000 is perfect. Really can not fault it.

8. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

For what I saw... HX-850 is better... cooler, and efficient... stable... :) Can't put the link here, sorry :)

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I used to run 600w on my main.. but last year got a really good deal on a corsair tx850 single rail- the higher wattage is there if you need it, as long as you load it a bit- you'll run in the optimum range and get the best efficiency

that's why I think going higher than what you need is the best case scenario.. if you get a ps that's just enough to cover what you have running, it will have high heat, lower efficiency, need more fan

on the other end.. if you go too high, like 1000 watts and only running a emachine.. the ripple is worse

10. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I've been using a corsair tx650 for most of a year now. It's very similar in many respects to the 850 model, but it's definitely not noisy (pushes out hot air, though). I'd definitely recommend it if 850W isn't required and you can fit all those cables in your case.

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

as its what i can realy only get on my list i use thermaltake thoughpower PSUs (min is 750w they start from purepower is below that) never realy had an problem with them i had 1-2 1000w PSUs powering 3x9800GX2 (folding) as it has native 6PCI-e power connectors and the 1500w one is perfect for 4GPU systems as that has 8PCI-e power, i would like to see some of thermal take lower end PSUs reviewed

i nom get 500w cheap octigen (most likey blow up at 300w load ) but they do as replacemets as most of them norm pull max 100-150W in the systems

and for better tests realy you should of been doing 75% load tests as well or something like HardOCP PSU tests

12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Earlier this year I bought a Be Quiet DarkPower Pro 750W... a little on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for. I'm just hoping these tests vindicate my purchase....

13. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I love all my Corsair PSUs. Never had a problem with any of them (knock on wood.).

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I have the Nexus NX-8060 in my brothers rig and it is simply amazing, silent, clean, just works. Certainly would recommend that PSU for people needing a PSU in that power range.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Be Quiet Dark Power Pros Cheesecake. In my experience no other range comes close for stability, build and quietness.

16. -Acid-

-Acid- What's a Dremel?

Suprised that the Enermax Revolution 85+ 850w+ isn't here seeing that at the minute it curently is the best power supply doing the rounds with 91% efficienty.

I see you reviewed the 950w version and loved it

I,m looking for a new psu as my last one died, dammed 2900xt's suck loads of juice at 1.35v core each.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pretty much the same thing to be honest. 850.. 950..

Tags: Add Tags