1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What is the best 22" to 24" gaming monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tele1952, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Tele1952

Tele1952 What's a Dremel?

Hey there,
    I hope this website can help me
    My son's 18th birthday is coming up soon and on his wish list was a new 'sweet' monitor so he can use it for his xbox and pc.
    Could you suggest any brands? Samsung look very well made!

I definitely won't go beyond 24", as the price will be a little too high.

What features are important for a good gaming monitor?

Kind regards

Tim Grimes

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The best?

the Dell2209WA for a 22" and the U2410 for 24".

Both are a bit pricier but they're far better than most monitors in the $200-$300 because of the H-IPS and E-IPS panels they use.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Dell U2410... not only the best for gaming due to it's super wide view angle, and super nice colors (may require minor visual calibration with the monitor custom profile to get it just right... in my case I just required to increase the Y channel saturation but a few points and reduce Red channel by a few points, to get it very close to the Adobe RGB color profile, which is pre-calibrated for you), but it packed with connections. Using Adobe RGB, will only show the 8-bit colors that the monitor can show without using it's larger LUT.. so you may see dithering on some colors. Also, as it focuses more on color accuracy, it will increase input lag, hence why I recommend for games to use the custom profile, or use the "Video" color profile mode, for a more optimization on movies and games. The lack of glossy screen makes it easy to view anywhere at any time of the day. The stand is also in metal (black parts are plastic cover for design). Also, has low black light bleeding, thanks to it's IPS panel, over the standard TN panel.

A perfect work, and great gaming monitor.

However, it is very pricey, as mentioned.... But frankly... this maybe the best non-professional monitor you can buy, today.

4. Tele1952

Those 2 both look great!! However I wish our family was swimming in cash but we are not. Dell U2410 at £435 (ebuyer) is a little over my limit. Dell2209WA is more like it!

Sorry I should have put a price limit:

£200-250

Anything else you could recommend around that price range?

Kind regards

Tim

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Purely for gaming (and if you can stand the low quality image of TN panels) I'd probably look at one of those 120Hz gaming monitors like the Samsung SM2233RZ.

Otherwise, I'd definitely go with either the Dell 2209WA, the HP LP2475W or the Dell U2410.

The best all-round monitor of the lot (and in your price range) is most certainly the 2209WA.

If you also want to use the monitor to watch movies etc. you should note, however, that the monitor itself cannot scale 16:9 images (in case you decide to attach e.g. a BD player to it). You'd have to use software to scale images.

6. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Another vote for the Dell 2209WA. I've had mine for a couple of months now and can't fault it. It seems to have gone up in price a bit since I bought mine for some reason - £240ish now as opposed to just under £200 in October - but you're not going to get a better monitor for that price.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

120hz is still a gimmick, well unless you have an uber graphics card.

8. Tele1952

I've looked into the Dell 2209WA, it looks spectacular, however I asked a friend about it and he said what gamers are more worried about is response time, not seeing the screen clearly at different angles. The Dell is 6ms.

Should I be looking for a 2ms monitor then? Is there a huge difference?

Do non-TN monitors last longer than TN monitors then since eIPS display is more expensive??

Kind regards

Tim

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

don't worry about the response time i had one of those "2ms monitors" and it wasn't any better than 2209WA i own now.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

ditto

11. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

6ms response time is completely insignificant, even with a higher response time you're unlikely to notice any problems. 2ms is just unnecessary. Go with the 2209, the higher quality panel is well worth it.