1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Drop us an idea, win 6GB of DDR3 memory!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Jul 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

This contest is probably only permitted in the UK, but what the hell:

1.) Show the impact of the memory in testing on several platforms and not just one. Socket 775, AM2+ for DDR2 and 775, AM3, and 1136 for DDR3. Since most of the the already important parts (processor, motherboard) are already going to be different, and depending on the strictness of your tests this may allow you to test multiple platforms simultaneously. At the very least this will only increase the time to do your tests by a minor amount but give your reader base much more information. Only downside to this being there will be more variability because even though you may use the same hardware SKUs (meaning, you would be using 3 graphics cards instead of one that gets tossed between 2 systems) they will still differ slightly which may or may not significantly skew results (something you might have to test first).

2.) Practically everyone knows that for most programs differences in timings and bandwidth make a minute difference. However, to make your tests really interesting (and perhaps more useful) would be to lump your Image Editing and Video Encoding, and File Compression and Multitasking tests into one giant multitasking test. A fraction of a second difference is nothing to write home about in one program benchmark, but if you extrapolate that to a large number of programs running simultaneously the differences could be significant to some people. The downside I could see from this is that you would have to use kits with the same memory capacity, but you'll be testing kits in the same price bracket against each other so this doesn't seem like a huge concern. This will also save you time in the benchmarking process because you will be running all tests at the same time.

3.) Some people still don't run DDR2, let alone DDR3. Show the differences between DDR, and DDR2/DDR3. You can simulate this by running PC2 6400 RAM at PC2 3200 and tighten the timings as best you can. Probably not the best idea, however I would still throw in some older kits in there. In your DDR2/DDR3 reviews toss in some DDR2 533Mhz & DDR2 667. Like my previous point was, not everybody is running the latest and greatest and it will be important to those people if they should make a relatively cheap upgrade to DDR2 800/DDR2 1066+.

2. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Nope:

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Adding how hot ram gets is very useful - my FBDIMMS burn when touched even after the servers have been off for a while.. (I can't actually install ram in all the slots without using a fan of some kind as it just over heats and dies :()

RAMDisks could be a good way to test how fast RAM actually is?

Warranty considerations?

4. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

+1
    thermal image would show how efficient the heatspreader is in absorbing and dissipating the heat, across the entire heatspreader. how well the heatspreader gets rid of heat would surely affect a few of our purchases, and it would be nice to see whether the extra paid for the more complex designs are worth it. that and it will look funky too

also, maybe some kind of ball-busting benchmark, that pushes a kit of RAM to its very limits, so that only the worthy kits actually pass. personally, i've got nfi what such a test might be, but if it can cause some silicon to melt, then i reckon its suitable (as long as we get pics)

also, boobs... maybe get companies to send some sort of promo babe with the RAM, and hotness of the babe counts towards the RAM's overall score? (pics must again be included in the review)

5. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Testing how easy it is to remove the stock heatsinks could be interesting.

Following that testing how useful 3rd party coolers and RAM waterblocks are? Like what gains in terms of speed and temperature can be had from them.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

how about testing ramdisk performance. a viable option now that memory i smore abundant (esp when 4GB sticks a widely availible)

7. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

You guys should mention what chip is used in each kit you test, since I think that's the most important factor regarding performance.

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Instead of always reviewing and comparing the ultra fast (read expensive) rams, why not review ultra cheap rams, compare that to the ultra fast rams. And let the benchmarks show how the buyers of ultra fast rams are fools paying that much for 2 microseconds of fame...

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Why am I James May?

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

You could drop it out a 4th storey window and see which ones work?

11. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Well since I'm still on DDR, it would be interesting to see how much of a difference the move to DDR2-3 makes..
    Also would be cool to see how more blocks influence the performance.. as in is 2 faster than 4 blocks?

neither of these things are a format or a general way of reviewing memory though as they would be a one off article.

I think one thing that would be a good idea to include it testing the memory against cheapo value memory. Especially considering that not all of us overclock our systems, and consequently it would be interesting to see if the higher price is justified by better performance at stock speed.
    I like the compatibility idea, but can see how it would quickly be a lot of work...

other than that.. I can only say BRING ON THE BOOBS :D

12. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

[​IMG]

MSPaint Cheesecake!

EDIT: What's with this wordfilter that doesn't let me express how much this image is contributing to victory?

13. Metrology

Metrology What's a Dremel?

Try eating the memory (wash it down with energy drinks). Then tell us if you can remember more stuff after eating it.

14. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Make art of of all the RAM, seeing which one looks the best, and goes with which colours.

Make it funny (i want to ROFL).

Also, have swordfights?

See how long they take to die at like 3kmhz.

See how water resistant they are (incase watercooling goes wrong)!

PLease let me win...

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Range of voltages it'll accept; lowest stable voltage, highest without frying. Then fry it!

And include temperatures.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Honestly?

What I look for in reviews are a few benchmarks, at first so people can get a feel for the differences between different speeds and timings, and how they affect performance (a lot of people still ask if lower timings or more raw MHz are better for example), but this is less important when you have a few reviews done, as the differences between different kits with the same timings and speeds are minimal at best. Throw in your usual ratings (for value, performance and the like), and we are on to a winner.

But, being bit-tech, I want a little bit more for us enthusiasts; the obligatory overclocking session (be careful to point out that YMMV though, ofcourse), details on the chips used, removal of heatspreaders (will show up those sticks with bad memory contact etc, and also allow you to see the chips used), and benchmarks showing the difference between stock and overclocked speeds/timings, so people can tell if the effort, potential voltage increases and the like are worth the performance gains.

Obviously, I can appreciate that such reviews are boring, so benchmarks should be kept to a minimum, purely for sake of completeness should they be in there. Things that would be more helpful are tests of games and programs etc. But again, not too many.

Other than that, at the end of the day it is just RAM. There is only so much you can do. Throw in the usual bit-tech humour and attention to detail, and you are looking at more of the usual; the best hardware reviews on the web.

Finally, if I were to have my way; Good looking, semi clothed girls + alcohol + violence + general messing about + all the above RAM talk = The most thorough, entertaining and downright enjoyable RAM reviews to ever exist!

17. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Damn, I forgot to mention boobs............. epic fail on my part..........

18. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

maybe see how fast it performs in a Linux environment and if at all any improvements is made.

Files servers and media servers. Does the ram improve the performance in real life situations.

For got he bench tests and do some real life results. Over a month of useage does the user relay notice any difference.

Do all the fancy lights on ran make the system look any better or do they make it look like a cheap stripper club......

Do the heat spreader really do a good job or are they just a fancy needed add-on. Which Heat spreader does a good job and wich are just a waist of metal.

19. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

I'm on a games design course at the moment, i know its not as sexy as how well the RAM performs with crysis 6 but i'd like to see how well the RAM does at rendering in 3D software like the brilliant Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2010.

20. centy

centy DFI Nutter

Thorough if possible, and roundups are good :)

IC's used and as much info about those as possible.
    Any special features of reviewed modules.
    High quality photographs of the modules.
    Platform/Chipset compatibilty check.
    Popular motherboard compatibilty/performance check.
    Your overclocking results, tighest timings/highest clock speed, voltages etc. Results may vary which is fine, we can check other reviews aswell, problems occur when manufacturers quietly change ICs used so it'd be good to have edits for that too should that happen.
    Sisoft and Everest memory bandwith graphs.
    Gaming + Real World Benchies
    What is customer support experience like? Where do I have to RMA my modules to?
    Value Assesment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.