1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 update keeps installing the same updates, how to solve?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Picky88, 25 May 2013.

1. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I am using a genuine version of windows 7 professional 64 bit. During the download of two new windows updates, we had a power cut. The computer restarted fine, but now the two updates will appear to successfully install, and then I check for updates again and it says the same two updates are not installed. I have repeated this process about 4 times now.

I have tried hiding the updates, and then restoring them, but the same thing happens. It starts by "installing" the updates, even though before the power cut it had yet to fully download them.

How can I reset it so that it attempts to download them again, and hopefully install successfully this time?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

- Did you try to clean the Temp folder, and try again? (the update might show again, but let it pass, and see if it's gone after).

- Is the update .NET? If so, Uninstall .NET from the Program & Feature Panel (aka: Add/Remove Program from the old days), restart your computer, and try again.

- Open The Troubleshooter panel, and tell it to fix Windows Update? (Start > type: Troubleshoot > select: Troubleshooting), and select Windows Update. Once done, restart your computer, and see if it works (the update might show again, but let it pass, and see if it's gone after).

If all fails:
    With System Restore in Windows, you can take your system back in time, before your had this problem, from which you can try again.

Last edited: 25 May 2013
  3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Hold down the Windows key and hit 'r' to bring up the Run command box. Type 'regsvr32 jscript', then 'regsvr32 vbscript', and finally 'regsvr32 /i mshtml', making sure to select 'OK' each time.

Restart your PC and it should now update.

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Can you post the kb numbers of the updates?

5. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Frustratingly only 3 system restore points were available, all of which had occurred after the problem had started. Also aramil, your third command generated an error when submitted.

Problem was solved by uninstalling two .NET packages through the control panel, and then redownloading the updates when the showed up. Now all up to date! Although I do want to research why I have so few system restore points available.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

disk cleanup, and more options, you've probably cleaned up the system restore at some point, or limited the size of the system restore archive.

7. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Went into system settings, restore points were set to use only 1% of available disk space so I increased it. Thanks again people.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Also, If you use a disk defragmenter that is not the one in Windows, they will break restore points.
    The reason for this, is that Windows picks a location to store bits of data that is different from the original file. This way it saves significantly space consumed. Defrag software beside Windows' one, doesn't know where it is, and when it comes to these bits, it moves them, trying to make them fit with data. This breaks everything, and you loose your system restore points.