1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's, "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 2 Jun 2007.

1. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

BLACKOUT

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More to come,... soon to be complete.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2007
  2. tribaloverkill

WOW,... first update on this project in a LOOOONG time. Well,.... here it is! I remade the HDD rack because the last one flat out sucked. Seriously. The new one is soooo much better. Check it out...

feb-18-2006

My new HDD rack, the aluminum I plan on using that is. It's cut and filed to size and taped off for drawing the design out.
    [​IMG]

Started drawing out the design. Making the the lines for where the HDD mounting holes are going to to be are right on, which they are:)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't know how well you can see this design but it looks easy enough:) Right,...
    [​IMG]

Definitely recommend penciling out the areas that you will be cuttingt out. With all the lines down on the aluminum it gets confusing as hell.
    [​IMG]

Using a razor I cut out all the tape I dont need. The tape I dont need is covering the areas I will be cutting out. This makes it very easy to see where I am cutting when using the scroll saw. When cutting for so long using the scroll saw,... you begin seeing ****. Well not really but you do have trouble paying attention to where your cutting. Scracthes on the aluminum begin looking like the lines your are following.
    [​IMG]

Fresh out of the scroll saw. Doesnt even look like it needes filing. Surgeon's hands. Excuse me while I go pull out an insurance policy for them,...
    [​IMG]

Filed clean and center punched,... ready for drilling.
    [​IMG]

Drilled. I drill 4 of the holes to the wrong size. To big. Its the rack's mounting holes. I hve to go get some bigger rivets to mount this now:( I like my litte 1/8" rivets.
    [​IMG]

Now,... I used the bending brake to bend this rack. Sad to say I thought it would of done a better job. The aluminum is thicker then it can really handle but yea,... still a cool piece of tool.
    [​IMG]

Hi,........... you. What thaaaaaaaaa?
    [​IMG]

What the hell did you do to your face! And you crotch! Dog? The cute little white one? AWWWWWWW. I'm going to let her chew on you some more so I can watch. Now get out of the way,... your ugly.
    [​IMG]

Had to use the good ole vise to finalize my bends.
    [​IMG]

Perfect!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

NIIIIIICE.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

120mm fan soon to be. Have to figure out how I'm going ot get it on but I think I have an idea.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All 3 racks. First one of obviously the newest one, the next is my old, and the last is a lian-li rack. MINE IS BETTER! LIAN-LI,... you ain't got S@#$ on me:)
    [​IMG]

Sanded it down nice and clean,... ready for polishing?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Whoo tribaloverkill is back! I can continue being amazed by the build quality..

4. tribaloverkill

5. tribaloverkill

Actual HDD rack is done. Now time for all the accessories.

Feb-22-2006

HDD rack chromed out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. tribaloverkill

Here's an update for you guyz. Haven't been able to get much work done lately but I am trying. I am going to try and work early today, if they dont need me I will continue what I am doing here. If they do and im not to tired in the morning after work I will continue. To the pics,...

Mar-13-2006

Ok,... have to figure out exactly how much space I have to work with on the front of the HDD shield. So I will try on a piece of scrap. The space I need to figure out is the space in between the bends.
    [​IMG]

The piece that is already bent I bent the old way, one bend at a time, measuring before each bend. The new piece which is laid out flat will be measured all at once and then bent later after all the detail and stuff has been cut out. I have to make sure that the measuring is right so that its not to tall or short once done.
    [​IMG]

Now the formula is as follows,... absolute height - pipe diameter - 1/8" = front surface area. The 1/8 inch is actaully 1/6" x 2. Thast 1/16" for each bend. The 1/16" is for the stretching of the aluminum and whatever else is going on that I amnot aware. If you dont subtract that factor,... your piece will be taller then you think.
    [​IMG]

The two outer lines,... is the absolute height which in this case would be 4". The two inner lines are the bend lines which I got by subtracting the pipes radius + 1/16" from each line. So thats in all would be the absolute height - pipe diameter - 1/8". Understand?
    [​IMG]

Here we go,... bending.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bent.
    [​IMG]

Perfect.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Forgive me for jumping ahead but you guyz know whats envolved with drawing and cutting out the tape. Here the shield was scroll sawed. Now Im going to file and drill.
    [​IMG]

Drilling,...
    [​IMG]

Drilled. I drilled these holes up to 1/2". Thats the biggest bit I got. I need beigger to get the hose through the holes. I am goign to file bigger. I dont feel like spending 15 bucks for a larger bit.
    [​IMG]

Filed.
    [​IMG]

Ok,... by the time it took me to write this out, I decided that I am not going to work early. I am going ot finish this up. I am going ot work early tomorrow though. Anyways,... i'll try and post an update before I go to work tonight at 11pm. Peace.

7. tribaloverkill

Just going to make this little update for Mar-14-2006 to avoid complications on my side,...

Mar-14-2006

So,... I F@#$ed up. SHOOT ME! I started a new HDD front shield. I already mentioned this mistake in one of my other worklogs. I said the reason was because of the fact that I measure starting at the 1" mark on my ruler and just never subtracted that extra 1". That is NOT the reason for my mistake. The mistake is within the formula I gave you guyz,... The real formual is absolute height - (pipe diameter x 2) - 1/8". I was subtracting the pipes radius from both sides when it should of been the pipes diameter. OH WELL! So,... I made it up to center punching:) All I have to do now is scroll saw out all those designs again:) YEA!!!! I changed the design around a bit too. Actually,... not much but I added some support things for the longer grooves. Was having trouble with them when bending. This will strengthen the piece very much. Theres the old piece in the picture.
    [​IMG]

8. tribaloverkill

Ok,... I didn't go to go early today so I slept and got up early to do some work, not alot but some.

Mar-15-2006

Here's the new HDD front shield. Noticed that the design is pretty much the same except for the little "things", bars, whatever, attaching the horizontal sssslats,... LOL, you know, as I type these worklogs out I never think ahead when it comes to naming "stuff" to help describe what I am trying to explain,... I guess I am assuming that I dont have to, that there are names for evreything already! Not. I love it, trying to name "stuff" on-the-fly while being pressed for time,... quite annoying really. You ever see the movie Kung Pow? Where he was making up words that combine two things such as bad wrong, Badong. LOL. Everytime I go anme something I think of that. LOL. ANYWAYS! You see the BADONGS attaching the horizontal garnardabs? Do you think the ones on the right should go all the way up of should the center where the hose holes are, should be free of them? The top and bottom horizontal ganardabs are longer then the ones in the center, thats why they have the badongs there, to help support them. I thought it looked kind of cool having the badongs on the right go all the way up. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

9. tribaloverkill

I have a new design I want you guyz to check out before I cut this. I like it. But let me know if you think I should add anything to it. Also,... some pics of the last shield I F'ed up.

Mar-23-2006

Last shield I F'ed up,... Looks cool:)
    [​IMG]

Here the newest one. I was working on it yesterday. Thinking about going with a new design this time.
    [​IMG]

Heres the first two I messed up. They are all mangled because I was trying some stuff out with them. I want the bedns to have a larger radius. Makes the shiled look less boxy.
    [​IMG]

Heres the new design. Its not super accurate but its to the point. Compare it to the pic of the newest shield. Let me know what you think. You think I should add and remove anything? Let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to eat before I get started so you guyz have a half and hour to leave your opinions before I get started. So hurry up!

10. tribaloverkill

Got it! I love it! I know I said I loved the others but this one is it! Tell me what you think!
    [​IMG]

11. tribaloverkill

Update.

Mar-29-2006

Here I just got done drilling the large holes. I cut the tape away to expose the design. I have to center punch and drill out the design now.
    [​IMG]

I just got done cutting out the designing using the scroll saw. It has not yet been filed down. Im goign to do that another day because I have to get some sleep. I love this blue tape Im using. It's painters tape. You guyz know that. Well,... after having it clamped down, soaked in oil, drilled, soaked in some more oil, ran through the scroll saw for about 45 mintues,... it's still on! The true test was when I went to wash off all the oil and stuff in the sink with soapy hot water,... still on! Great stuff.
    [​IMG]

Instead of filing away the end of my day,... I set up a preview for you guyz,...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I used an already made sheet of frosted UV green acrylic. The piece im using is for one of the 5.25" bay covers.
    [​IMG]

What it would look like in aluminum, unpolished.
    [​IMG]

Maybe tomorrow I will start filing and bending. Notice there are no tabs to mount it. I am goign to make separate tabs that will bolt to it. Will look much much cleaner from the front. Also,.. the 3 holes inbetween the large holes are for mounting the tabs for the side now:( Forgot to plan for the tabs. Oh well. plus I have a cool idea of keeping the hose inside the holes when its all done.

12. tribaloverkill

Here's a little update. I did some work today. I am going to work on this all day tomorrow when I get home too.

Apr-09-2006

These are the mounting brackets for the HDD shield. The only shields had the tabs that I bent over. I didnt like that because you could see the bent tabs from the front. these are stealthed so you cant see them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. tribaloverkill

Ok,... here's a nice update for you guyz.

Apr-10-2006

By request,... I took more pictures of the mounting brackets, closer pictures. As you can see the tabs were bent. If you noticed I recessed the tabs from the egde too. I did this by moving the tabs bend lines back 1/16" from the edge. The reason behind this is because when its mounted it will be flush with the egde of HDD shield.

FIRE!! FIRE!! YEA! KICK AZZ!! This time around I decided to use fire. It worked so well!!! Should of use it the first couple of times!!! But then again if I did I wouldnt be using the design I have now,... oh well. Funny how things work out. Anyways,... I heated the aluminum so it was real hot and and it also felt tacky, weird. But it was so soft. Very easy to bend.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bending done! Yo,... it came out perfect! Amazing how I totally F'ed the first two and then on the third try its flawless.

It is EXACTLY 1/16" taller then the HDD rack. CUTTING HAIRS, I SWEAR!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All polished. I need to do some more polishing to it but for now its ok.

Some chrome hose for you,... just to get an idea as to what its going to look like. People keep asking about the large holes. Here you go.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Behind the shield. Now,... in between the shield and the mounting brackets is going to be the UV green. The UV green is going to be sandwiched between the two. I'll make the Uv green on wednesday, if im not to tired.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So yea. I have bee kicking around a knew alias for myself,... a more personal one. I still refer to myself as tribaloverkill, but I will alos be using "C.V.R.:IV" or just "CVRIV". Basically,... its my initials. I might use it to brand some of my stuff along with tribaloverkill. Wednesday.

14. tribaloverkill

VERY COOL UPDATE!!! The HDD FRONT SHIELD IS DONE!!!

Apr-14-2006

TIME FOR THE UV INSERT!!! I'm going to heat this bad boy and press it inside the HDD shield without bending the HDD shield.
    [​IMG]

As I'm heating it, it begins to bend or warp. This is because it friggin hot! It's getting soft now.
    [​IMG]

I forgot to take a picture of it but you see the wood? Once I had this acrylic pushed down inside the shield. I had to clamp that board on top of the acrylic in the very center of the shield. REason being that the acrylic in the very center was bending upward as I held the side down. Once I had the center held down it was really easy. As you see it is VERY snug. More snug then I thought I would be able to acheive. Yay for me:)
    [​IMG]

As you can see it alot bigger all the way around then the HDD shield. I was going to break out the router and do the whole ruler-ruler thing but I thought nah. Waiste of time.
    [​IMG]

Look how perfect that is! Damn im good. Anyyyyyymays.
    [​IMG]

So what I did instead was mark the outline for the shield using a razor,...
    [​IMG]

See the ouline? I took it to the table sander! What a friggin mess but it got the job done and done quick! What a mess! <----- I know. I said that already. Thats how messy it really was.
    [​IMG]

Done! Ground down to size. Perfect! It's still not completely finished,...
    [​IMG]

As you can see I drilled the holes for the mounting brackets. Very nice.
    [​IMG]

Larger holes cut out! I used a really small bit to drill pilot holes and then used a 3/8 acrylic ground bit to cut away the most of it. I could of used a bigger bit but I was uncomfortable with that idea. I would risk htting the aluminum and cracking the acrylic. So I used a coarse file and sand paper the rest of the way.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Diffused. I took it down to 400grit. Very nice.
    [​IMG]

Done.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The back looks cool with the mounting hardware in place.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lights on.

In front of the HDD rack.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you think? Well,... the day is young here so I think I will get started on the side shields. they should be alot easier seeing there is no bending required.

15. tribaloverkill

Ok,... mockup time! I don't really need opinions as to whether I should go with this design because I decided to go for it:) But I still want to know what you think:) Check it out.

Apr-19-2006

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you think? At this point I am pretty sure that I will have to go back and add a little flavor to some of the older pieces that "were" done. That would be the two 5.25" bay covers? I think thats it? I can't touch the VFD one until the buttons are installed. The LED one,... I can do at anytime. The little window thing in the LED cover, thats begining to bother me. I have been trying to use the window design somewhere else throughout this case and so far nada:)

Ok,... here I have it all drawn out on the taped sheet of aluminum.
    [​IMG]

Here I cut away all the tape that doesnt need to be there,...
    [​IMG]

SPACE INVADERS!!!
    [​IMG]

LOL,... If I remember correctly, they look something like that. Weird. Last night at work it started off looking like a piece of toast, as a good friend had stated ever so kindly. Now,... it's a Spacer Invader. LOL. Anyways,... found a couple of flaws. One I had corrected already and I am not even going to share with you what is because it's,... stupid and pointless. The other,... I will share because I need to F@#$ING know how the UV backing is going to hold itself together with all those 1/8",................ whizzywackerwoonies!!! It's going to be fragile as hell. What I'm going to do it make little UV green 1/8" support whizzywackerwoonies. I'll glue them on top of the 1/8" whizzywackerwoonies of the UV backing using the weld-on #4, making the 1/8" whizzywackerwoonies 1/4" whizzywackerwoonies:) I'll the the support ones a bit longer for the added support. You'll see,...

16. tribaloverkill

Update. Phew. This one was tiring as hell. Lots of scroll sawing, filing, sanding,... and then I had to do it all again with teh the UV equivalent!

Apr-24-2006

Skipping around,... all taped and cut. Ready to be filed.
    [​IMG]

Did some polishing,... needs more.
    [​IMG]

More skipping around,... UV equivalent. I left out some of the design when making the UV equivalent because it has no purpose and and the chances of it breaking would be higher do to all the fine work.
    [​IMG]

Did a little bit more polishing, still needs some more. I think I have to get a new wheel or something. It's leaving wipe marks. It looks cool.
    [​IMG]

The two pieces together. They are not bolted together, didnt have time to do that.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lit up.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here the side shield on the HDD rack.
    [​IMG]

From the side, you see the grooves? So it can breath easily:)
    [​IMG]

Another shot. This is not how its bolted down, I mean it is but I didnt get to doing it right yet. Later on I will tackle that.
    [​IMG]

A couple more shots,...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lit up. I am probably going to install some leds from either the rear or from below or maybe both.

Till the next update:)

17. tribaloverkill

Tiny update.

Apr-25-2006

Cleaned my buffing wheel! Didnt use a brick either:) I used a RAZOR! MUH HA HA HA!!!
    [​IMG]

Look how clean! I cut that **** right off! It was pretty cool, messy, but cool:) Quick too:)
    [​IMG]

This is how I did it. I rested my hand on a piece of wood and turned it on. After it was spinning full force,... I slowly touched the wheel just a bit past the crap I was trying to get rid of. The razor literally cut it off. Stuff flying all over the place. Easy.
    [​IMG]

All the crap that came off or got cut off:)
    [​IMG]

After buffing with the new surface of the wheel. You can see some scratching there,... thats mostly from drying off the piece with a paper towel. so abrasive:( Oh weel,... with does really bother me all that much. It looks better then before.
    [​IMG]

Other then the wheel,... the only other thing I got down was installing the mounting threadserts for the front panel. Looks sharp,... let me tell you. Nice.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have to work some double shifts this week so I most likely wont be able to get anything down this week. Maybe on saturday I will be able too. I might try and squeeze some work in this week. We'll see what happens.

18. tribaloverkill

I finished mounting the first side and I attatched the front shield to that side. Flawless.

Apr-27-2006

A side shot. Polished nicely but still needs more:)
    [​IMG]

HEEEEEELP!!! Traped within my work. Reminds me of the superman movie with the three villains trapped in the mirror.
    [​IMG]

Boink.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nylon spacers. BA BLAM!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

CRASH!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Inside the case. Ha Ha HA HACHOOOOO!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bless you.

Thanks.

Anytime.

:)

19. tribaloverkill

Check it out! It's the update that was held hostage by some blown computer hardware! LOL! Ok. Before I get into that I would like to mention a few things first. Things are changing around here by me. I am moving next month into an apartment and my mother is selling her house. So I won't have a shop:( BUT! I have been talking to A.C.Ryan and they are still backing me up on whatever I want to do. So this is what i'm going to do, ummm,...... get another shop! DUH! I also have some good news for you guy too. I'm not going ot explain it all right now. I am going to redesign my web page, tribaloverkill.acryan.com. I'm going to convert it from a webpage to a website where I will post there regularly. Everything you need to know about me and what i'm doing with ACRYAN can be found there. You have to check it out. It's important! All my worklogs will be there, pictures only though. You have to visit the forum here for my comments on how I did certain things yadda yadda. There's some other stuff that you guyz will need to read once I am done. If you dont read it,.. you WILL miss out:) Miss out on what? Well,... you'll have to read it when it's up. I'll be working on this website ASAP! I'll let you guyz know it's it's done. I think thats all i have to say right now. TO THE UPDATE!

May-10-2006

First,... here's the pics of the PSU "thing". Power Diode right?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pretty sure it came from here. You see the two holes? You think if I got a new one and solder it back it would work again? Well,... I bought a new one and thats what im using right now. I also got a new mobo and that was all I need to get my machine back up and running. Thank god:)
    [​IMG]

Here's the other shield! the other side that is,...
    [​IMG]

Taped and ready to be cut out.
    [​IMG]

Cut, filed, sanded, polished(on the other side),...... flung against the wall at the speed of sound, banged to S@#$, banged flat again, filed again, sander again, polished,.... again. Done. PHEW!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

PATENT PENDING BABY!!! LOL.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ugly bolt heads I know. I'm going to get my hands on some nice ones down the road. You wont even see these bolts though. Going to replace them anyways.
    [​IMG]

The type of bolt being used is the kind where the threads on the bolt dont go all the way to the head. The nylon washer has two jobs. Space the fan and hold the fan bolts to the shield. Just turn the bolts to fasten the fan down baby!!! It's sweet.
    [​IMG]

Fan mounted! How cool is that! Pure yum.

To mount the shield to the HDD rack,... you fasten it down through the blades of the fan:) It was pretty easy!
    [​IMG]

Done. Lights off.

Lights on. How cool is that. I love it.

Inside the case.

Lit.
    [​IMG]

Some chrome hose,...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So what you guyz think? Going to be designing the fan shield/ cover, whatevre its going to be very soon.

20. tribaloverkill

WOW! Yea! First update in how long! I didnt get anything done today too! Let me explain,... so yea. It's been how long? So I went to the studio and pulled Blackout out from the shadows. I dusted her off a bit and though I was going to get right to work! WRONG! LOL. I had to like figure out where I left off and what I had to do now. So yea. I found out the I have to shave some off of the LED cover and the new floor of the 5.25" rack because the back side panel or the right one if your looking at the front of the case, wont close. Not a problem. I didnt fix that right then and there. So,...

Jan-30-2007 (Blackout)

Here's where I left off,... the HDD rack thingie.

I love how the HDD rack sits right up on the window like this. It's not right up on the window but it's close. When lights go out,... you wont even be able to see it! God I love that.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This side is finished. I have to work on the other side now. I ahev to make sure this rack is in the right position before taking measurements.
    [​IMG]

Here's the fan side.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Whats I want is the fan to suck and blow across the HDD's. I want to fan to suck in cold air from teh bottom of the case. Here's a mock-up I was playing around with today. I was just trying to get an idea of how this will work and how it will look.

When I go to work tonight,... hopefully it will be slow so that I can draw out what I want this cover thing to look like. I don't really want to waste time in the studio drawing. I want to get right to work. Sorry this is all I have for today but I plan on spending several days on this before I get back to the levo shields, tZOS.