1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Projector, update: DEC 12 - 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 26 Apr 2006.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

wow...really nice to be on the modders page, and to read all nice comments of this project. Feals greate to get some feedback in return of all late nights in the workshop :).Really encurages me to start my next project as soon as possible.

Well ,im not so shure about the lamp commercial projectors use but I think it is a similar type of lamp but it is much smaller. I would say the size is one of the downsides with these type of lamps I use, and with the size commes the heat. And the lamp design itself is not optimal for a smaller commercial projector. But for a DIY projector, it fits nicely. Thats the downsides I can think of, but the manufacturers probably have some reasons.

Time to upload some pics :) will take a while though...

/GNU

2. Smin

Smin What's a Dremel?

This is amazing. Awesome work man. :clap:

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Looking good, remember to take good pics of the finished product so that we can enjoy your work and craftmanship too :thumb:

And also, I'm really looking forward for your next project, consider me subscribed to that already :hehe:

Janne

4. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Looks good Gnu, cant believe I've missed this one :S
    Will follow closely now :p

Good work!

Petter

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Here are some more pictures...and one step further.

This is the "airhole" for the fan that will cool the TFT display. The electronics on the side is the 240v-->12v converter, to power the TFT and the fans.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Kind of hard to see but this is the mechanism for the front mainpower switch. Mounting it as it is suposed to (in horizontal position) would have been impossible because it was blocking the bottom fan. So I hade to create this little "angle". Forgot to take pics before putting it all together but when you push the button(the larger cylinder) the original switch is forced upwards (to the right in pic) and it turns on/off.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Bit of dark pic of the buttons. That larger button is the mainpower (pic #2) for TFT and LAMP. It turns on the lamp and tft at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Triplet lens is mounted.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Wee look at that cable mess...I checked all the cables 5 times to make shure i didn't mix them up. And with that cable mess it was really needed.
    The triplet lens holder is painted matt black as the rest of the inside of the case. Its to minimize light other than from the tft to escape, because it will affect the projected image. and YES that's toilet paper....just incase there is an accident. :worried:
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Time to fire it up..Hope I got the wiering right.

IT WORKS!!... First time ever I have been so happy to get a blue screen. It shows that the tft and all the wiering works. The blu led is lit when the whole projector is switched on, the red one is lit as long as there is a power cable connected and the main power switch on the back is turned on. They are not as bright as in the pics, and they are stealthed to not be vissible when they are turned off.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is the finished fan hole on the topplate... I think I spent 6-7 hours creating this one, because I wante it perfect. First i drilled holes in a row and then use my dremel to cut most of it... then i used a file and sandpaper to finish it of.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The topplate in place. and it fits perfect.., never expected that to happen.
    There will be 4 "modded" mounting screws on top to hold it in place too. ..one in each corner.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The internals at the moment. Most cables sorted out..but there is a little bit more tidying up to do. Btw the heatsink on the light box is removed temporarly...it created a little mis fit with the lid.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Thats it for today.. will try to get some result pics tomorrow as I didn't have a long enough VGA cable to try it today.

Time to sleep.

/GNU

Last edited: 26 Sep 2006
  6. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

that rocks, the care and attention to detail is amazing.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

it looks stunning! If it would be available in a shop i would have proberly bought it :D

8. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

It looks beautiful, I like the brushed aluminum. Looks like it came from a factory its that good.

Jimbo

9. nightmare03

nightmare03 What's a Dremel?

Look's alot better than most commercial projectors :rock:

Fantastic work gnu! Looking forward to even more pics :clap:

10. GT40_GearHead

GT40_GearHead What's a Dremel?

damn i go away for a month and look what you do
    congratulations on the work you did so far and let us not forget the front page

11. Jewno

Jewno industrial designer

beautiful projector!

12. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Really nice!!!!

13. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

once again this is another stunning update cant wait to see this running

will you post a video of it running for us to see the picture quality?

14. Bachy

Bachy What's a Dremel?

Superb attention to detail! Love the machined parts

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yes I will try to get a video of it running. Just need to borrow some friends camera because the one I got has really crapy videoquality.
    Im gona test the projector with vga input right now. Will take a while to set it all up though...hopefully I will get some decent pics to show of later tonight.

/GNU

16. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Can't wait to see the pics!

Please hurry though as I am going out on a Pub Crawl in an hour!

(Freshers Week)!

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Nooo!!!

I spent almost an hour to clean up the room and rearange the furnitures and moved the pc acros the room when I relised I got the wrong vga -cable. I got male-male, I need male-femal connectors. Sorry no pics today either :( will buy a new cable tomorrow. So typical mee. :wallbash:

/GNU

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

FINALY.. I have got some result pics to show.
    the image is projected on a white wall.. It is relly not the best option. I would rather have used my projector screen that I made a couple of months ago, but I dont have acces to that at the moment, because this is just a temporary home. So It will have to do for now.
    The image size is around 70" i would guess.. you got a cd in the uper right corner in some pics to get a feeling of the size.
    The resolution is 800x480 on the screen but my desktop is at 1024x768 on these pictures so thats why there is a little bit of blur on the closeup shots of the text.

There will be more pictures to come. But this will do for now :)
    Was hard to take good pictures that gives a tru image of the brightness. But I think these where most "relistic" ones.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)
    Some good old quake III..
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

ill be back :)

/GNU

19. puppysquisher

puppysquisher What's a Dremel?

20. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

Wow, that's some incredible work! Have you considered working as a prototyping machinist? You've got a real knack for turning ordinary into incredible. I'd hate to see all this talent wasted on a meat bandsaw =P

For the screws in the top, i'd suggest either using low profile flat head screws, or press-in style standoffs and then sanding them smooth.