1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Chop of the month?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Da Dego, 4 Apr 2008.

?

Would you join in a "Chop of the Month" contest regularly?

1. You bet! Sign me up...I'll do it regularly!

31.0%
  2. I'm no good at that, but it would be cool to see one anyway.

50.0%
  3. Picture of the Month is quite enough for me, thanks.

19.0%
  1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hey all,

This is JUST an interest-gathering session for a possible "Chop of the month" to go alongside our current POTM competition. If you vote "Yes, I'd participate" then I would appreciate your suggestions for any rules that could be issued.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL CONTEST - I would simply like to see exactly what level of interest there would truly be. It would help those of you who have 3d modeling, CGI and photoshop skills to show off your own talents!

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I think strict themes would be needed on this, but obviously the freedom of any program is allowed.
    Well up for this!

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

How exactly would the contest operate? Are you thinking something similar to worth1000, where a theme and guidelines are given and each person can photoshop any photo they want that fits the theme?

4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Having this themed just like POTM is a very good idea :thumb:

5. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I really like the idea overall, and do enjoy browsing these forums, observing the interesting pictures, even though don't own a camera myself. Great things can come out of this, and I really look forward to seeing this put into effect!

6. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

I love the idea, and I would participate every time I have the chance (meaning time).

It would be cool if there was a theme and you had to use an image from last moth POTM, only problem is that the photographer have to give there permission to ever image, but it would be cool :)

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I'm no good at 'chopping but I think it would be great to see themes the same as the POTM contest, should be interesting to compare and contrast.

8. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Cheers Da Dego, funnily enough I was about to post a poll, but you beat me to it!

Matching the themes to POTM is a good idea, also limiting the pictures to the last month's POTM would be very interesting, even potentially annoying for me, cause cars are my favourite thing to chop!

Cheers though man, and if you're looking for someone to run it - I'd be up for that.

Joe

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

My Photoshopping skills suck beyond basic photo editing stuff, but it'd be great to see what others can do. Maybe for the winners, they could get to do a small guide based on what techniques they used to get their winning pic?

I also think matching the POTM theme is a good idea in theory, but will this make COTM be perceived as less worthy as POTM because they don't choose their own themes? I'd suggest either alternating between POTM & COTM choosing the theme (with the caveat that the theme must be applicable to both media) or letting COTM have its own theme.
    But I see POTM themes as giving people a reason to photograph things that perhaps they wouldn't normally shoot - it takes them outside their "comfort zone", if you will. It helps people stretch their capabilities and learn something new.

I think that COTM should do the same thing - persuade people to do something new, to try something they've never tried before.

10. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

It would need a theme or even just a starter image to hack at.

11. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

I agree, there needs to be a starting image and theme. Photoshop is all about image manipulation, so it could vary depending on the theme/starting image as to the rules for that month. Perhaps a simple image could be added to by the participants own art/photography pieces, and a more complex starter image could be strictly only the manipulation of that image. Upon entry contestants should give a breakdown showing the program used and the filters used so that it can be seen the rules have been adhered to as much as possible.

Its a great idea, as it is more easily accessible than photography, since most people have access to some form of image manipulating software and we will all no doubt be using entries for somewhat unique desktop backgrounds.

12. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

TBH, I think the rules should be near-as-dammit the same as POTM, just adjusted for COTM.

So something like this:

* A theme will be chosen each month.
    * Up to two pictures may be entered per person each month.
    * You must be the author of the image entered.
    * Entries may be posted from the 1st of each month and the competition will close at 11PM GMT the 25th.
    * Each entrant can vote fives times on which photos they think have achieved the best overall results for the month, taking into account technical skill and artistic talent. These votes range in 'weight', with 5 points (the best!) through to 1 (no, just, just no.) point being given.
    * Near the end of the month (most likely around the 28th) the results will be analysed and the person with the most votes will be notified, then they will choose the theme for the next month.

Keep the chops to around 1280x1024 max, filesize is up to the individual, but obviously, less is better for quicker loading, but you don't want compression to ruin your masterpiece.

No prizes, apart from kudos.

Those are my suggestions, if anybody has anything else to add, or change, then please say.

Joe

13. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I probably won't participate in the contest, but I really like the idea. (I will probably enter something in the end, but I have to learn how to use PS first.. ;) )

There are several ways of doing this. Full freedom, or a set (or even just one) picture. I'm more for full freedom, as it gives more room for creativity. Limiting to one picture could easily end up as a "battle between PS filters".

I believe having a theme is a good idea, though.

So my suggestion is basically just to go for something identical to the POTM system.

14. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I second this. A small guide next to each shot for others to learn new techniques.

Cyp.

15. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

You have to be wary of letting people edit whatever photo they want, because you could end up with people entering photos that they don't own the copyright to. Since bit tech is a commercial site, it's something to be careful about!

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Define 'Chop'.

Photoshop or other post-processing programs are part of today's photography workshop. While I try to keep it minimal (and always do for our contests, per the rules), that's me. As far as I'm concerned, a photoshop contest is what Fark has, which I expect isn't what we have in mind. I'm much more for changing the rules on our existing POTM contest - allow much more heavy photoshopping, though make people explain what they did for major stuff.

As that doesn't really fit any of the poll options, I'm not voting.

17. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

The disadvantage of providing a picture to chop is it forces out 3d Modeling as the point of that is making something from scratch. Following running it as a competition independent of POTM but with similar rules, obviously adapted to the nature, seems the best idea with the 1st based something on what POTM is at that time.

If anyone reads the Canon EOS magazine there was an article in there with a truck rendered onto a HDI image of a bridge. That would breach rules of POTM but is in its self a brilliant picture which would fit fine into a COTM (although not really a chop).

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I think it'd be cool, although personally I just like slipping my own stuff into an odd thread here and there as a bounce-off joke or something. But Chop of the Month would be cool to check out for laughs, ooohs, ahhhs, and DAYAMN!'s.

19. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Thumbs up for the idea and although my PS skills are pretty limited, I'd prob. give it a try just for the fun of it.
    Imo m0o0oeh's rules are a good foundation, but instead of a theme chosen I think just chosing a picture
    would be better, because everybody has his own style and I guess it would be pretty interesting to see
    what different people did with the same picture.

20. 3rr0r

3rr0r What's a Dremel?

I would like to try this out too. It would be nice if along with a theme was a base image as suggested, that way it will level the playing field a little. I'm not an expert at Photoshop, but I'd like to think I can do some neat stuff If I try, and this would be a great way to keep my skills polished :)